The Student Room Group

L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss

Having never dyed my hair before I recently dyed my dark blonde hair with L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss in 535 chocolate. Basically it has come out really red and I think it'll only get redder as the dye starts to fade; i really dislike it and it is absolutely nothing like I expected.

So, what should I do?
Should I re-dye over it with a darker shade which will be browner rather than red and hopefully I will hate it less, or does anyone have any tips for getting semi-permanent hair dye out of your hair faster?

Reply 1
in future it may be worth you trying garnier nutrisse, superdrug's own brand or boot's hair colour because they are easier to wash out if you make any mistakes. it takes just a few washes. try washing your hair several times to see if the colour will improve. if it doesn't, it's probably best if you go to the hairdressers and they'll be able to rectify any problems.
Do you use hair straighteners?

If not, then you could try using a colour stripper like Colour B4, but it may make the red more obvious, in which case you'd need to dye over it with a more brunette colour.

Just a note to say that Casting Creme Gloss isn't actually that semi-permanent, as it contains peroxide!
Oh I have heard other people say that one's really red before.

Change your shampoo to head and shoulders - this strips colour out. If that doesn't work, get a colour stripper.

When I dyed my hair red then decided I wanted it brown then decided I wanted it red, I then changed my mind again (lol) several months later and wanted to go back to blonde, and my hair was permanently stained red, the ends are still a bit ginger.

So my advice is strip it all out, don't dye over it. Red never comes out, especially from blonde.
Reply 4
Ilora - I do use hair straighteners, does that make a difference?
Original post by Bananagram
Ilora - I do use hair straighteners, does that make a difference?
Unfortunately, yeah it does. The heat from the straighteners basically cooks the inside of the hair, sealing the colour on the outside.

Which means it's much more difficult to remove.
I had exactly the same problem, dyed my hair with the chocolate casting creme gloss and it had a really noticeable red tinge and I hated it :/

Basically, I dyed over it in iced latte (i think) and it took the red away and left it with a medium brown colour. I've used casting creme gloss loads and although it states its a semi-permanent it just doesn't seem to fade, which is a pain when it goes wrong!

It might be worth a try using colourb4 in extra strength, if its your first time dying it it should bring you somewhere near your natural colour :smile:

I dyed mine for around 6 years with permanent reds, purples and dark browns and it brought my hair really light gingerish so it might be worth giving it a go, and then chosing a different shade of brown
Reply 7
if it's got a reddish tinge it's probably not a good idea to use a stripper because red has a tendency to go very orange!it'll fade super fast as all red does so just cover it with a different brown
I have seem to have encountered the exact same problem. Never dyed my hair before - it was naturally a dark blonde and after I used this exact hair dye I have stained it gingery red. Really really upset and not sure what to do. I could dye it darker but I all I really want is my natural hair back. Since this post was in 2011 - curious to see how it all turned out?!

Quick Reply

Latest