The Student Room Group

Higher History!!!

Scroll to see replies

Couldn't of been better. I did reasons for appeasement and women. Which I wanted to do, so that was good. Paper 2 I did Migration and Empire it was good, Question 4 was a bit hard to get recall for but overall very good.
Original post by et_29
anyone know what the highest mark you can get for an essay is, if you don't get it finished in time, but put in a short conclusion and mention maybe 3 points/paragraphs out of 5...?

You I think would get around 11
Original post by GiantFrozenPenguin
I did Q10 on Democracy, not the one I would have preferred but i was still able to tackle it confidently. I also did the Nazis' rise to power. That question was an absolute gift.

Paper 2 was fairly easy, I did the effect of the Great War, I would have preferred if the experience on the Western Front was a 10 marker.

I did question 10 as well, what did you write about? I wrote about the suffragettes, Labour and the MPs and public forming a pressure group for the Parliamentary Reform Act of 1911 then talked about other factors contributing like the Effect of War, Reform for Political Advantage and Government Intervention.

I did question 36 as well, but that's America so different topics there :P
Reply 83
Original post by christopherp42

aww man ok thanks :smile: do you think examiners will be sympathetic about time conditions? anyone any idea what the pass mark will be for an A?
Original post by et_29
aww man ok thanks :smile: do you think examiners will be sympathetic about time conditions? anyone any idea what the pass mark will be for an A?

I think for an A it will be 72%
Went pretty well :smile:

I did Q11 (women) and Q37 (aggressive nature of fascist foreign policy). Those were the same two I did in the prelim, so I knew them pretty well, especially women which was my extended essay, although I went on a bit too long in women and my fascism conclusion was a bit rubbish. They were basically my ideal essays though.

Then paper 2 - I did Scottish Wars of Independence. Apart from Q4 - the how far on Bruce - it went pretty well I thought. I couldn't remember enough recall on Bruce but I should still get some marks for what I did - with source points and some recall I don't think I'll have lost too much :biggrin:

Just glad it's over now. :smile:
did any other school in the entire of Scotland do the Treaty of Union for paper 2?! it's the dullest, most uninteresting topic ever and I'm yet to find anyone else who did it, but for some reason my history teacher loved it and insisted on teaching us it rather than, say, anything vaguely exciting. eughhhhh.
Original post by _Stephieee
I thought the essays were great, I did 10 on democracy and 35 on the American Depression of the 1930s. 10 was my extended essay question right down to the named issue so I was thrilled, and I've written an essay very similar to 35 in the past, so I think that paper went okay, better than I was expecting in general :smile:

I did Impact of the Great War for the sources, I thought the first three questions were pretty fair, but I found the last one difficult purely because I didn't have enough recall, my own fault but hopefully I picked up a couple of marks :smile:

Overall, I think it was pretty fair, so I'm pretty content. I'm so glad History is done now, means I've done 4 of my 5 and I don't have anymore until June 1st :smile:

aw i did the democracy question as well, but there wasn't much content. i think i only mentioned suffragists/gettes/ reform league (even though it was out the time period) and other factors like war, and industrialisation D: what did you mention ?
Original post by peanutbutterlove
aw i did the democracy question as well, but there wasn't much content. i think i only mentioned suffragists/gettes/ reform league (even though it was out the time period) and other factors like war, and industrialisation D: what did you mention ?

I didn't do that question (I did women) but I had studied for it. I had 8 paragraphs for it:
-philosophical roots (stuff like Rousseau, American Declaration of Independence etc highlighting a change in ideas, shifting towards fairness and equality)
-moral right/electoral advantage (Gladstone - "every man is entitled to come within the pale of the constitution", and then electoral advantage - Disraeli passing the 1867 Act for electoral advantage)
-new liberalism - TH Green etc
-prosperity - industrial revolution made people wealthier and they wanted a vote. plus the growth of railways made people think of themselves as "men of the world" and they became less satisfied with the habits of deference to the local gentry
-suffrage movements - reform union, reform league, wspu, nuwss
-widening role of government - government became more involved in the business of the common man, so the common man should get the vote. examples such as Railway Act 1844
-education - Education Acts of 1870 and 1872 gave universal primary education, leading to a more literate and politically aware working class
-levelling effect of Great War - the war had a levelling effect on social classes and broke barriers between them.

This was my third choice, so I'm glad I didn't have to do it - the plan came from a retired teacher who taught me in S3 and I always felt it was a bit disordered and uncertain. You might feel the same :P. But that's what I would have done for that question.

EDIT: the factors suggested by the SQA are as follows:
The effects of industrialisation and urbanisation; popular attempts to gain the franchise; pressure groups; changing political attitudes; examples of developments abroad; party advantage; the effects of the First World War.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
blech

Germany essay was brilliant, cultural nationalism one, but my Britain essay was terrible, did Women and I knew nothing about Women, wrote half a paragraph on the Suffragists, half on the Suffragettes and a large-ish one on war work

Paper 2 was pretty straightforward though, kind of missed out a wee bit on the last one though. Bit of KU.

I expect a B, C at worst
I just realized that my essay contained some minor inconsistencies such as misspelling Kliendeutsch and I wrongly stated that the custom union was created in 1818 and changed its name to the Zollverein. Do you think this will result in a lot of lost marks as apart from this I think the essay made quite good points.
Reply 91

I think for an A it will be 72%

What are you talking about!? It doesn't matter how many factors the guy has mentioned, it's about the quality of his argument and the quality of his conclusion. As long as the factors mentioned were developed and analysis there will be no penalisation for not writing about at least x number of factors.

Then the grade boundary thing: Higher History A cut-off has been sitting at around 68 the past few years so I doubt, especially with the new course and all, that they're going to bump it up by 4 marks.
Can i just say i got an A last year for history, and my essay on Fascism was just terrible i didn't finish it (only done 3 paragraphs as i was struggling on what to write) but my second essay was brilliant and so was paper two the source questions. Just thought i would let you guys know that sometimes one brilliant essay and doing well on paper 2 can seriously pull your marks as i really didn't expect that A.

Good luck :smile:
Did anyone read the instructions on the front of the paper? 'Marks may be taken off for misspellings, or unreadable handwriting.' It was only on paper 2 and my immediate thought was shoot, but how are they going to enforce that one?
Original post by BritainPersonified
Did anyone read the instructions on the front of the paper? 'Marks may be taken off for misspellings, or unreadable handwriting.' It was only on paper 2 and my immediate thought was shoot, but how are they going to enforce that one?

I think it's only about words which you should have learnt or if the examiner is unable to understand the essay due to the punctuation and words. I think the same applies to handwriting.
Reply 95

It said the same on the front of paper 1...after writing my essays i had about 2 minutes spare and i was looking at the front of the paper and was thinking ohh shoot!!
Original post by Darrenh800
I think it's only about words which you should have learnt or if the examiner is unable to understand the essay due to the punctuation and words. I think the same applies to handwriting.

That's good then, I have naturally bad spelling and I was a tad worried about that. Pretty sure the spelling of crucial words of my Essays were alright so *fingers crossed* for A/B

Original post by gemmamce
It said the same on the front of paper 1...after writing my essays i had about 2 minutes spare and i was looking at the front of the paper and was thinking ohh shoot!!

I know, I only caught it on the second paper and then decided to prioritise getting the writing on the page, instead of handwriting :P Consequently by the end of paper two my writing had turned into an almost incomprehensible mess. :P
Reply 97
I didn't notice the thing about handwriting. Ugh. I have appalling handwriting.
Original post by laridum
I didn't notice the thing about handwriting. Ugh. I have appalling handwriting.

I'm sure they won't take it too seriously, or if they do I would say that, that is seriously unfair. Most people are under stress in an exam and handwriting is generally the least of their concerns.
Reply 99
I'm sure they won't take it too seriously, or if they do I would say that, that is seriously unfair. Most people are under stress in an exam and handwriting is generally the least of their concerns.

Yeah. My handwriting kind of transforms into squiggly mess when I'm in a rush (lolll tiny cursive handwriting :frown:). They used to deduct marks for bad spelling/punctuation/handwriting but I thought they'd stopped doing that precisely because it was deemed to be unfair? I'm sure most candidates with terrible handwriting get either a laptop or a scribe but some might not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending