The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Crime in brum

I was a bit concerned about a reply to one of my threads saying that chavs and chavs who target people pick out the ones that have been to private/public schools and who are country people... unlucky for me.... is this a big problem?? how do they differentiate between city people and country people?? cos i'm worried that they might rake me out cos i don't have a chav accent or dress like them...hmmm... do any of you find you have/had this problem??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i didn't say anything about dress or accent.........
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
rich_
I was a bit concerned about a reply to one of my threads saying that chavs and chavs who target people pick out the ones that have been to private/public schools and who are country people... unlucky for me.... is this a big problem?? how do they differentiate between city people and country people?? cos i'm worried that they might rake me out cos i don't have a chav accent or dress like them...hmmm... do any of you find you have/had this problem??

Oh yes, those chavs and their annoying discriminatory tactics. Well, as you yourself say, your accent and your dress are indicative of your geographical and class background. So, good luck. :p:
Reply 3
lol don't worry about such a thing. chavs really are unproblematic beings, especially around here.
Reply 4
silence
lol don't worry about such a thing. chavs really are unproblematic beings, especially around here.

oh right, lol. so you aint had a problem with them?? what kind of school did you go to??
Reply 5
i went to a bog standard comprehensive, have had a few taunts when walking back from work before mainly due to the uniform but that's about it. the advantage was, i was wearing steel-lined boots so could have defended myself.

there really is no problem, the main problem is student-on-student violence as it happens...
Reply 6
rich_
oh right, lol. so you aint had a problem with them?? what kind of school did you go to??

i went to a private school, but it's really not a big deal. it's not about where you went once you're at uni, it's about where you are. i'm sure if you're very unlucky and happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (like every city), you could possibly be in a mildly difficult situation, but it's not the norm.
rich_

I'm sure they won't 'rake you out' as you already seem to speak/type like they do. :rolleyes:

B'ham is a horrible place, I was there yesterday - lots of crime, lots of minorities, lots of mess...nasty.
Reply 8
Aristogeiton
I'm sure they won't 'rake you out' as you already seem to speak/type like they do. :rolleyes:

B'ham is a horrible place, I was there yesterday - lots of crime, lots of minorities, lots of mess...nasty.

Birmingham is actually one of the cleanest cities in the UK. They made a big push to be neat and tidy after the new Bullring opened...

Also, lots of minorities... and? Are you trying to link peoples' ethnicity to violence/crime? If you stay away from the areas of Birmingham where gang and turf wars happen, there won't be a problem. There aren't gang and turf wars in Edgbaston and Selly Oak by the way, which is where the uni and 90% of the student population are... The most we have here is petty car crime and theft.
Reply 9
Aristogeiton

haha, a nice bit of racism there!! *joke*. i think personally exeter would be better for me, but i'd miss the bullring, lol. plus i like the architecture of the uni at bham more than that of exeter, but i guess overall, exeter's a nicer place.
rich_
haha, a nice bit of racism there!! *joke*. i think personally exeter would be better for me, but i'd miss the bullring, lol. plus i like the architecture of the uni at bham more than that of exeter, but i guess overall, exeter's a nicer place.

the bullring is overrated... :wink:
Reply 11
perhaps, but if you want absolutely anything, you're almost guaranteed to find it there.
Aristogeiton

ironically, your sentiments would make you a minority too.
Reply 12
silence
perhaps, but if you want absolutely anything, you're almost guaranteed to find it there.

ironically, your sentiments would make you a minority too.

yeah, you're right there.
rich_
haha, a nice bit of racism there!! *joke*. .

Hes not joking, hes a Nazi.
Reply 14
thebucketwoman
Hes not joking, hes a Nazi.

haha, i see. i meant i was joking by saying his racism was nice. it really wasn't. :eek: :wink:
Reply 15
stick to student areas and you'll be fine.
It's the same as any other city - there are some rough patches, but the majority is ok. Student accommodation does tend to get targeted, so security SHOULD be good (having a row with the university over my accomm and lack of security at the moment)

I've lived here in Brum all my life, and in one of the rougher areas too, and I've never had a problem. It's just a case of being vigilant and careful with yourself and your belongings

Come to Brum, it rocks!!!
Reply 17
just stay away from ladywood, handsworth, kings norton, kings heath, northfield, the pershore rd, the maypole, olton, balsall health, sparkbrook and you'll be fine.
Reply 18
joolux05
just stay away from ladywood, handsworth, kings norton, kings heath, northfield, the pershore rd, the maypole, olton, balsall health, sparkbrook and you'll be fine.

right. well, i have as yet to visit Brum, so i'll see when I go for open day or before :smile: .
if you are just coming to an open day, you will just be in and around edgbaston, the nice leafy suburb :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending