The Student Room Group

Labour Shame...Tory Scandal

“Kicked Out The Commons” :tsr:

Labour MP Dennis Skinner has been banned from the Commons for a day for comments about shadow chancellor George Osborne and cocaine. The claim came as Mr Osborne took on ministers at Treasury questions. Referring to the 1980s, Mr Skinner said: "The only thing that was growing then was the lines of coke in front of Boy George and the rest of the Tories." Speaker Michael Martin told Bolsover MP Mr Skinner to leave the chamber when he refused to withdraw the remark. The MP also said coalfield areas would have "thanked their lucky stars" for the 1.75% growth now being forecast for this year by Chancellor Gordon Brown.

Thrown out

Mr Martin demanded he withdraw his claim but the veteran MP referred to Sunday newspaper claims - denied by Tatton MP Mr Osborne - that he had taken cocaine. Mr Skinner said: "That was in the News of the World and you know it." He continued to refuse when Mr Martin repeated his demand, saying: "No, I'm not withdrawing it ... it's true". The speaker told him to withdraw the comment or leave the chamber, eventually saying: "I order you to leave the chamber." Mr Martin added: "He's withdrawing, he's taken my advice... I know what I've done, he's moved and that's the main thing."

It was later confirmed that Mr Skinner would be excluded from the House for the rest of the day's sitting under rules about "grossly disorderly" behaviour.

Discussion Points:

Do you agree with the decision to kick Denis Skinner out the commons?

What do you think of the Osborne Cameron drugs issue should Mps be allowed to mention the allegations which still go unanswered?

I personally thought it was a step to far, but I’ve heard far worse from George Galloway for example who seems to get away with it. I suppose this is going to be a constant problem for Mr Cameron and Osborne especially as they seem to want to overhaul drugs policy “down grading ecstasy etc” :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4509994.stm

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
DemonDemonic
“Kicked Out The Commons” :tsr:

Labour MP Dennis Skinner has been banned from the Commons for a day for comments about shadow chancellor George Osborne and cocaine. The claim came as Mr Osborne took on ministers at Treasury questions. Referring to the 1980s, Mr Skinner said: "The only thing that was growing then was the lines of coke in front of Boy George and the rest of the Tories." Speaker Michael Martin told Bolsover MP Mr Skinner to leave the chamber when he refused to withdraw the remark. The MP also said coalfield areas would have "thanked their lucky stars" for the 1.75% growth now being forecast for this year by Chancellor Gordon Brown.

Thrown out

Mr Martin demanded he withdraw his claim but the veteran MP referred to Sunday newspaper claims - denied by Tatton MP Mr Osborne - that he had taken cocaine. Mr Skinner said: "That was in the News of the World and you know it." He continued to refuse when Mr Martin repeated his demand, saying: "No, I'm not withdrawing it ... it's true". The speaker told him to withdraw the comment or leave the chamber, eventually saying: "I order you to leave the chamber." Mr Martin added: "He's withdrawing, he's taken my advice... I know what I've done, he's moved and that's the main thing."

It was later confirmed that Mr Skinner would be excluded from the House for the rest of the day's sitting under rules about "grossly disorderly" behaviour.

Discussion Points:

What do you think of the Osborne Cameron drugs issue should Mps be allowed to mention the allegations which still go unanswered?

I personally thought it was a step to far, but I’ve heard far worse from George Galloway for example who seems to get away with it. I suppose this is going to be a constant problem for Mr Cameron and Osborne especially as they seem to want to overhaul drugs policy “down grading ecstasy etc” :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4509994.stm

Of course it was right to kick him out. The Speaker told him to withdraw the statement and he refused.
Reply 2
Hahah, I find it quite funny actually. A total indictment of the House of Commons.
Reply 3
Howard
Of course it was right to kick him out. The Speaker told him to withdraw the statement and he refused.

Well yes if you ignore the speaker then you should be kicked out I suppose I should have phrased the question better.

Do you think the Comments are fair considering the pictures of Osborne?

"can't find it anywhere" He was hugging a prostitute and on the coffee table beside them was a small pile of a white substance.

I think allot of Mps from all sides may find them selves in hot water regarding this issue, after all Cameron just has to say "no I didn't". And Osborne needs to explain that picture.
Reply 4
more shambles from labour. no surprise there then
Reply 5
DemonDemonic
Well yes if you ignore the speaker then you should be kicked out I suppose I should have phrased the question better.

Do you think the Comments are fair considering the pictures of Osborne?

"can't find it anywhere" He was hugging a prostitute and on the coffee table beside them was a small pile of a white substance.

I think allot of Mps from all sides may find them selves in hot water regarding this issue, after all Cameron just has to say "no I didn't". And Osborne needs to explain that picture.

The comments may well have been fair. I don't know enough to say yay or nay.

But I'm afraid that if an MP isn't prepared to follow parliamentary rules of debate (which include shutting the hell up when told to do so by the Speaker) then that MP can rightly be expected to be removed.
it was irrelevant... parliament isnt a place to slag people off.. if you really want to put the opposition down, you do it in an intellectual manner and make them look stupid, not delving into their past and throwing tabloid accusations.. very unprofessional imo.
Come on people, politics is not real, it's theatre.

It was hilarious. Well done Skinner. :biggrin: :biggrin:
I think it was right to suspend Dennis Skinner, but I also think what he said was about a very serous issue regarding one or two new top Tories. There are a lot of unanswerd questions on this one which I think the public should have answered.

And at the very least, it was a rather humerous comment and I'm pleasd the man stood by his words, refused to back down. He did go on to accept the penalty too with out much of a problem (as far as I can tell).
Reply 9
If you know Dennis Skinner then you know his actions today are not uncommon. I see him a lot due to his wife working at my school, and he is a legend.
Reply 10
Danny5876
If you know Dennis Skinner then you know his actions today are not uncommon. I see him a lot due to his wife working at my school, and he is a legend.

He's a lazy bastard who despite telling everyone all about his working classness hasn't got any dirt under his nails for at least three decades. I bet every night he thanks his God that there are still enough deluded ex-miners stuck in a 70's mentally stupid enough to keep him in a job.
Reply 11
As one of my favourite MP's, Dennis Skinner, is well within his rights to say what he said, and although the Speaker shouldn't have forced a withdrawl of comment from him, he had to be excluded.

People like Skinner make politics fun!
Reply 12
Howard
He's a lazy bastard who despite telling everyone all about his working classness hasn't got any dirt under his nails for at least three decades. I bet every night he thanks his God that there are still enough deluded ex-miners stuck in a 70's mentally stupid enough to keep him in a job.

What I'm interested to know is why he had a fat go at Osbourne? I can understand the feelings about the mine closures during the 80's, but why he did he do it? Did osbourne irritate him?

Or worse, did he decide to throw the accusation across to collect more media attention about the whole drugs issue that both Cameron and (to a lesser but more critical extent) Osbourne have had to deal with, hoping it would gather steam once again and maybe even find something more scandalous.

I think he's right to express his mind, but like it was said earlier, the rules in the commons constrain him from doing so.
technik
more shambles from labour. no surprise there then

And more allegations about coke-snorting torys, which also doesnt really surprise anyone
Reply 14

The house of commons should be used for debating issues that effect the citizens that vote them in and not for cheap shots by 'z' list politicians.

Denis Skinner should know better.
Reply 15
cottonmouth
And more allegations about coke-snorting torys, which also doesnt really surprise anyone

labour would know all about allegations, didnt you make allegations in the general election that the economy was strong under yourselves? Going to re-phrase that one are you?
Reply 16
spy007
labour would know all about allegations, didnt you make allegations in the general election that the economy was strong under yourselves? Going to re-phrase that one are you?
Firstly:

learn that allegations should be used in a negative context

then learn economics and understand that the economy is (at least for the time being) healthy.

You really are a troll.
Reply 17
Carl
Firstly:

then learn economics and understand that the economy is (at least for the time being) healthy.

You really are a troll.

no i just hate labour! Everything they stand for! A bunch of communists who think people who dont work should be equal to those who do>>>>>>>. wrong!!

--------------

Carl
Firstly:

You really are a troll.

you can allege something positive!!!!?!?!?
Reply 18
Call me a disturbed product of the modern age, but for me cocaine use pales in significance when positioned against being rude and crass, particularly within the debating chamber of the Mother of Parliaments.
Reply 19
spy007
no i just hate labour! Everything they stand for! A bunch of communists who think people who dont work should be equal to those who do

I think that's old Labour you are talking about. New Labour are an attempt to make the party electable by moving into the centre ground, and forcing tories to occupy the right by blindly walking into an opposition strategy.

Finally, the tories realise that they cannot continue to do this, and so they have to move into the centre ground (as Cameron has been saying ala Modern Conservatism), which worries Labour because they know too well that if 2 parties try to occupy the centre ground, then the only real thing that will define who wins and who loses is the image of each party, and with the recent media interest in the tories going up, they fear that come the next election, they will lose to the image of a fresh new tory party lead by a tory blair talking about perceived left-wing issues like the environment and poverty, which brings me to my final point...

The left-wing government has a leader singing like a right-winger, the right-wing opposition has a leader singing like a left-winger...

The state of British Politics today: Schizophrenic

----------------------------------------------

Mr Spanky, the erotic goldfish

Latest

Trending

Trending