The Student Room Group

Economics at Imperial or LSE?

I hold offers from both Imperial and LSE to study Economics at undergraduate level, but I am conflicted about where to go... I know that LSE is more renowned for Economics, but I am more of a STEM student (having done Further Maths, Chemistry and Econ for A Level last summer) and I feel like Imperial is, in general, more well-known. I was wondering what people thought about the new course at Imperial!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hello, congratulations on both! if you don’t mind sharing, how did you structure your PS such that you covered Econs, Finance and Data Science while still remaining competitive for a pure Econs course at LSE? Because from what I heard many who tailored their PS to suit one course didn’t get the other school. Thank you so much!
Original post by clarislai
Hello, congratulations on both! if you don’t mind sharing, how did you structure your PS such that you covered Econs, Finance and Data Science while still remaining competitive for a pure Econs course at LSE? Because from what I heard many who tailored their PS to suit one course didn’t get the other school. Thank you so much!

I am applying for econ, finance and data science at imperial, but applying for a pure econ course at my other unis (UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and Bristol) and what i did was do 1 paragraph focused just on data science. I'm not sure how much weight to put on it as i dont want to put too much emphasis on it, but i made sure to express how relevant it is to economics. I think imperial will be more understanding if we don't talk about data science or finance too much as they are aware that it is a unique course and that most applicants will only be applying for pure econ courses at other unis.
Original post by gracie_1234
I hold offers from both Imperial and LSE to study Economics at undergraduate level, but I am conflicted about where to go... I know that LSE is more renowned for Economics, but I am more of a STEM student (having done Further Maths, Chemistry and Econ for A Level last summer) and I feel like Imperial is, in general, more well-known. I was wondering what people thought about the new course at Imperial!

Thanks!
Silly question - The BSc in Econ from LSE is the 'creme de la creme' of all the courses at LSE. Many prestigious employers chase graduates from this degree and while Imps is top for sciences - it cannot compete with the pedigree and expertise of LSE in Econ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending