The Student Room Group

The Trolley Problem [Moral Paradox]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OceanInTheSky
Why not just throw yourself in front of it and try to stop it? That way you have no guilt of taking someone's life, no guilt of doing nothing. You might succeed, you might fail, but you did all you could.

Because it requires a fat person and according to the image, you are not fat.
Reply 41
I said yes to both.

It's probably because everyone is too lazy to try and push a fat man onto the tracks.
Original post by StephenP91
Because it requires a fat person and according to the image, you are not fat.

But if any person could stop it would you toss yourself off the bridge?
Reply 43
Yes and yes.. but i dont think I'd have the guts (or strength) to do the second
I don't think I'd do anything...for all I know the 5 people are murderers and the one person on the other track is going to cure cancer (extreme, I know, but it's possible)
Original post by littlemissm
I don't think I'd do anything...for all I know the 5 people are murderers and the one person on the other track is going to cure cancer (extreme, I know, but it's possible)

And for all you know the one person is Hitlin (the bastard evil offspring of Hitler & Stalin) and the other 5 will become the Power Rangers next week and save the universe.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. You don't know them so it's irrelevant.
Reply 46
Find out that which you value and apply it.
In an ideal world I personally value length of life/how many lives/my relationship with said lifeforms. In the circumstances outlined I would always try to save the most amount of lives provided I am only given that information. If it transpired that the five on the track were all terminally ill and expected to die within the next week I would let the one person with the longer life live on. If they are all roughly equal in terms of life left (obviously so many unknown variables here but 'hypothetically'...) then for me the many outweight the one and the one will die provided that in the situation I am strong enough to do so.

I think the situation can be further complicated if any of the 5 are my family members or loved ones, or worse the 1 is my mum or sister for example. Then I would be inclined to save my family member, this maybe selfish but I cannot see anything which suggests that I have an imperative to do otherwise. I am aware of my own needs as all humans are and my subjective valuation of my family member cannot realistically be questioned. Peter Singer for example paid a lot of money to keep his ill mother alive, despite reasoning prior to this that people in her situation should logically be left to die. Singer being a huge proponent of logic, failing to execute his logical ideologies to me, is just confirming my view that humans are not bound by any form of logic/reasoning (arguably absolute or non-absolute).
Reply 47
Original post by Jackeeba
Find out that which you value and apply it.
In an ideal world I personally value length of life/how many lives/my relationship with said lifeforms. In the circumstances outlined I would always try to save the most amount of lives provided I am only given that information. If it transpired that the five on the track were all terminally ill and expected to die within the next week I would let the one person with the longer life live on. If they are all roughly equal in terms of life left (obviously so many unknown variables here but 'hypothetically'...) then for me the many outweight the one and the one will die provided that in the situation I am strong enough to do so.

I think the situation can be further complicated if any of the 5 are my family members or loved ones, or worse the 1 is my mum or sister for example. Then I would be inclined to save my family member, this maybe selfish but I cannot see anything which suggests that I have an imperative to do otherwise. I am aware of my own needs as all humans are and my subjective valuation of my family member cannot realistically be questioned. Peter Singer for example paid a lot of money to keep his ill mother alive, despite reasoning prior to this that people in her situation should logically be left to die. Singer being a huge proponent of logic, failing to execute his logical ideologies to me, is just confirming my view that humans are not bound by any form of logic/reasoning (arguably absolute or non-absolute).

The crux of this issue then is how much information we are presented with about everyone and everything involved; it is about 'limited knowledge'.

As thought experiments are meant to be restrained by the parameters assigned them, I think we should all try and keep to the original presentation of both situations:

In scenario A) All we are presented is that the runaway train will kill either five people or one person, depending on our decision. The lever will work, the people/person will die and we will be partially responsible for either fate.

In this hypothetical situation, I say I would pull the lever to save the five and kill the one. To me it is a question of how many humans will remain in the end. In reality, however, with adrenalin running high, time rapidly running out and emotions in full swing, I have no idea how I would react, even presented with the same amount of information.

(But of course it is a 'thought experiment': theory always changes in application in the real world)

In scenario B) I would do the same: sacrifice the one for the five when informed of nothing else.

Of course, using this logic turns me into nothing more than a robot.
We humans, as much as we try to fight it in this post-modern world, are still bound by emotions more than anything. Logical thinking is okay until those chemical impulses try (and often successfully) override everything.

With this in mind, I would feel more guilty throwing the large person off the bridge; mostly because, as has been speculated, it is the question of proximity and the feelings of responsibility. I would feel guilty either way, but moreso when I bear the emotional scars of having made contact with the person I killed; felt his breath; heard his scream; seen the fear in his eyes. It is these factors that would most likely dictate my decision in the moment.

The truth of the matter is, as most people in this thread have exposed, there are so many nuances in choice and possibility; unseen influences and consequences; and misunderstood intentions in reality that thought experiments such as these are nothing more than interesting ice-breakers.

I do love a good thought experiment discussion though.
Reply 48
I think that in each scenario, the one person should be sacrificed to save the five. However, the people here are cartoons; it would be a much harder choice to make if the situation were real.

If I stood by and let five people die, I would feel far more sickened with myself than if I saved five people by killing one. It would be a horrible choice to make, though.
Reply 49
I think this scenario is a sophism that on the surface looks like you have to make a choice, when in reality you are requested to make a choice. You don't have to become 'active' in any part of the question.

The die has been cast as it were. It may look like a choice to save someone however people are going to die regardless of your actions. You are given a choice of who to kill, simply put. To change the fate of one or many. Why then would you act? Morality? Quantity? Age? It's a self bestowal of the power of God.

The reader feels responsible for the train and its current path which is illogical. By not being present the outcome would be the same, therefore the only power I have is to kill someone unrelated (who was otherwise safe) to rescue others which is the crux of the debate. The person on the other side of the track is in no danger if we take the question at face value (imagine he is in a siding I guess). Nor is the fat man.

I am not responsible for what is happening to those five people, if I flick the switch I am solely responsible for that one death. I guess you could say you are implicit by inactivity but at best it's an argument full of holes.
Original post by 122lettie
You also don't know for sure that throwing the fat guy on the rails will actually stop the train...

That's what I thought as well- if you're flipping a switch then it almost certainly going to change the course of the train, whereas dropping a chubster in front of it might not anyway.
I would say yes for both I think
Reply 51
My word has this thread become dissipated. Is this not the debate section? If you want to have a chit chat why not do that somewhere else.
Not including you in this comment Holley Hiskey and cormack12.
Reply 52
Original post by Komakino
My word has this thread become dissipated. Is this not the debate section? If you want to have a chit chat why not do that somewhere else.
Not including you in this comment Holley Hiskey and cormack12.

Ahem? There's no 'chit-chat' here, it's just plenty of people replying to the original questions posed by the O.P.

Am I reading a different thread?
Reply 53
Original post by GeorgeLegg
Ahem? There's no 'chit-chat' here, it's just plenty of people replying to the original questions posed by the O.P.

Am I reading a different thread?

The comments on this page by Boo!xx, littlemissm, and History-Student, is what I'm talking about. They are a bit too informal, and irrelevant for a debate.
Reply 54
In both situations, I would do nothing.
Seeing as i'm not involved in both the senarios, I wouldn't take an active role and choose who dies and who lives. What right do I have to play God?

I don't think I would have any guilty feeling over doing nothing; as selfish as it sounds, the impending death of the five people on the tracks is NOT my responsibility or problem however, if I choose to flick the switch, the death of that one person WOULD be because of me. Death in both situations is ineveitable, how could I possibly choose?

Also, what right do I have to involve the fat man in a situation that he is not involved in. if he wanted to jump, then he would jump - I once again, should not play God and force actions upon people even if it could save the lives of others.
Reply 55
I'd say no to both. Not my right to make the decision to kill somebody.
flipping the switch would be a lot easier. you're more detached from the situation. having to physically push someone off the bridge, knowing they are going to die is far more difficult.

having said that, i would do nothing. i don't think it should be up to me to decide who lives and who dies.
Original post by Srxjer
This paradox was first published in a 1967 paper by the philosopher Professor Philippa Foot, and has generated much discussion in the fields of ethics, cognitive science and neuroethics ever since - especially when compared with another similar thought experiment.

The first scenario: The Switch

"A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are five people who have been tied to the track by a mad philosopher. Fortunately, you could flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch or do nothing?"

The second scenario: The Fat Man

"As before, a trolley is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you - your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five. Should you proceed?"

Now even though the outputs are exactly the same for both from a utilitarian viewpoint, a lot more people answer yes to the first problem than the second.

There has been some neuroscience research on why our moral intuitions differ with each scenario -- and it has to do with different parts of the brain: http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~jgreene/

I thought this was pretty interesting so I thought I'd share. What are your views on this? Wouldn't you agree that it just seems more difficult to answer yes to the second scenario and not the first?

My solution to both these problems is: do nothing. By letting the people die indirectly (through not acting) is far better than directly killing someone (by flicking the switch or pushing the fat man off the bridge) to save many others. By direct action you have committed murder whereas through indirect action you have merely been negligent. The solution is therefore obvious.
Original post by member591354
My solution to both these problems is: do nothing. By letting the people die indirectly (through not acting) is far better than directly killing someone (by flicking the switch or pushing the fat man off the bridge) to save many others. By direct action you have committed murder whereas through indirect action you have merely been negligent. The solution is therefore obvious.

good, that is essentially the solution. The question is, who are you to choose who dies or who lives? Who gave you the power?

Yes, you might have the moral responsibility, but in this situation no, we see that the right to live of the other person is higher than the 5 people.

Those 5 were going to die anyways no matter what you did. If you weren't there, they were going to die either way, so technically, their fate is sealed. For the other man, that's not true, he wasn't supposed to die, yet he was placed in a position where he was going to die. If you weren't there, he wouldn't have died. Therefore, the morally just answer is to let those 5 die.
I would pull the switch.

There are many variations of this exercise, which can be used to explore our innate sense of right and wrong. Marc Hauser's book 'Moral Minds: How Nature Designed our Universal Sense of Right and Wrong' covers many of them.

Richard Dawkins also referenced these studies in 'The God Delusion', as they show that there is no statistically significant difference between atheists and religious believers when making moral judgements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending