The Student Room Group

Recommended A-Levels for a Networking Course

I'd like to be a Network Administrator in the future and I've found a university course which I think would be great and help me get a job in networking. However, I'm unsure about what A-Levels would be good for this. Presumably maths because many people have developed the idea that 'if you're good at maths you'll be good at programming'... blah blah blah, I personally think it's non-sense. However, if it'll give me an advantage over other people who plan on taking the course... I will take it.

The course is below by the way:
http://www.beds.ac.uk/courses/bysubject/cominfsys/bsc-comnet

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply 1
Math helps in relation to CS in a number of ways. In regards to networking, routing and path finding algorithms (e.g. Dijkstra's algorithm) come up quite a bit which are all based around graph theory (and the mathematics surrounding thereof)
Reply 2
Maths definitely, a large number of courses have it as a requirement. Two other strong academic subjects and you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Thanks; looks like maths is a necessity.
Reply 4
Original post by TheMan100
Thanks; looks like maths is a necessity.

honestly you probable would be better doing BTEC in networking LOL

is maths need for networking? No ( Besides Binary of course)

Would A level maths be Helpful? No

The maths that you cover in the A level would in no way help you, its overkill!
GSCE maths would probable all that would be needed

- Cisco CCNA
- CompTIA Network+ and Security+

These units which are covered in the degree are covered already in the BTEC LOL

and i also presume that you are in year 11? choosing your A levels? I would advise you again against doing degree in networking!

You should look more at the Cisco & Comptia exam's having these under your belt and up to date would be a bigger advantage these are the standards you need to get networking Job.

Their is also academic that offers this to you, and provides you with working experiences, i will try find it out for you. This way you save money and gain invaluable work experiences

EDIT: http://www.zenos.com/ should have a look :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Im off to Stafford to do networking. It is supposedly one of the best unis in the country for networking. The maths is minimal and my teachers recommended it. Im doing a BTEC in networking at the moment
Reply 6
Original post by FinalMH
honestly you probable would be better doing BTEC in networking LOL

is maths need for networking? No ( Besides Binary of course)

Would A level maths be Helpful? No

The maths that you cover in the A level would in no way help you, its overkill!
GSCE maths would probable all that would be needed

- Cisco CCNA
- CompTIA Network+ and Security+

These units which are covered in the degree are covered already in the BTEC LOL

and i also presume that you are in year 11? choosing your A levels? I would advise you again against doing degree in networking!

You should look more at the Cisco & Comptia exam's having these under your belt and up to date would be a bigger advantage these are the standards you need to get networking Job.

Their is also academic that offers this to you, and provides you with working experiences, i will try find it out for you. This way you save money and gain invaluable work experiences

Excuse the technical terminology but Comptias a pile of ****e.
Reply 7
Original post by Delaney
Excuse the technical terminology but Comptias a pile of ****e.

based on what? in your opinion? or with other reasons?
:tongue: cause OP degree includes comptia LOL

Do you actually know anything about networking? or are you just against Comptia? because have you actually seen Cisco's CCNP content?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by FinalMH
based on what? in your opinion? or with other reasons?
:tongue: cause OP degree includes comptia LOL

Do you actually know anything about networking? or are you just against Comptia? because have you actually seen Cisco's CCNP content?

Based on my own opinion and a discussion I had with a network admin and recruiter who has 10 years of experience. Sure it may be educational but these days it isn't really relevant to the jobs market - it's like having an ECDL.

His opinion as far as I remember was that it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Sure if you can get it for free, go for it but it isn't useful on the employment front.

Yes the OP's degree includes comptia but I wouldn't completely rule out buying a house because I don't like ensuite bathrooms... I'm not against comptia, I'm training to become A+, N+ and S+ certified (I get it for free, before you ask). CCNP isn't that bad really after all it is aimed at entry level positions.
I don't see why you should tell them not to do a degree i networking, if done at a respected university for the Cisco stuff ie: Sheffield Hallam Stafford or BCU. These universities are pretty much academies, with major links with Cisco. It means that it's easier(hopefully) to get a job from Cisco by going to these institutions, considering they get sooo much free stuff!
Reply 10
Original post by de_monies
I don't see why you should tell them not to do a degree i networking, if done at a respected university for the Cisco stuff ie: Sheffield Hallam Stafford or BCU. These universities are pretty much academies, with major links with Cisco. It means that it's easier(hopefully) to get a job from Cisco by going to these institutions, considering they get sooo much free stuff!

is that justified for 15,000 debt?
:eek: i was just saying its option.

Yes their is more to degree but their is other options that are cheaper. I was just saying their is another way, would you disagree with that?
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes thats true but I certainly wouldn't pay for the comptia stuff really. Universities are good as it means that they have links with big industry, so its hopefully easier to get a job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending