The Student Room Group

Studying artificial intelligence in uni

So I've recently been interested in studying AI in university but I dont take computer science as one of my A levels. It's not required as an a level for the course as I already do maths however I was wondering how much computer science should I know before going into this field. Will they expect me to know some sort of programming and coding? And if I dont will that effect my chances of being accepted? How much of AI is computer science anyways? Anyone who's talent ai in uni can you tell me what the course is like or ur experience? I'm just worried that because I dont know much computer science and people who apply to this course probably will have computer science as well and my be a disadvantage for me.
Thank you
Reply 1
I’m also interested in studying computer science. It may differ between universities but from what I’ve seen, no programming knowledge is required. However, if you have no or little programming experience, you must take an extra programming module. So basically, you’ll just be a bit more busy than the students who have programmed before. If you’re interested in that field though, why not try dip your toe into it? Programming can be a really fun hobby as you have complete freedom over your projects, and it will also be educational as it will prepare you for your uni course.
Original post by abubakar06
So I've recently been interested in studying AI in university but I dont take computer science as one of my A levels. It's not required as an a level for the course as I already do maths however I was wondering how much computer science should I know before going into this field. Will they expect me to know some sort of programming and coding? And if I dont will that effect my chances of being accepted? How much of AI is computer science anyways? Anyone who's talent ai in uni can you tell me what the course is like or ur experience? I'm just worried that because I dont know much computer science and people who apply to this course probably will have computer science as well and my be a disadvantage for me.
Thank you

Hello,

If it is not an entry requirement, then you won't need any prior programming knowledge to be accepted onto the course, as long as you meet the grade requirements. I would say that you won't be at a disadvantage for not having prior experience, and will find that you will quickly pick up pace with the subject in your first year. There will also be lots of support available at the university to both help you pick up speed, as well as take your learning a level up. So, don't worry at all!

I would advise if you have time over the summer, try doing maybe a short online programming course over the summer to help build the foundation and give you the confidence heading into first year.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
I did a module relating to artificial intelligence in my computer science course, so I might be able to help.
I haven't done a course fully devoted to artificial intelligence, but from what I have experienced, it's largely highly abstract concepts and a heavy dose of maths. I don't think you'll be heavily disadvantaged if you don't know what computer science is beyond the basics, but I do recommend learning (at least) about the fundamentals of programming and computer systems. It also depends on whether you'll be doing any practical work as well. eg. implementing neural networks. If you are, then learning how to program is a definite requirement. For your first programming language in the context of AI, I highly recommend Python. Learn as much as you can about it along with all its quirks, because it's one of the more popular languages when it comes to deep learning and neural networks - a topic I'm sure will come up in your course. Luckily, we live in an age where there are tonnes of free online resources out there that can teach you pretty much anything you want about CS. If you want to do it the old fashioned way, then just buy an A level book about computer science and read through it over the summer. Hope I helped. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending