The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Anothe BNP discussion?

On the original point, Dennis Skinner is a legend. Whether he gets chucked out or not I don't really care, so long as he keeps entertaining. Now that Tony Benn and my own Brian Sedgemore are retired, it's only Skinner and Bob Marshall-Andrews flying the flag and entertaining at the same time.
Reply 101
Sirlooney
Surely it's better if we can stop most of this happening in the first place. Think of the victims for a change instead of your own selfish needs. It's not like you actually "need" hard drugs.

A couple of years ago a Police Chief proposed a controversial step of legalising all drugs, including cocaine and heroine. The aim would be to encourage the private sector to try and develop products in this field with versions of the drugs that were harmless, cheap, and less addictive, effectively removing all the elements that make these drugs illegal. It would also be used to reduce drug-related crime, and cut off one of organised crime's biggest revenue streams.

At this current stage I wouldn't dare think of legalising or downgrading any drugs (except light forms of cannabis, for medical use). However, if it were the case that drugs could be provided at a low cost, that were harmless and non-addictive, then I would consider such an option.

The biggest issues though are a) The ability to properly regulate the private sector in this area, b) Ensuring that the drugs have no negative short/long-term effects c) Removing the ability to become addicted to drugs whilst maintaining their effects, which is a conflict because (in the case of both Heroine and Nicotine) there are some drugs which manipulate the part of the brain which generates happiness, and this is where the addiction also comes from.

PS - Unlike Cameron or Osbourne, I can definitely tell you that I've never used drugs, with the exception of Alcohol.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Spanky, the erotic goldfish
MrSpanky
The biggest issues though are a) The ability to properly regulate the private sector in this area, b) Ensuring that the drugs have no negative short/long-term effects c) Removing the ability to become addicted to drugs whilst maintaining their effects, which is a conflict because (in the case of both Heroine and Nicotine) there are some drugs which manipulate the part of the brain which generates happiness, and this is where the addiction also comes from.

How about saying "screw this" and lettting the free market sort it all out?

MrSpanky
PS - Unlike Cameron or Osbourne, I can definitely tell you that I've never used drugs, with the exception of Alcohol.

Come on, you've got to have used caffeine. Everybody's used that - even me, and I hate coffee.
Reply 103
I do not doubt that legalisation of all recreational drugs is the way forward. The present system, where it is only the criminals who control the supply, is killing people.

No one is ever going to make these substances non-addictive, however we shall deal with these social consequences in the same way as we deal with addiction to other substances. I don't believe for a second that legalisation will dramatically increase drug use - after all, I'm pretty sure we could all get our hands on virtually anything if we put our minds to it.

So less death, less addiction, less crime, less money for undesirables to carry out their work (drugs go towards keeping people like the IRA and organised gangs in operation), stimulation of the free market and... I suppose... more tax revenue for the bloody government.

I don't see much of an argument against it.
tommorris

Come on, you've got to have used caffeine. Everybody's used that - even me, and I hate coffee.

How about aspirin?
Dennis Skinner is quite a wanker really.
Reply 106
LibertineNorth

So less death, less addiction, less crime, less money for undesirables to carry out their work (drugs go towards keeping people like the IRA and organised gangs in operation), stimulation of the free market and... I suppose... more tax revenue for the bloody government.

Slightly off point, but why, out of all illegal organisations (even all in the six counties) would you single out "the IRA"?

--------------

an Siarach
Dennis Skinner is quite a wanker really.

no. a true legend
Reply 107
Ossie1701
Probably because you would chuck everyone who is not white, protestant and can prove their family have been British for 100 generations - out of the UK!

Cut and paste,cut and paste,cut and paste,cut and paste.

All i do is cut and paste,cut and paste.

Try thumping the keyboard and see if any other sentence is formed.

sod it just cut and paste.
Reply 108
Still Ill
Slightly off point, but why, out of all illegal organisations (even all in the six counties) would you single out "the IRA"?

They strike me as the most prolific organised gang in this country...
LibertineNorth

Surely, that's the govenrment, no? They are organised, armed and have mass acceptance by the populace. They can shoot someone and only a very small number of people care.
Reply 110
There is a moral difference. The state, regardless of how misguided, is benevolent.
LibertineNorth
There is a moral difference. The state, regardless of how misguided, is benevolent.

Six million Jews (give or take) died at the hands of the Nazi state. Many millions more died at the hands of the Soviet state. Misguided, yes, but always benevolent.
Reply 112
LibertineNorth

That's dubious in itself, but they are certainly not the most prolific when it comes to drug trafficking/dealing, so I can only think that you singled them out for mention for your own political reasons.
Reply 113
Oh yes, my political agenda is best served by supporting Ulster Unionism in a thread that has nothing to do with the Northern Irish issue and where no one gives a rat's arse about the situation.

Would you be happy if I mentioned the UDA here? A bit of 'parity of esteem' as I believe you like to say over there? They are a criminal gang that deal drugs too after all.

Oh, and Tom:
"

Six million Jews (give or take) died at the hands of the Nazi state. Many millions more died at the hands of the Soviet state. Misguided, yes, but always benevolent."

This is the British state we're talking about. Anyway, even the Soviets and the Nazis were acting in the "interests" of what they saw as their people...
LibertineNorth
This is the British state we're talking about. Anyway, even the Soviets and the Nazis were acting in the "interests" of what they saw as their people...

Would it be okay if the Nazi regime had popped up in the UK rather than in Germany? It would only have been a little twist of historical contingency and Britain could have been the fascist regime rather than Germany.

Surely, if some cursory benevolence is all that is required, then a dictator simply has to define himself as his "people", and act with benevolence to his own whims, and he is then justified as being not-malevolent? That fantastic unseen Bond villain, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, from the movies From Russia With Love and Thunderball, acted with benevolence towards his white, Persian cat.
Reply 115
LibertineNorth
Oh yes, my political agenda is best served by supporting Ulster Unionism in a thread that has nothing to do with the Northern Irish issue and where no one gives a rat's arse about the situation.

Would you be happy if I mentioned the UDA here? A bit of 'parity of esteem' as I believe you like to say over there? They are a criminal gang that deal drugs too after all.

Yes, that's exactly what I think is going on here, subconscious or not.
What I'm saying is that you either shouldn't have mentioned a specific organisation, or in any case shouldn't have allowed your (unrelated) political opinion to dictate who you mentioned. After all, the UDA are way more famed for their drug dealing. I just don't see why you mentioned the IRA, when, as you said, it's an unrelated topic.
Reply 116
Still Ill
Yes, that's exactly what I think is going on here, subconscious or not.
What I'm saying is that you either shouldn't have mentioned a specific organisation, or in any case shouldn't have allowed your (unrelated) political opinion to dictate who you mentioned. After all, the UDA are way more famed for their drug dealing. I just don't see why you mentioned the IRA, when, as you said, it's an unrelated topic.

Ah, but I was referring to the consequences of the drug trade, not the trade itself. And the consequences of the IRA having money were always more apparently over here than the UDA having it. Basically, IRA get money = things going bang.

I no longer care what happens to Ireland. Both sides are scum and the rest are simply unable to sort themselves out.

Latest

Trending

Trending