The Student Room Group

WJEC AS & A2 Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colabottles
Hmmm I'd probably hazard a guess at a few things:

1. Meoisis + how it brings up variation (I would die with joy, that's probably just wishful thinking :'D)
2. Human affects on the carbon + nitrogen cyle (maybe? Probably wishful thinking again but would be a good question)
3. Giving a full account of sexual reproduction in humans
4. Something about the human genome project
5. Something about variation + speciation?

Idk though, they're completely unpredictable aren't they :P

What do you reckon?

1. I definitely think meiosis will come up its a pretty standard thing and links right in there with gametogenesis/human reproduction/plant reproduction. So that's a sure thing I reckon.
2.They should have us labelling either human reproductive organs or plant structure, or I thought a really obscure one could be labelling the broad bean structure(though that's unlikely?)
3. Protein synthesis normally comes in the middle it seems. (annoying because i'd love an essay on that!
4. I am pretty sure with how bad over fishing is at the moment and conservation efforts that there will be an essay option on human effect on the environment. (So wordy :frown: )
5. Human genome project I think will come in the middle with protein synthesis, Although they could link a mini essay with cystic fibrosis and the inhalation of the liposomes?

But like you say completely unpredictable! Which sucks. Ha! Maybe I should start with some chemistry revision. burr.
Original post by Apenoviticus
1. I definitely think meiosis will come up its a pretty standard thing and links right in there with gametogenesis/human reproduction/plant reproduction. So that's a sure thing I reckon.
2.They should have us labelling either human reproductive organs or plant structure, or I thought a really obscure one could be labelling the broad bean structure(though that's unlikely?)
3. Protein synthesis normally comes in the middle it seems. (annoying because i'd love an essay on that!
4. I am pretty sure with how bad over fishing is at the moment and conservation efforts that there will be an essay option on human effect on the environment. (So wordy :frown: )
5. Human genome project I think will come in the middle with protein synthesis, Although they could link a mini essay with cystic fibrosis and the inhalation of the liposomes?

But like you say completely unpredictable! Which sucks. Ha! Maybe I should start with some chemistry revision. burr.

Hehe me too -.- I spend far too much time on BY5 :tongue:

And omg what I'd do for an essay on protein synthesis :redface: Maybe if we want it enough it'll happen :wink:
Hehe me too -.- I spend far too much time on BY5 :tongue:

And omg what I'd do for an essay on protein synthesis :redface: Maybe if we want it enough it'll happen :wink:

But By5 has so much content! I really need an A in biology to, and in chemistry.. But I prefer biology uh oh! :biggrin:

Haha! Maybe if we just revise protein synthesis... we will fail miserably and it will be a stupidly long essay on over fishing instead. Somehow it will definitely be the latter :') I don't mind the exams though it the anticipation that is worse!
What is your revision plan for biology? do you read the book/make notes and then re-read them? or do you have loads of different sources?
Original post by Apenoviticus
But By5 has so much content! I really need an A in biology to, and in chemistry.. But I prefer biology uh oh! :biggrin:

Haha! Maybe if we just revise protein synthesis... we will fail miserably and it will be a stupidly long essay on over fishing instead. Somehow it will definitely be the latter :') I don't mind the exams though it the anticipation that is worse!
What is your revision plan for biology? do you read the book/make notes and then re-read them? or do you have loads of different sources?

I just learn the whole student guide word for word, I could probably write it all out in order :') Then make flash cards and underline the key words that they looks for and get my mum to test me until I can do them all correctly, past papers :smile: I don't use loads of different sources though because you run the risk of learning the phrasing that they're not looking for D:
Biology revision is a fail. I cannot concentrate. Boo.
Reply 85
Did BY4 last Monday - was a generally lovely paper but I can assure you I did not do much better than I did in January. I just hate the WJEC mark schemes, they hate me :frown:

BY5 on Wednesday, and I haven't even touched it D: Bye bye University.
Reply 86
Original post by sarp
Did BY4 last Monday - was a generally lovely paper but I can assure you I did not do much better than I did in January. I just hate the WJEC mark schemes, they hate me :frown:

BY5 on Wednesday, and I haven't even touched it D: Bye bye University.

BY5 is just so unseeingly boring and impossible! The last half in the revision guide you just pretty much have to read and hope you remember stupid terms like copiccing and succession! it is so pointless ):
Reply 87
Original post by adaam1
BY5 is just so unseeingly boring and impossible! The last half in the revision guide you just pretty much have to read and hope you remember stupid terms like copiccing and succession! it is so pointless ):

I hate all the stuff about succession, overfishing, genetic engineering and stuff, it's all common sense but I have none of it! It's so tedious. At least you can learn the biological stuff properly :/ Ugh. screwed.
Reply 88
Original post by sarp
I hate all the stuff about succession, overfishing, genetic engineering and stuff, it's all common sense but I have none of it! It's so tedious. At least you can learn the biological stuff properly :/ Ugh. screwed.

I know! and its all that crap that the examiners tend to ask about all the time and where all the marks are usually are! ]= BY4 was similar last week! one question was literally "spot the difference" between the spots on a chromatography piece of paper! i was like omg.
Reply 89
Original post by adaam1
I know! and its all that crap that the examiners tend to ask about all the time and where all the marks are usually are! ]= BY4 was similar last week! one question was literally "spot the difference" between the spots on a chromatography piece of paper! i was like omg.

Haha yeah I know! The question where they asked for which dye came up first, I'm not sure if i got it right or not. I did the obvious thing first, putting the lowest dye as coming first and the second dye dot as coming second - but then I swapped it around because the experiment showed the lowest dye dot appearing after the one higher than it? Was that right?

Blimey, does that even make sense D:
Reply 90
Original post by sarp
Haha yeah I know! The question where they asked for which dye came up first, I'm not sure if i got it right or not. I did the obvious thing first, putting the lowest dye as coming first and the second dye dot as coming second - but then I swapped it around because the experiment showed the lowest dye dot appearing after the one higher than it? Was that right?

Blimey, does that even make sense D:

I cant remember now but I think i just matched the dots with the boxes on either side lmao was so pointless a question!
I am revising BY5 now! well trying! its just too much! who cares about the genome project and how to stop over fishing and what ever else they want us to learn! xD
Reply 91
not loving how BY5 has over double the pages than BY4 in the revision guide!
Original post by Birdy_92
not loving how BY5 has over double the pages than BY4 in the revision guide!

Yeah BY5's as long as the whole of last years AS revision guide :'( ahaha.

Can someone help me with Meiosis, i'm confused, the revision guide says you get a haploid cell after the first division (Meisos I) but that can't be true as the DNA doesn't replicate before Meisos II. Therefore if that was true, the final gametes will have 1/4 the no. of chromosomes.
So am I right in saying you don't get haploid gametes until the second Meiotic division?
Reply 93
Original post by SandDancer
Yeah BY5's as long as the whole of last years AS revision guide :'( ahaha.

Can someone help me with Meiosis, i'm confused, the revision guide says you get a haploid cell after the first division (Meisos I) but that can't be true as the DNA doesn't replicate before Meisos II. Therefore if that was true, the final gametes will have 1/4 the no. of chromosomes.
So am I right in saying you don't get haploid gametes until the second Meiotic division?

Beginning of Meiosis 1 the 46 chromosomes double to 92 chromosomes.
After meiosis 1 has finished two haploid cells in respect to replication each with 46 chromosomes.
Meiosis II the chromosomes split into chromoatids (46/2 = 23)
this results in 4 haploid (23x4=92) =]
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by adaam1
Beginning of Meiosis 1 the 46 chromosomes double to 92 chromosomes.
After meiosis 1 has finished two haploid cells in respect to replication each with 46 chromosomes.
Meiosis II the chromosomes split into chromoatids (46/2 = 23)
this results in 4 haploid (23x4=92) =]

Argh the past paper has really confused me.

Is haploid like one strand of a chromosome or two? D:
Reply 96
Hey guys, does anyone know the grade boundaries for the June 2010 paper out of interest?
Reply 97
Original post by Daave92
Hey guys, does anyone know the grade boundaries for the June 2010 paper out of interest?

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/11532.pdf
Page 16 - and A was 63/80
Reply 98
Anyone else finding BY5 extremely tedious/boring? I've tried to revise tonight, but instead watched Richard Gere and Julia Roberts twice :biggrin: I've partially done 5.1-5.4 tonight though. It's just 5.6-5.8 that really kill. Ugh. I However, this time next week I'll be packing for Barcelona! :biggrin:D
Argh the past paper has really confused me.

Is haploid like one strand of a chromosome or two? D:

So I got really confused with this myself (even though I thought I understood it, it really didn't help that it was late and I was a loser and checked this thread)

I decided to write something down to help explain it all and came up with this to see what people thought and semi explain it to myself.

('-' is the centromere. '|' and '\' are chromatids.
Pink is mummy black is daddy. (simples)

E.g. standard condensed DNA in a diploid cell of say 2n 6 so 6 chromosomes or 3 pairs.
| / | | / | = Germinal Epithelium cell. (either spermatogonia or oogonia) Diploid cell

(Interphase) Dna doubles, so in this case it would go to 12 chromosomes or 6 pairs.
|-| /-/ |-| |-| /-/|-| -

Prophase 1 the chromosomes associated in their homologous pairs. would look like.
|-||-| /-//-/ |-||-|

After Meiosis 1

Cell1 |-| /-/ |-| Cell2 |-| /-/ |-| (random distribution/independent assortment at metaphase means each cell has an equal chance of getting either parternal or maternal chromosomes (Also crossing over has occurred which I can't show diagrammatically). These are now haploid in respect to the type of chromosomes they have. because even though there are 3 pairs i.e 6 chromosomes there are only 3 types in each cell where as the parent nucleus had 6 types 3 from each the mother and father.

After Meiosis 2 (its considered mitosis because the chromosomes are already in their doubled form and so they just separate).

Cell1 | / | Cell2 | / | Cell3 | / | Cell 4 | / |

So you end up with 4 haploid daughter cells! :smile:

Sorry if that was over kill but I wanted to explain it to myself aswell. But Yes a haploid cell of a human would have 23 chromatids or single strands. As a chromosome is made up of 2 chromatids.

I hope I haven't made any mistakes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending