The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

sports initiation!

hi ive spoke with a mate recently at southampton uni and he was surprised to hear i havent heard about the initiation sports players have to go through before joining the sports team...

im looking to do football at ntu and i was just wondering if anyone knows the initiations people had to go through this year lol
Reply 1
Original post by hayzie
hi ive spoke with a mate recently at southampton uni and he was surprised to hear i havent heard about the initiation sports players have to go through before joining the sports team...

im looking to do football at ntu and i was just wondering if anyone knows the initiations people had to go through this year lol

Sports initiation or 'Welcome Socials' as the University likes them to be called- aren't bad to be honest. There hasn't been much hype about them this year- well except rugby League walking round with feathers stuck to their body. It only depends on the sport and the social secs for that year as to what you'll be required to do for your initiation.
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Scorpio2211
Sports initiation or 'Welcome Socials' as the University likes them to be called- aren't bad to be honest. There hasn't been much hype about them this year- well except rugby League walking round with feathers stuck to their body. It only depends on the sport and the social secs for that year as to what you'll be required to do for your initiation.

Ahaha, that sounds jokes. Hell, I'd do that without being initiated to anything.
Reply 3
Original post by Wasted Wrath
Ahaha, that sounds jokes. Hell, I'd do that without being initiated to anything.

To be honest... All year is kind of like an initiation at Trent. We have fancy dress every wednesday, do daft things, it's all part of being at University :smile:
Original post by Scorpio2211
To be honest... All year is kind of like an initiation at Trent. We have fancy dress every wednesday, do daft things, it's all part of being at University :smile:

Even more motivation!
im confused

whats an initiation? is it like tryouts?

excuse me for my dumbness
Original post by francistheswole
im confused
whats an initiation? is it like tryouts?
excuse me for my dumbness

it's a bit of fun to see what you're made of, most of the time it's something stupid or funny like running naked through the town. things like this:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/rookie-initiation-ideas-please/479939
Reply 7
Why do one have to do those silly things like the things in that link? :redface:
Confused
Reply 8
Basically, as welcome to your chosen sport you do an 'initiation' where those that have already been initiated get to give you orders/watch you do stupid things. It brings people together, and something in common- because you've all been through an initation before. It's all jokes, and you don't have to do everything asked of you as part of your initiation. You can even go 3 years without an initiation as some people have done.
Reply 9
So if I do not want to do one of the things asked I can still be a part of the team, right? :biggrin:
Original post by sanniehald
So if I do not want to do one of the things asked I can still be a part of the team, right? :biggrin:

Yea you can be part of the team even without doing initiation....ive been part of the 1st hockey team and we did out initiation at the end of the year so it doesnt matter if you do it or not. its just to show how game you are at doing stupid stuff, and dont mind making a prat of yourself :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by a.wadeson2905
Yea you can be part of the team even without doing initiation....ive been part of the 1st hockey team and we did out initiation at the end of the year so it doesnt matter if you do it or not. its just to show how game you are at doing stupid stuff, and dont mind making a prat of yourself :smile:

Okay :biggrin: good.
Reply 12
initiation sounds good.. what do the american football lads usually do?
Haven't a clue. It changes each year, because different people in the squad come up with ideas for 'welcome week'
I should have had two with hockey but I erm 'forgot to go and get the bus with the initial one' as I didn't know anyone, don't drink and hate to make a fool of myself.

I did do that tie initiation which was just lots and lots of exercise for me, plus the others all drinking. Aim was for people to be sick.

All in all, if your fine with embarassing yourself it can be a laugh.
my brother had to drink out of fish heads and stuff like that for the hockey team at oxford Brookes
can't wait to start playing hockey at NTU!!
eat a couple of raw onions then down a bottle of vodka or something equally stupid then end up in a&e. standard scummy trent weds society night

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending