The Student Room Group

Are UK Student loans given while going to Uni abroad, e.g. HongKong University?

Hello Everyone,

I have always wanted to study in Hong Kong and would love to go to the university of Hong Kong. So my question hereby is whether or not UK student loans are given to those who want to study there? Or do I have to have the cash myself?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Samatar26
Hello Everyone,

I have always wanted to study in Hong Kong and would love to go to the university of Hong Kong. So my question hereby is whether or not UK student loans are given to those who want to study there? Or do I have to have the cash myself?

Thanks.

No they are not! If you went to university and did an exchange for a year there, you wouldn't have to pay your fees but you would have to pay living costs but you could get a UK loan for that, if you went somewhere in Europe on an ERASMUS year you'd get funding. But if you're going to do an entire course in another country, you're completely on your own. There may be SOME support available from HK, but that most often happens in American universities, and not so much elsewhere.
Reply 2
Ok thanks a lot; I guess I wont be doing a complete course in Hong Kong then.
Reply 3
Surely individual countries have their own equivalent to the UK student loan company that one can apply to? Or would they only be for their national citizens?

If not then, do banks give out favourable loans to students wishing to study overseas? And does anyone know how the Swiss university system works;are there companies that offer help for foreign students wanting to study there?

Thank you for any help.
Reply 4
No. You get funding if you go as part of your UK uni course. Otherwise you can go to EU countries it's free in most EU countries or really cheap. You can also take out their loans for living expenses etc, since the UK is part of the EU.

No bank in the UK will give you any money to study overseas, In fact there are no commercial student loans in the UK (except for a professional studies loan - HSBC/Natwest - for specific professions, law, accounting, medicine, etc - but even then a lot of these have been cancelled due to the recession + you need to be a graduate to get one).

http://www.swissuniversity.ch/index.htm
crus.ch

Check out these websites - good luck (Switzerland is not part of the EU though so things may not be straight fwd)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending