The Student Room Group

Which university?

Hello everyone,
I was curious about your opinion on which university to pick to further pursue physics. UK or America? I was initially thinking M.I.T.
but it is very far. What do you think?
Reply 1
Do you have an offer from MIT? Can you afford the fees?
Original post by Ema_Levicar
Hello everyone,
I was curious about your opinion on which university to pick to further pursue physics. UK or America? I was initially thinking M.I.T.
What year are you in?

You know how hard it is to get into MIT, right?
Original post by Ema_Levicar
Hello everyone,
Hi there,

It's great to see you are considering some options abroad for university! There is definitely a lot you need to research and consider before choosing, as moving to study in another country is a big step and commitment.

I'd recommend looking at these websites to understand the steps you'd need to take if you were to apply to a US university - https://www.studyusa.com/en/a/182/how-do-i-begin-if-i-want-to-study-in-america & https://educationusa.state.gov/your-5-steps-us-study/research-your-options/undergraduate.

A major thing to consider is the fees associated with studying, particularly in the US. Can you afford the tuition, accommodation, and food? Will you need a car to get around, as public transport can be sparse in many places? Will you be moving alone, or do you have family/connections nearby? What about healthcare and insurance? These are some things that would be worth researching and talking about with your school/family.

I'd also recommend keeping your options open while you search. MIT is a very hard school to get into - do you think you have the grades, experience, and extracurriculars to be considered for a place? I'd also look some other schools that have great physics courses too.

I hope this helps and best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
MIT is a great school but i would apply to other schools as well, it is extremely difficult to get in
MIT and Harvard are both in Boston - a lovely city. You will not go wrong with MIT
Reply 6
Apply to unis in the UK and the US but bear in mind the work involved and financial aspects. Simply applying to a university in the US takes a lot more work than in the UK, you have to write individual essays for each one and for some you have to take the SAT. Also as people have said above university fees in the US are significantly higher and their undergrad degrees are 4 years not 3, e.g. MIT's full tuition fees are about $82000 and you won't get loans from the UK government, but you can apply for scholarships. As far as I can tell from your previous posts you're still fairly young, so don't worry about it too much yet and take this time to do some research and talk to your family and school about what uni in the US would mean and if it is feasible.
At the end of the day there are very good universities in both the UK and the US so don't worry too much about which country you end up in. Apply for unis in both to keep your options open then you can think about where you actually want to go when you have offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending