The Student Room Group

Online picker at shops

I have an interview as an online picker but I'm not sure if to go because i don't know if I'm strong enough to push the big trolleys around. Also heard that it gets painful and that its not a good job. Is this true?
Reply 1
hi, I worked as an online picker at Tesco for about a year but I quit because of a levels.
basically, the trolleys shouldn’t be a problem to push around. there’s a proper “technique” they’ll show you during training to make it easier for you to push! the heaviest thing you’ll have to pick are 24 packs of cans/6 pack of 2 litre water bottles so if you can’t pick those up, you probably shouldn’t apply

I feel like your satisfaction being an online picker heavily relies on the people you work with. in my experience, it was quite a dull job because everyone working at my local Tesco was old, but they were still friendly.

the cons about being an online picker are: early hours (it really drags), being shoved on random departments when you finish picks early, having an relatively unachievable target EVERYDAY that you have to meet by a certain time, the system constantly breaking (probably a Tesco problem)
the only pros I can think of are: the 10% discount and getting to know your way around the shop very very well

if you can, I think you should change departments and go for the tills instead because I liked it more when they shoved me on the tills, but honestly it’s up to personal preference. lmk if you have any questions, I’m pretty sure online picker is similar across all supermarkets
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending