The Student Room Group

What are your plans for travel this summer?

This poll is closed

Share your travel plans

Going away with family 22%
Party holiday 22%
Planning travel with friends (e.g. backpacking) 33%
No budget to travel this year 11%
Not decided11%
Total votes: 9
Do you have any travel plans this summer?
Original post by Travel Aware

Yes I do! I've just come back from Spain. Anyone planning on visiting Barcelona keep an eye out for protests. We saw a few, and although they were peaceful it does mean big busy crowds, and in a place like Barcelona that makes it even easier for pickpockets! If you have a news app on your phone I'd recommend adding 'Spain' into your news feed, made it easy for us to know what was going on in the country we were travelling in.

If you're planning on going to Madrid, I'd recommend taking part in the classic siesta (a short nap in the afternoon) because the current heatwave is reaching 40 degrees.

And finally for Ibiza, my best advice would be to buy yourself a nice pre-made sangria from the shop and drink it at your hotel/hostel. Not only will you save yourself money, keep your drinks safe but also avoid the fines for drinking on the beach.

I'm off to New York soon- if anyone has advice :smile:
I am going to a city trip or two with a friend. That lasts almost or a whole week.
Currently finishing up my study abroad in Germany! Taking the opportunity to travel around as much as I can before I come back in August and for as cheap as possible after the year I've already had already exploring Europe!

If you find yourself in Germany make sure to look into their 49€ Deutschland ticket for unlimited travel (on selected transports) for the month. It's great because it also covers all bus/tram/regional S-Bahn so you won't need to keep buying local transport tickets when you're exploring new cities. Just a warning that it is an automatic subscription so if you're only after one month it's best to cancel straight away. I've been living in Heidelberg, which is about an hour on the train south from Frankfurt and definitely worth the visit if you find yourself nearby! It's got plenty to explore in and around the Altstadt (Old Town), Heidelberg Castle, Neckar river and surrounding woodlands for hiking trails and beer gardens. It's also a really big student city with an active nightlife on the Untere Str which switches from a cute side street in the day to a bustling bar/club strip in the night. It is quite a touristy city but having lived here the past 10 months there is definitely a way to do it on a budget! As a student, make sure you always travel with your student card as it will often give you big discounts on events, shops and more. If you're also in a European city and not sure what to do as a student, try and find the local ESN sections (Erasmus Student Network) social media as it'll be a great way to find upcoming events with other international students but also look back at some of what their city has to offer!

Safe travels :smile:
I am planning for Bali trip this summer. Heard a lot about their stunning beaches, vibrant culture, lush landscapes, and rich traditions. Uduk, Kuta, Nusa Penida these places are in my bucket list.
Reply 5
Got a research thing at cambridge for a month, then im just gonna be at home doing NSAA practice and building this project im working on
Original post by clark_henry
I am planning for Bali trip this summer. Heard a lot about their stunning beaches, vibrant culture, lush landscapes, and rich traditions. Uduk, Kuta, Nusa Penida these places are in my bucket list.

Me too! some people I know some people who have already been there and told me the same. I wish you a good trip and a nice time there!
Reply 7
I might nip across somewhere for a weekend but I already did all of June in Portugal so that was my big one.
Original post by gjd800
I might nip across somewhere for a weekend but I already did all of June in Portugal so that was my big one.

Make an excursion for a day or two in a weekend is always nice. :yes: I hope that you have had a good time in Portugal.
Reply 9
Original post by Kallisto
Make an excursion for a day or two in a weekend is always nice. :yes: I hope that you have had a good time in Portugal.

I did, thank you! I needed the reset :biggrin:

I don't have a lot of plans yet. I know for sure I'll visit France with my family. We are going to Paris. I'm really excited, since it's going to be my first time in France. I've always wanted to see the eiffel tower and now I'll finally have the chance to see it in person. As for my other plans, I think I'll go somewhere with my friends, but we don't know where yet. We'll probably visit some city in Poland or we'll go to Greece. I also really want to visit Italy, but I don't know if I'll be able to do that this year. If not, I'll definitely go there in the future.
Reply 11
probably a weekend in southern France at the end of August.
After my flight was cancelled, I decided to stay at home this summer. And do whatever I like.
Original post by belkcambura71
I don't have a lot of plans yet. I know for sure I'll visit France with my family. We are going to Paris. I'm really excited, since it's going to be my first time in France. I've always wanted to see the eiffel tower and now I'll finally have the chance to see it in person. As for my other plans, I think I'll go somewhere with my friends, but we don't know where yet. We'll probably visit some city in Poland or we'll go to Greece. I also really want to visit Italy, but I don't know if I'll be able to do that this year. If not, I'll definitely go there in the future.

If you'll be in Europe and wanted to see a bit more with your friends (in a budget friendly way) I'd recommend looking into FlixBus as it's helped me see so many cities this year! I managed to go from Heidelberg (Germany) to Lund (Sweden) for 20 euros, so if you don't mind the longer travel times it definitely makes travelling around Europe more budget friendly :smile:
I've been very lucky to have been able to travel to Japan in May just gone and I went to Dublin last week. I'll be working through summer so no other plans of going away. But perhaps some short UK trips in September/October :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I've been very lucky to have been able to travel to Japan in May just gone and I went to Dublin last week. I'll be working through summer so no other plans of going away. But perhaps some short UK trips in September/October :smile:

Cool, sounds like that a dream of yourself came true. Short trips for a weekend is always a good idea. Do it, if you can! :yes:
Not got any travel plans this summer. My holiday is in december.
Original post by Emma:-)
Not got any travel plans this summer. My holiday is in december.

Mine either in October or next year. I have to wait and see and to hope that trains are more reliable than flights.

Quick Reply

Latest