The Student Room Group

Is national apprenticeship week worth it?

I heard it’s national apprenticeship week on the 5th of February. I just would like to know if anyone has any information in regards to what’s it about and is it worth it, I have a degree in computer networks and technology am I even eligible to do a apprenticeship in the same field of study as my degree I wanted to do a Level 3/Level 4 in IT Support or Digital Technician or even a Cybersecurity Technician. For practical work purposes, not because of anything financially the apprenticeship may have to offer.

Thank You

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Mohammed_80
I heard it’s national apprenticeship week on the 5th of February. I just would like to know if anyone has any information in regards to what’s it about and is it worth it, I have a degree in computer networks and technology am I even eligible to do a apprenticeship in the same field of study as my degree I wanted to do a Level 3/Level 4 in IT Support or Digital Technician or even a Cybersecurity Technician. For practical work purposes, not because of anything financially the apprenticeship may have to offer.

Thank You

:smile:

In short, National Apprentice Week is a week of exploring Apprenticeship Options, and providing information about apprenticeships (e.g. what kind, different types, etcetera). From my experience, they often have a lot of general info (e.g. posters and such that you can get sent), along with live webinars which you can ask questions in, which might be of interest to you?

Personally, I'd definitely recommend it if you're exploring apprenticeships, even if you think you've done a lot of research. They often provide a lot of valuable insights, especially from current apprentices in their webinars - but you're under no obligation to actually participate once you've registered I believe, if you did dislike it 🙂

Hope this helps! Best of luck :biggrin:
Original post by {Moss}
In short, National Apprentice Week is a week of exploring Apprenticeship Options, and providing information about apprenticeships (e.g. what kind, different types, etcetera). From my experience, they often have a lot of general info (e.g. posters and such that you can get sent), along with live webinars which you can ask questions in, which might be of interest to you?

Personally, I'd definitely recommend it if you're exploring apprenticeships, even if you think you've done a lot of research. They often provide a lot of valuable insights, especially from current apprentices in their webinars - but you're under no obligation to actually participate once you've registered I believe, if you did dislike it 🙂

Hope this helps! Best of luck :biggrin:

Thanks Moss but just wondering if I’ve done a degree within computing can I still do an apprenticeship within computing 🙂 ?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Thanks Moss but just wondering if I’ve done a degree within computing can I still do an apprenticeship within computing 🙂 ?

I believe so, though it's generally up to the discretion of the company.
For example, BT (e.g. this Lvl 3 Network Technician Apprenticeship) is fine with you having a related degree. Any companies that won't allow that will say explicitly in their job posting, something along the lines of 'you shouldn't have a degree in [computing] or a related subject'. If they don't, it's completely fine to apply: there's nothing in the regulations around apprenticeships that says you can't do an apprenticeship with a similar degree, but as mentioned some companies prefer to exclude those with a degree for their own reasons.

From my experience, it's most common to see Level 6 apprenticeships exclude people with a similar degree, because obviously you'd just be doing the same things you did before. Lower level apprenticeships seem to be more flexible.

Hope that makes sense? Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Original post by {Moss}
For example, BT (e.g. this Lvl 3 Network Technician Apprenticeship) is fine with you having a related degree. Any companies that won't allow that will say explicitly in their job posting, something along the lines of 'you shouldn't have a degree in [computing] or a related subject'. If they don't, it's completely fine to apply: there's nothing in the regulations around apprenticeships that says you can't do an apprenticeship with a similar degree, but as mentioned some companies prefer to exclude those with a degree for their own reasons.

From my experience, it's most common to see Level 6 apprenticeships exclude people with a similar degree, because obviously you'd just be doing the same things you did before. Lower level apprenticeships seem to be more flexible.

Your a legend
Original post by {Moss}

I was wondering if you could help me find some IT Support related apprenticeships that I maybe eligible in doing please
Reply 6
I was wondering if you could help me find some IT Support related apprenticeships that I maybe eligible in doing please

No problem :smile:. So from a quick browse, it looks like you need to steer clear of QA Apprenticeships as they won't allow you to have a similar qualification. Baltic Apprenticeships however have a lot of IT apprenticeships (I've linked a support one) that don't have any explicit denial of similar qualifications, so I'd definitely recommend these. Some you might be interested in:
Note, these are just support apprenticeships, and they have a lot so I've just linked 3. If you want to find some more similar, or find others like Software Developing, feel free to take a look at their website.
As a side-note, most of these won't pay exceedingly well, but certainly help to get your foot in the door. Some seem to be designed for school-leavers, being under minimum wage (~18K). They might still be worth applying to though, because they could up the salary for any older applicants.

I'd definitely recommend checking out the govt website with which you can search for apprenticeships nearby, and browse by digital ones (obviously I can't do this myself haha, as you need a post code).

Another one I know is fully fine for you (or at least don't say):
I'll try and have another look if I get the time, but hopefully this is a good place to start for you? Baltic especially seem to offer a variety of apprenticeships in many places (as a training provider of course). Hope this helps slightly!
Original post by {Moss}
No problem :smile:. So from a quick browse, it looks like you need to steer clear of QA Apprenticeships as they won't allow you to have a similar qualification. Baltic Apprenticeships however have a lot of IT apprenticeships (I've linked a support one) that don't have any explicit denial of similar qualifications, so I'd definitely recommend these. Some you might be interested in:
Note, these are just support apprenticeships, and they have a lot so I've just linked 3. If you want to find some more similar, or find others like Software Developing, feel free to take a look at their website.
As a side-note, most of these won't pay exceedingly well, but certainly help to get your foot in the door. Some seem to be designed for school-leavers, being under minimum wage (~18K). They might still be worth applying to though, because they could up the salary for any older applicants.

I'd definitely recommend checking out the govt website with which you can search for apprenticeships nearby, and browse by digital ones (obviously I can't do this myself haha, as you need a post code).

I'll try and have another look if I get the time, but hopefully this is a good place to start for you? Baltic especially seem to offer a variety of apprenticeships in many places (as a training provider of course). Hope this helps slightly!

Awesome thank you so much yeah I’m definitely going to take onboard what I can takeaway practically more than the salary that the apprenticeship has to offer so to be honest I’m not really fussed as much :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 8
Awesome thank you so much yeah I’m definitely going to take onboard what I can takeaway practically more than the salary that the apprenticeship has to offer so to be honest I’m not really fussed as much :smile:

Glad to be of assistance! Best of luck once more :biggrin:
Original post by {Moss}

I work in the Early Careers Field, regardless of training provider everyone follows the same set of DFE rules, If your existing qualifications closely relate to the apprenticeship you want to do, you won't get funding to do it. Their are consequences for breaking the rules both for employers and training providers.

DFE Funding Rules
Reply 10
Original post by compressed-infid
I work in the Early Careers Field, regardless of training provider everyone follows the same set of DFE rules, If your existing qualifications closely relate to the apprenticeship you want to do, you won't get funding to do it. Their are consequences for breaking the rules both for employers and training providers.

DFE Funding Rules

O that's very odd, thank you for the input. Any idea what's actually defined as 'closely related'? For example, I can understand preventing anyone with a degree in software engineering getting a Software Development apprenticeship, but how about with a Network engineering degree? Notably the IT field is a varied one like any other, and I struggle to find the section in the funding rules, sorry! And apologies to OP if the rules were more stringent than what I had found. Appreciate that input and that's very odd, it would be nice to see where the lines are drawn, too, to see if at least parts of the above advice can stand up to it. Thanks again :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by {Moss}
O that's very odd, thank you for the input. Any idea what's actually defined as 'closely related'? For example, I can understand preventing anyone with a degree in software engineering getting a Software Development apprenticeship, but how about with a Network engineering degree? Notably the IT field is a varied one like any other, and I struggle to find the section in the funding rules, sorry! And apologies to OP if the rules were more stringent than what I had found. Appreciate that input and that's very odd, it would be nice to see where the lines are drawn, too, to see if at least parts of the above advice can stand up to it. Thanks again :smile:

So it can get quite complicated as is everything the government touch, the issue with degrees is they cover a wider spectrum of topics, OP has said he got a degree in Computer Networks and Technology every university structure their degree programs in different ways and have different modules covered within them, but will commonly use the same degree titles. What i mean by this is University of Birmingham might have a course called Computer Networks and Technology and University of Bradford might have a course called Computer Networks and Technology. But the content involved within the course will be vastly different, this is were the biggest issue is.

OP has said he wants to look at doing a lower level apprenticeship to his degree, In a field such as IT Support, Digital Technician or Cyber Security. The potential issue here is that the degree that was done will to some extent most likely cover elements in some of these apprenticeship standards, especially with IT Support and Cyber Security This would trigger red flags during the recruitment process.

But when looking at closely related it really is down to the recruiter, and making a best judgment with the facts available, typically its down to the Training Providers to say yes or no. But the probability of getting past the employer would be the issue.

And from what OP is saying anything they are doing it for work experience as opposed to the qualification, i would recommend applying for Graduate Schemes/Graduate Level Jobs, you will have far more luck here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending