The Student Room Group

Do unis give carts when moving in?

Okay, this might sound a bit stupid, but I've been watching moving in videos on YouTube recently and I noticed that a lot of the times Americans are given carts when they're moving into their halls. However I never see them in British videos, does that mean usually UK unis don't give these carts to move stuff from the car to the halls?
Reply 1
Original post by candyondeck
Okay, this might sound a bit stupid, but I've been watching moving in videos on YouTube recently and I noticed that a lot of the times Americans are given carts when they're moving into their halls. However I never see them in British videos, does that mean usually UK unis don't give these carts to move stuff from the car to the halls?

Probably depends on the uni and the halls, but at my D’s uni they had the large laundry cages on wheels to help transport stuff from the car to the rooms.
(edited 8 months ago)
Most don’t have any kind of carts of trolleys, you have to take stuff yourself.

Hi @candyondeck,

When I moved into my accommodation at Lancaster University, we had to carry all our own stuff. This doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any available though. I'd suggest contacting the accommodation team at your university to find out if they're available.

-Beth
(Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 4

There might be stdents to help but generally nothing else. It's good if family can take you and help with the carrying :smile:
Reply 5
Look at it logically.
The average university will have 5k freshers, all arriving on two days, mostly the one day.
The Halls are normally spread out.
What exactly are the university going to do with possibly 500 carts, used for one day a year?

Some Halls do have DIY style carts/luggage trolleys that they acquire often for domestic use and you might be lucky. You can get folding carts (2 wheels) on eBay /Amazon that you could keep in your room all year, or those 4 wheel camping ones that collapse and could go back home in the family car.

Don’t take too much stuff. Concentrate on heavy/breakables. You will be going home within 6 weeks (possibly) bring stuff that you need.
Reply 6

Lancaster does not, we had to help with our own stuff. Reading does have trolleys so you can load a few boxes on. Mainly theres usually someone that comes with you to help, but if you are an international student or you are travelling by train on your own, then you will have to be minimalistic and then get your things whilst in the uni city.

Hi there,
It will depend on the accommodation! For example, in my first year they did not provide carts but the university did have volunteer students on hand to help me carry my belongings into my accommodation. Whereas in my third year in private student accommodation, they provided trolleys to help me move in. If you're concerned about moving your belongings in, I'd recommend contacting your student accommodation team and they'll be able to answer any questions that you have.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
So dependant on university and even the halls you pick. Some allow you to pull up to the front/rear and unload but otherwise there may be students on hand to help you as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending