The Student Room Group

Help! Studying abroad in Germany/Netherlands/Sweden

Hi guys,

I need your help. Basically my plan is to study in one of these countries at university and I don't think I have the requirements to study there! I'm taking an Access Course in September and was wondering if foreign universities recognize it? I really want to go study abroad and since the new fee's have come into place it's a no brainer for me!

Please help me!
Reply 1
Access course won't help you in Germany.As far as I know you need to pass a competitive 1 year preparation before you actually enroll in a uni.
Reply 2
plus, speak the language
Original post by Theconomist
Access course won't help you in Germany.As far as I know you need to pass a competitive 1 year preparation before you actually enroll in a uni.

He probably means that in Germany exists the possibility to spend your first year at a Studienkolleg if your qualification(from a foreign country) isn't sufficient to study in Germany. Nevertheless you can't go there without a good knowlegde of German (don't need to be perfect, so it's doable).
In any case you have to address the Zeugnisannahmestelle and the Universities. To get an idea of the German qualification (for polytechnics they are less strict) you could search for the thread about the recognition Abitur and A levels in this forum.
Reply 4
I can't speak for Germany or the Netherlands, but I can advise you on Sweden.
To do that I first need to know:
-What are your qualifications?
-What is an access course?
- What is it that you want to study?
I was wondering, if you wanted to study abroad in the Netherlands, and are a citizen of England, can you still apply for loans from the student loans company? for both living fees and tuition? And do you absolutely have to be able to speak the language?
Its just I desperately want to study a liberal arts degree but they don't offer any in the UK and I cant afford the tuition fees at an American university as my family wouldn't be able to help me out money wise and there is very little funding possible....
Reply 6
The netherlands has several liberal arts universities, for example Roosevelt Academy (www.roac.nl) There the language of instruction is English, so that would not be a problem for you.

I believe you can apply for Dutch loans if you work at least 30 hours a month or something. It should be on the DUO website (that is the organisation that arranges all study loans)
Dutch/EU tuitions fees are 1700 euro a year, so a lot less than the UK.
Reply 7
Original post by ninjascantswim
[...] Its just I desperately want to study a liberal arts degree but they don't offer any in the UK and I cant afford the tuition fees at an American university as my family wouldn't be able to help me out money wise and there is very little funding possible....

My understanding of what constitutes a liberal arts degree might be wrong, but seeing as the American system originated from the Scottish system, they would be the most likely place to start looking; in fact, I have just had a look at St Andrews and they do offer a general degree.

In addition, given that you have a major and minor in the American system, I do not really see the big deal. You could just as well do a joint-honours degree in the UK and be selective with which units you pick so you are doing lots of different subjects.
Reply 8
Original post by Apollonia
I can't speak for Germany or the Netherlands, but I can advise you on Sweden.
To do that I first need to know:
-What are your qualifications?
-What is an access course?
- What is it that you want to study?

I do have A-levels but there not at good enough grades.

And access course info here:

http://www.solent.ac.uk/students/undergraduate/adult_learners/what_is_access_course.aspx

Also, I want to study European/International Law.

Cheers
Original post by evantej
My understanding of what constitutes a liberal arts degree might be wrong, but seeing as the American system originated from the Scottish system, they would be the most likely place to start looking; in fact, I have just had a look at St Andrews and they do offer a general degree.

In addition, given that you have a major and minor in the American system, I do not really see the big deal. You could just as well do a joint-honours degree in the UK and be selective with which units you pick so you are doing lots of different subjects.

The problem with the doing a join degree and doing other modules from different subjects is that I've contacted some universities that I like and have been for open days but most of them are very strict on what modules they let you do and are not willing to be flexible to suit their students or just generally avoid the question. And I'm not namin the universities but two of them were extremely rude when I asked if it was possible (naturally only if it fits into the timetables)... :s-smilie:
Reply 10
The problem with the doing a join degree and doing other modules from different subjects is that I've contacted some universities that I like and have been for open days but most of them are very strict on what modules they let you do and are not willing to be flexible to suit their students or just generally avoid the question. And I'm not namin the universities but two of them were extremely rude when I asked if it was possible (naturally only if it fits into the timetables)... :s-smilie:

That does seem odd. At my old university all the lecturers encouraged us to do other units; in fact, because it was such a small institution it was impossible even for single-honours students to only take units from their subject. As an English student, I had to take at least one unit from another subject because there were 'not enough' English units. In my first and second years, I took a unit in creative writing. In my third year, I took a unit in philosophy. At my new university I take whatever units I want; the nature of the programme actually encourages this.

While it will depend on the university, doing a joint honours degree might - by the time you get to your third year - mean only having to do one core unit in each subject, which means you have a lot of choice, potentially. In this sense, given that money is a problem I would have a proper look around UK universities to see if any offer the freedom you want. In my experience, universities in Europe tend to be more restrictive so the only other option would be the US.
Just of of curiosity what Uni did you go to? And I'd love to go to an American university but theres no way I'd ever be able to afford the tuition fees and living fees with no help and there is practically zero funding unless your a genius...
Have you checked out University Colleges in the Netherlands? (ie: Utrecht, Maastricht). Tuition fees are low, it's in a liberal arts style and language of instruction is English.

If you want to do a law degree, there's plenty of law schools in the Netherlands as well (Groningen, Amsterdam, Maastricht, etc)
Reply 13
Original post by Dubstarr
Hi guys,

I need your help. Basically my plan is to study in one of these countries at university and I don't think I have the requirements to study there! I'm taking an Access Course in September and was wondering if foreign universities recognize it? I really want to go study abroad and since the new fee's have come into place it's a no brainer for me!

Please help me!

Hey, Maastricht University in The Netherlands offers a 3-Year Bachelor in 'European Law' in English language. Tuition fees cost: £1474 or 1700 Euros per year.

Link is: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Faculties/FL/TargetGroup/ProspectiveStudents/BachelorsProgrammes/EuropeanLawSchoolEnglishLanguageTrack.htm

They should be able to accept your Access Course qualification co'z it was done in an EU country (i.e. UK).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
Hey, Maastricht University in The Netherlands offers a 3-Year Bachelor in 'European Law' in English language. Tuition fees cost: £1474 or 1700 Euros per year.

Link is: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/web/Faculties/FL/TargetGroup/ProspectiveStudents/BachelorsProgrammes/EuropeanLawSchoolEnglishLanguageTrack.htm

They should be able to accept your Access Course qualification co'z it was done in an EU country (i.e. UK).

That is great news!

Thank you very much!
Reply 15
I was wondering, if you wanted to study abroad in the Netherlands, and are a citizen of England, can you still apply for loans from the student loans company? for both living fees and tuition? And do you absolutely have to be able to speak the language?
Its just I desperately want to study a liberal arts degree but they don't offer any in the UK and I cant afford the tuition fees at an American university as my family wouldn't be able to help me out money wise and there is very little funding possible....

There's a similar sort of job at UCL, and the University of Westminster/Winchester(can't remember which) offers liberal arts. You could also try University College Maastricht

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending