The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy Vs sport and exercise science degree

I am a year 12 student who is stuck between the choice of either of the two and not sure which would benefit me more in the future.i know they sport and exercise science degree provides a vast range of options afterwards but physiotherapy provides higher salaries. Can anyone give me advice
Original post by Ace292
I am a year 12 student who is stuck between the choice of either of the two and not sure which would benefit me more in the future.i know they sport and exercise science degree provides a vast range of options afterwards but physiotherapy provides higher salaries. Can anyone give me advice

As physiotherapists are Allied Health Professionals, if you study physio at a uni in England and are eligible for student finance, then you would be able to apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund for an annual training grant of £5,000. You wouldn't be eligible for this if you studied sport and exercise science.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/
Reply 2
Thank you for the response and providing this information for me.
Reply 3
Original post by Ace292

With you considering sports and exercise science I assume you would prefer to go into the sports side of it. From my knowledge (and possible bias as a physio offer holder) you will be more desirable for jobs working in positions as a sports physio working with teams with a degree in physiotherapy. Physiotherapy interviews will require a knowledge in the nhs background.
I will always advocate for physiotherapy over sports and exercise science/sports therapy as I know people on physio msc and BSc courses that initially did sports and exercise science degrees but found it so difficult and competitive to obtain a job.
But ultimately it depends what you want to do with your degree down the line as to which would be more beneficial to you, both will require a lot of work and I recommend attending open days for both courses and doing research as to which will help you get where you want to be in the future if you haven’t already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending