The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Brunel or reading uni: computer science

Hi everyone,

I’m in a dilemma about choosing between Brunel and Reading Universities for a computer science degree. I live quite close to Brunel, just a 20-minute commute, while Reading is a bit further, about a 1 hour and 20 minutes journey. Both universities gave me similar offers, and I enjoyed the open days at each. Brunel offered me DDM, and Reading offered DMM. Choosing Brunel means I’d save around £300 a month on travel and wouldn’t need a maintenance loan.

I’m wondering if there’s a significant difference in the quality of education and job prospects after graduating from either university. Considering the financial savings and convenience of Brunel versus what Reading has to offer, which option seems better?

Thanks so much for your input. It’s greatly appreciated.
Hi there!

Great to hear you're considering Brunel for your Computer Science degree!

Brunel's Computer Science graduates' earnings rank in the top 15 in the UK according to the government's latest LEO data.

On Brunel’s Computer Science BSc course, you'll gain the ability to develop software solutions to business problems. You’ll learn to specify, design, code, modify and test different types of software, from web-based systems to mobile solutions, in a contemporary programming paradigm.

This exciting degree course is also increasingly using technologies such as drones and robots in coursework and projects.

As part of your degree course, you’ll have the chance to take a year-long work placement between your second year and third year. Brunel will support you to find the paid professional experience, in the UK or abroad.

The programme is accredited by the British Computer Society, the Chartered Institute for IT, for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional (CITP).

The accreditation also allows you to apply for professional membership of the BCS after you have successfully completed your degree.

Recent graduates have gone on to work for well-known names such as Accenture, Toshiba, Microsoft, British Airways, O2, and Barclays.

The campus itself has a really great community feel - I guess you've already seen that for yourself at the open day!? But there's loads of food places, sports clubs etc. right at your finger tips!

If you've received an offer you should be invited to our applicant day on 10th April, I'd highly recommend going along as you can get a real feel for what life is like at Brunel!

All the best,

Sophie
(Brunel Student Rep)
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Original post by Mr ?
Hi everyone,
I’m in a dilemma about choosing between Brunel and Reading Universities for a computer science degree. I live quite close to Brunel, just a 20-minute commute, while Reading is a bit further, about a 1 hour and 20 minutes journey. Both universities gave me similar offers, and I enjoyed the open days at each. Brunel offered me DDM, and Reading offered DMM. Choosing Brunel means I’d save around £300 a month on travel and wouldn’t need a maintenance loan.
I’m wondering if there’s a significant difference in the quality of education and job prospects after graduating from either university. Considering the financial savings and convenience of Brunel versus what Reading has to offer, which option seems better?
Thanks so much for your input. It’s greatly appreciated.

Hey!

It's super exciting that you've received an offer for both universities - well done! Great question - I totally get that this is a huge decision so you need to consider all the factors for sure.

If I'm completely honest, I think there are likely pros and cons to both options and so the decision needs to be based on what your personal preferences are/what is right for you, as at the end of the day, that will be your life for the next 3 or so years, so you have to be happy. Some advice would be to consider the structure of both courses: what's different about both in terms of content, assessments, opportunities... what is most beneficial way of learning for you? Which uni offers the most of that? and so on.. and then consider lifestyle-wise: if you aren't going to be living in the area of each, is the commute a big factor that you need to consider? How much does that impact your choice? Also, what kind of environment do you want when you are studying - what is the atmosphere like on each campus? Where do you think you will thrive best?

Reading has a lot to offer in terms of the course and its campus too (which I'm so glad to hear you've managed to see!). Similar to Brunel, our course is BCS accredited and you also have the opportunity to opt for a year-long paid placement year in industry, with the chance to study abroad in places such as Australia, Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, South Korea, Sweden, and the United States. The department also has 100% of its research impact considered as outstanding or very considerable, therefore you would have the opportunity to be a part of that success, should you choose to join us here.
A former Reading student said this about the course:
"I chose to study at the University of Reading due to its strong reputation both specifically in my degree course and as a university as a whole as well as its high rate of graduate employment for my course, due in part to its excellent location amongst some of the largest global technology companies" - Alex Weeser, BSc Computer Science.

I would really advise taking a look at the structure and modules of both courses though and considering what is most suitable for you personally! You can take a look at the structure at Reading here.

Some other bonuses to Reading are its renowned green campuses, which have won Green Flag awards for 13 consecutive years, so it is a beautiful campus to study on, with lots of nature to enjoy on your study breaks, as well as it being such a welcoming atmosphere. The overriding factor for me personally when choosing Reading was actually how approachable and welcoming everyone was on the open day and how homely the campus felt! It was just a really lovely, warm atmosphere that I felt comfortable being in, so thought that would be a optimal study environment! It has a brand new, state of the art library to enjoy along with lots of other great facilities, bars and restaurants for you to make use of in between lectures.

Hope this helps a little bit, but do ask if you have any other questions! Choose whatever you think would be best for you individually.

Good luck with your decision!

Skye :smile:
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending