The Student Room Group

British passport holder, British citizen, Live in EU. Need student loan for home fees

Hi please help! My daughter has never lived in the UK, was born and lives in EU but has British passport and is British citizen as we were abroad because of my job and I was paying into the UK system most of her life. Obviously, she went home a lot to the UK over the years. We have a UK address and she has a UK bank account, she is not an EU citizen or doesn't have dual nationality. Is it true that as a part of the withdrawal agreement for Brexit, she can still have home fee status AND student finance for the loan if she applies or goes to uni in the UK before 2028? I keep coming across so many conflicted reports, nobody can seem to give me a definite answer and I am worried sick as she can't go without a home fee loan. Many thanks
Hi there,

When does your daughter plan to come back to the UK and study? Will she move before she starts the course or will she move for the purpose of study? Was your daughter living in the EU before the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020?

Thanks, Drew
Hi, many thanks for your reply. She is due to come back to start Uni in September 2024 but can come to the UK earlier if this helps the situation as we have a UK address but how much earlier is acceptable to count? Yes, my daughter was living in the EU before the end of 31st December 2020. Will she be ok for the home fees AND the loan or just home fees? Going out of my mind with worry! Many thanks
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Amandamofrom!
. Will she be ok for the home fees AND the loan or just home fees?

Please note that universities determine fee status not SFE.
Original post by normaw
Please note that universities determine fee status not SFE.
Thank you for your reply but I am trying to determine if she will be able to get a student finance loan for tuition based on her personal status and it is proving very difficult to find out.
Hi, many thanks for your reply. She is due to come back to start Uni in September 2024 but can come to the UK earlier if this helps the situation as we have a UK address but how much earlier is acceptable to count? Yes, my daughter was living in the EU before the end of 31st December 2020. Will she be ok for the home fees AND the loan or just home fees? Going out of my mind with worry! Many thanks
Hi there,

Thanks, just to confirm, has your daughter lived in the UK at any point in her life, even if only for a short while?

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Thanks, just to confirm, has your daughter lived in the UK at any point in her life, even if only for a short while?

Thanks, Graeme
Many thanks for your reply. Yes, after she was first born I returned her to the UK for a couple of years as she stayed with my Mother whilst I worked in the EU seasonally and my mother would bring her over to me for short holiday during the early years (although I was still paying into the UK system at this stage) but have no way of proving she was in the UK mostly for just over the first 3yrs of her life as I didn't get her vaccinated at the doctors in UK or anything like that (although she was registered at the doctors in UK, we had no reason to use them! my mom took care of her mostly during that time whilst I worked so not sure if it counts as living in the UK? (Hence the reason I initially asked by stating she didn't live in the UK as you can see it is complicated otherwise) I remember we made one visit to the hospital to the emergency room at 1.5 yrs when I came home (to the UK) for the winter period but not sure if there would be a record of that. Since then she has come and gone over the years a lot to the UK, UK is what we call "home" and once she starts Uni I will be coming "home" to stay too!. If that is seen as not living in the UK at any point will that cause me a problem with getting a student loan? I know we are a complex case! Thank you again for your time
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there. UK nationals who have never lived in the UK or have not lived there for some time will be able to apply for SFE Home Student Funding if they meet the eligibility criteria below:

Resident in the EEA or Switzerland at the end of the transition period (on the 31st December 2020) and

Resident in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of the course.

She will be required to provide a breakdown of her residency details since birth.

Please note that this is general advice only and the final outcome can only be decided once the student makes and application and provides the evidence. The applications for 24/25 come out around mid March normally, but we don't have a specific date yet. Applications for SFE can be made before the student has been accepted into university and if any changes need to be made to the application regarding the course etc. then this can be done at a later date. Thanks, Leah.
(edited 1 month ago)
Thanks alot Leah but this conflicts with what one of your earlier Official Rep Drew has asked "When does your daughter plan to come back to the UK and study? Will she move before she starts the course or will she move for the purpose of study?" I thought this doesn't matter if -

Resident in the EEA or Switzerland at the end of the transition period (on the 31st December 2020) and

Resident in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of the course.
So does the above mean she doesn't need to be in the UK before she starts Uni?? and this won't go against her application?

Finally, if I cannot prove that she spent the first couple of years in the UK due to our unusual circumstances as described above is it unlikely she will get a student loan in your experience? I appreciate you cannot give a definite answer but are you aware of others in the same situation that did receive home fee student loan? Thank you so much for your time, all of you guys!
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there. The requirement for residency is that the student is resident in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of the course, so not only the UK. In terms of evidence that the student was in the UK the student can only provide what they can. The best option at the moment is for the student to apply, the assessors can then outline exactly what evidence would be required as we are limited with information we can provide here. Thanks - David
Thank you David, final question if I may. Are you aware of others getting the home fee AND student loan under the circumstances laid out in my first post? Promise to leave you guys alone now! Many thanks for your time
Hi Amandamofrom!,

Yes, students can be eligible for home student funding as a UK national if they have been residing in the UK, Gibraltar, the EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of the course and resident in the EEA or Switzerland at the end of the transition period (on the 31st December 2020) under right to reside rules

Thanks,
Calum
Calum, thank you
Calum, thank you
If you have any further queries please let us know. Thanks, Ross
Original post by Ross SLC
If you have any further queries please let us know. Thanks, Ross
Hi Ross, thank you. What I need to know is whether you are aware of any students getting the home fees AND loan fees when/if they have not lived in the UK but have a British Passport and lived in the EU all their lives (as it is unlikely I can prove the first couple of years she was in the UK). As much as everyone here has tried to help, which is very much appreciated, I still don't have an answer. Being eligible and being successful with the application is another :frown: I was hoping another person may have been in the same boat and be able to let me know their experience of this since Brexit. Thanks again
Hi Ross, thank you. What I need to know is whether you are aware of any students getting the home fees AND loan fees when/if they have not lived in the UK but have a British Passport and lived in the EU all their lives (as it is unlikely I can prove the first couple of years she was in the UK). As much as everyone here has tried to help, which is very much appreciated, I still don't have an answer. Being eligible and being successful with the application is another :frown: I was hoping another person may have been in the same boat and be able to let me know their experience of this since Brexit. Thanks again

SFE / SLC won't know what fee status someone was ultimately assessed as, as it's determined by the uni. They can only advise regarding elibiligy for maintenance/tuition fee funding.
Hi,

Students can get both Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fees yes. As David advised previously, the best option is for the student to apply and we can assess the application, we would require evidence which would be requested. The student would need to satisfy the eligibility to be eligible for our support. Thanks, Ross
Thanks again Ross, much appreciated.
Thanks again Ross, much appreciated.
You're welcome. Have a good day. Thanks, Jason
Thank you David, final question if I may. Are you aware of others getting the home fee AND student loan under the circumstances laid out in my first post? Promise to leave you guys alone now! Many thanks for your time

My son started uni in September 22 and we live in Italy. He has dual nationality and has lived here all his life. He was given home status and a student loan maintenance and tuition

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending