The Student Room Group

A-level subjects

So I’m 16 and about to start sixth form this September, and I’ve chosen the A-levels: Geography, Environmental science and English language/Literature.
I’ve already decided that I want to become a woodland manager/ forester in the future, yet I’m concerned whether I should have replaced English language/literature with biology, as when I tried to research about recommend A-levels for doing a forestry degree at Uni, a lot of the websites stated that A-level biology was required/ recommended.
However, I really like English language/literature and have good grades in it, and I’m stuck in which if I should keep or replace English language/literature with biology instead to guarantee myself being able to do a forestry degree in the future.
Sorry if what if what I wrote doesn’t make sense, do tell me to elaborate further if you don’t understand what I mean, I’m just really desperate to know as soon as possible, as I don’t want to have to change the A-level in my second year of sixth form, and become behind with my learning.
Original post by DannyRiches23
So I’m 16 and about to start sixth form this September, and I’ve chosen the A-levels: Geography, Environmental science and English language/Literature.
I’ve already decided that I want to become a woodland manager/ forester in the future, yet I’m concerned whether I should have replaced English language/literature with biology, as when I tried to research about recommend A-levels for doing a forestry degree at Uni, a lot of the websites stated that A-level biology was required/ recommended.
However, I really like English language/literature and have good grades in it, and I’m stuck in which if I should keep or replace English language/literature with biology instead to guarantee myself being able to do a forestry degree in the future.
Sorry if what if what I wrote doesn’t make sense, do tell me to elaborate further if you don’t understand what I mean, I’m just really desperate to know as soon as possible, as I don’t want to have to change the A-level in my second year of sixth form, and become behind with my learning.

Two questions.
1. You say, "a lot of the websites stated that A-level biology was required/ recommended". Were these the web sites of the universities to which you would be interested in applying? If not, do take a look at those sites. Those are the only requirements which really matter.
2. Is Biology a viable A level for you? (I guess I'm asking whether you're any good at it.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Two questions.
1. You say, "a lot of the websites stated that A-level biology was required/ recommended". Were these the web sites of the universities to which you would be interested in applying? If not, do take a look at those sites. Those are the only requirements which really matter.
2. Is Biology a viable A level for you? (I guess I'm asking whether you're any good at it.)

Sorry for the late reply, yes, the sites i mentioned were the universities that I had I mind, (Bangor University and Cumbria University), for Bangor university A-level wise as entry requirements, it says a grade C in a science subject at A2 level, it then gave some examples, and my two other A-levels , geography and environmental science were given as examples, so I think that I would be fine if I stuck with A-level English language/literature, whilst Cumbria university’s A-level entry requirements as grades from CCC-BBC.
And to answer your question, I was average at Biology at GCSE, I only did Combined Higher and my predicted grades for science was only 6/6, nothing extraordinary, but I have yet to get my final gcse results as of next week to see if I maybe got any higher.
I didn’t overall find biology too hard, I just struggled a bit with the practicals in both carrying them out and understanding the results of the practicals afterwards, this including practical exam questions
Sorry for the late reply, yes, the sites i mentioned were the universities that I had I mind, (Bangor University and Cumbria University), for Bangor university A-level wise as entry requirements, it says a grade C in a science subject at A2 level, it then gave some examples, and my two other A-levels , geography and environmental science were given as examples, so I think that I would be fine if I stuck with A-level English language/literature, whilst Cumbria university’s A-level entry requirements as grades from CCC-BBC.
And to answer your question, I was average at Biology at GCSE, I only did Combined Higher and my predicted grades for science was only 6/6, nothing extraordinary, but I have yet to get my final gcse results as of next week to see if I maybe got any higher.
I didn’t overall find biology too hard, I just struggled a bit with the practicals in both carrying them out and understanding the results of the practicals afterwards, this including practical exam questions

From what you've written, both Bangor and Cumbria would be happy with those A level subjects. I'd take a look at a few more universities (you get to apply to five), and make sure they'd be happy too. If so, stick with English Language/Literature as it sounds like you'll enjoy that more and get a better grade in it.

In your original post you wrote, "a lot of the websites stated that A-level biology was required/ recommended." Neither the Bangor nor Cumbria's web sites (that I can see) state that Biology is required or recommended (other than as a science, which you can cover-off with both Environmental Science and Geography). So presumably you saw this requirement elsewhere?
Reply 4
From what you've written, both Bangor and Cumbria would be happy with those A level subjects. I'd take a look at a few more universities (you get to apply to five), and make sure they'd be happy too. If so, stick with English Language/Literature as it sounds like you'll enjoy that more and get a better grade in it.

In your original post you wrote, "a lot of the websites stated that A-level biology was required/ recommended." Neither the Bangor nor Cumbria's web sites (that I can see) state that Biology is required or recommended (other than as a science, which you can cover-off with both Environmental Science and Geography). So presumably you saw this requirement elsewhere?

Yes, I searched generally to see if A-level biology was , to have been taken in sixth form in order to do a forestry degree in university, though now thinking about it, I’m not sure how credible it is, but I stumbled upon the student room Uni guide for forestry courses, and it says at least one science as an a-level (chemistry, biology, physics)
Yes, I searched generally to see if A-level biology was , to have been taken in sixth form in order to do a forestry degree in university, though now thinking about it, I’m not sure how credible it is, but I stumbled upon the student room Uni guide for forestry courses, and it says at least one science as an a-level (chemistry, biology, physics)

Understood. As I said before, it's only the requirements of your target universities which really matter. The two you've mentioned so far would be fine with your original A subjects. So I'd stick with those, personally.
Reply 6
Understood. As I said before, it's only the requirements of your target universities which really matter. The two you've mentioned so far would be fine with your original A subjects. So I'd stick with those, personally.

Alright, thanks you so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest