The Student Room Group

Mature Student thinking of going back to uni

As the title says, i am thinking of going back to uni.

A brief background on me.
34, own a shared ownership property on my own. So i pay rent and a mortgage. Together this is £467, aside from the rest of the bills. Altogether my cost to live is roughly £1294.72 a month.
I don't splurge on anything, and no i don't buy costa or avocado on toast. I don't have any credits cards, loans etc. I have a car on finance which isn't a huge amount. The rest is either insurance or things needed to live by, (fuel, food, gas, elec, water, money into savings)
I am looking for a complete career change and study Korean linguistics. This is a 4 year full time course with 1 year spent in Korea.

I have looked at the cost of the student accommodation and this is £160 a week. This accommodation is only for the first year, second year students and onwards have to find their own place.

I have been trying to find out in terms of student finance as to if i would get any finance towards living costs. If anyone has any experience of this or any better knowledge than i do?

I am essentially trying to figure out, do i sell my house to go back to uni or can i keep the house and live in it while i study, potentially until the third year when you go to Korea.
I will be honest, i don't have much in savings but by the time i look at actually going, 1-2 years time or so. I will have much more in savings and be financially better than i am now. Right now i am just hunting for advice and answers.
The one year in Korea has to mainly be funded by myself which is fine. (flights, visa etc)
Original post by SK2027
As the title says, i am thinking of going back to uni.

A brief background on me.
34, own a shared ownership property on my own. So i pay rent and a mortgage. Together this is £467, aside from the rest of the bills. Altogether my cost to live is roughly £1294.72 a month.
I don't splurge on anything, and no i don't buy costa or avocado on toast. I don't have any credits cards, loans etc. I have a car on finance which isn't a huge amount. The rest is either insurance or things needed to live by, (fuel, food, gas, elec, water, money into savings)
I am looking for a complete career change and study Korean linguistics. This is a 4 year full time course with 1 year spent in Korea.

I have looked at the cost of the student accommodation and this is £160 a week. This accommodation is only for the first year, second year students and onwards have to find their own place.

I have been trying to find out in terms of student finance as to if i would get any finance towards living costs. If anyone has any experience of this or any better knowledge than i do?

I am essentially trying to figure out, do i sell my house to go back to uni or can i keep the house and live in it while i study, potentially until the third year when you go to Korea.
I will be honest, i don't have much in savings but by the time i look at actually going, 1-2 years time or so. I will have much more in savings and be financially better than i am now. Right now i am just hunting for advice and answers.
The one year in Korea has to mainly be funded by myself which is fine. (flights, visa etc)

Hi there,

Can you confirm your nationality? Can you confirm your qualifications you currently hold and previous study you have done? When is your course starting? Is it full time or part time?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Hiya,

I am a British Citizen, Lived in the UK all my life. Hold a UK passport.

Qualifications, not many in terms of degrees. Art, Media. Nothing worthy of talking about. But i have good GCSE's. English, Maths.
I have diplomas in my work place, Team Leadership, Production management. Nutrition.

Course is every year, but i would look at potentially starting sept 25 or sept 26. Full time course.
Hi SK2027,

If you are a UK national who will have been resident in the UK for the 3 years before the start of your course, don't have any previous study at a degree level, and don't already hold a degree you should certainly be eligible for funding to study a degree - this would include a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan.

Do you need any further clarification around what kind of maintenance funding you may be eligible for?

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by SK2027
Hiya,

I am a British Citizen, Lived in the UK all my life. Hold a UK passport.

Qualifications, not many in terms of degrees. Art, Media. Nothing worthy of talking about. But i have good GCSE's. English, Maths.
I have diplomas in my work place, Team Leadership, Production management. Nutrition.

Course is every year, but i would look at potentially starting sept 25 or sept 26. Full time course.

If you already hold a degree we wouldn't fund you for another unless it's one of our exception courses. The course you have mentioned isn't classed as an exception. I would suggest speaking to the university you wish to attend to see if they know of alternative funding options.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 5
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi SK2027,

If you are a UK national who will have been resident in the UK for the 3 years before the start of your course, don't have any previous study at a degree level, and don't already hold a degree you should certainly be eligible for funding to study a degree - this would include a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan.

Do you need any further clarification around what kind of maintenance funding you may be eligible for?

Thanks,
Calum

I never finished either of the courses i completed so i don't hold any degrees. These were back in 2008-2009.

So i would be eligible for funding from student finance. Would i also receive any funding towards maintenance costs towards my bills? I would potentially look at having a part time job around my studies.
Hi SK2027,

Yes, you would be eligible for maintenance support. This is based on your household income (if you are over 25 the income of your partner) so to give you an idea of what you may be eligible for can you confirm where your course starts and where you will be living during your course?

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 7
Hi SK2027,

Yes, you would be eligible for maintenance support. This is based on your household income (if you are over 25 the income of your partner) so to give you an idea of what you may be eligible for can you confirm where your course starts and where you will be living during your course?

Thanks,
Calum

Hi Calum,

The course is at York St John university either sept 2025 or sept 2026, and i would look to stay at home and drop to a part time job at around £7300 annually.
I have no partner so just myself on a single income

thanks

Steph
Hi Steph,

We wouldn't be able to give entitlement figures for future academic year but for 24/25 the maximum maintenance loan for the Elsewhere living location is £10227 which you should be eligible for based on your household income if you do not have a partner to give you an idea of the figures

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 9
Hi Steph,

We wouldn't be able to give entitlement figures for future academic year but for 24/25 the maximum maintenance loan for the Elsewhere living location is £10227 which you should be eligible for based on your household income if you do not have a partner to give you an idea of the figures

Thanks,
Calum

Thank you for that information.

In terms of studying abroad that is part of the course. Are the course fees covered? I presume there would not be any maintenance loans for this period?

Thanks

Steph
Hi Steph,

If you are studying abroad for a year the fees are also covered for this and you will be eligible for a maintenance loan with the higher Overseas rate

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 11
Hi Steph,

If you are studying abroad for a year the fees are also covered for this and you will be eligible for a maintenance loan with the higher Overseas rate

Thanks,
Calum

Thank you Calum

You have been helpful. I think this could be doable with a lot of saving and scrimping by. As long as the world doesn't come to an abrupt end.

Many thanks

Steph
Original post by SK2027
Thank you Calum

You have been helpful. I think this could be doable with a lot of saving and scrimping by. As long as the world doesn't come to an abrupt end.

Many thanks

Steph

You're welcome Steph. If you have any further queries, please let us know. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending