The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
For the rivers 15 marker I used The River Quaggy as an example of soft engineering and the Three Gorges Dam, then compaired their advantages and disadvantages, then concluded at the end about the cost, social, economic, environmental impact and the disruptions caused by the two schemes then agreed with the statement.

For the population 15 marker I wrote about what the DTM is, why and how it's used. Then advantages: it's easy to interpret, can be applied to all countries, therefore it can be uses to compare the demographic socio-economic patterns between countries, (good starting point for demographically studies) and that it shows how a society/pop has changed over time and the speed at which it did so - can be used to predict future patterns etc.
Then for disadvantages: it's Eurocentric, doesn't show gov. population policies such as Chinas OCP and Thailands encouragement of contraception etc. It doesn't show the impact of migration (then talked about US east and west hemisphere restrictions on immigration, Phillipines encouraging emigration etc) therefore demographic only derived from the model won't be fully accurate.

(for the settlement areas question I talked about the Isle of Purbeck and Nechells in Birmingham but I didn't really understand what the question was asking?)

For the coasts 15 marker, I talked about Barton On Sea, how the hard engineering protects nature reserves, brighton and Portsmouth, a main railway, a main link road (A259 I think) and then talked about rock groynes and sea walls, how they reduce the rate of erosion etc. What the rates of erosion would be without the hard engineering then talked about environmental, social and economic impacts. (such as resettlement of people who lived near the coast, this would lead to congestion and strain on pulic transport on destination towns inland etc.

For the energy 15 marker I talked about Bioethanol production in Brazil, how it's made, gov. Policies how it's better for the environment. Then Scotland producing the worlds first bus to run on wave energy, then talked about development and expansion of knowledge, science and technology used to develop non-diesel fueled cars and talked about battery charging etc. Then finally about Agenda 21, the Kyoto Protacol and the White Paper 2007 scheme in the UK, how this has influenced the encouragement in the use of public transport etc.

(I know I wrote a lot there, but I wanted to know if anybody had anything along the same lines? I think energy was my worst overall because my arm was practically dead half way through population, but overall I feel the paper went ok... I was a little disappointed that the pop. 15 marker didn't ask for case studies - learnt so many! I hope everybody found it ok and gets the marks they wanted !)
Reply 301
Original post by tehforum
Spearmans came up in Jan 11.

They could give us standard deviation though.

it could come up again
like with paper 1, dmt stuff came in january but it came again last week
so i'd go through it just in case
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh, if anyone wants
Original post by huggies55
it could come up again
like with paper 1, dmt stuff came in january but it came again last week
so i'd go through it just in case

I will.

Also, I am going to upload all the markschemes that have ever come up into one convenient file.
There you go.
Reply 304
Original post by Schvoogle
Anyone else do the health topic? I couldn't find the term 'non-communicable' in any AS Geography textbooks?! I should've used my common sense, but after 1 hour & 50 minutes that was in short supply & I ended up writing a 2 page speil on HIV/AIDS :frown: Will I get any marks if I still described the impacts?

UNfortunately you will get 0. last year there was a question on a disease of affluence similar to communicable question you did.I wrote about HIV, got my script back and pow...NAQ ...0!
Reply 305
There you go.

oh wow that's so nice of you

tsr wouldn't let me give you more than 1...
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
(edited 12 years ago)
oh wow that's so nice of you

tsr wouldn't let me give you more than 1...
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

You need to increase your rep power to have any effect on other peoples rep.

Thanks.
Good luck, I'm going to start revising now!
Reply 308
You need to increase your rep power to have any effect on other peoples rep.

Thanks.

no idea what that means, but cool
i guess im sort of a noob, i've been familiar with tsr for quite a while, but didn't need to post anything
anyways, thanks and good luck with exam. i need to start revising...
Reply 309
Can someone confirm if antarctica is a tundra area? Would it have been ok to talk about sealing, whaling, fishing, tourism the antarctic treaty/ 1991 protocol??????? Im hearing that only the arctic is a tundra area. Oh noe!!!!
Original post by Hamzah
Can someone confirm if antarctica is a tundra area? Would it have been ok to talk about sealing, whaling, fishing, tourism the antarctic treaty/ 1991 protocol??????? Im hearing that only the arctic is a tundra area. Oh noe!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tundra

There are three types of tundra: Arctic tundra,[2] alpine tundra,[2] and Antarctic tundra.[3
Reply 311
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tundra

There are three types of tundra: Arctic tundra,[2] alpine tundra,[2] and Antarctic tundra.[3

Yh i have read that but what do you think AQA will think of it??? do you think they will hand out marks!!! of tehforum relieve me of my misery
Original post by Hamzah
Yh i have read that but what do you think AQA will think of it??? do you think they will hand out marks!!! of tehforum relieve me of my misery

I reckon it is a tundra.

Don't worry.
spearman's rank: basically just order the data in ascending order. then use the rank numbers and differences and substitute into the equation. i need to revise it but its basically as simple as that
it gives a value between -1 and 1. then look up the number in the table and it'll tell you if the data correlation is significant or not. i personally think it's flawed a little, and there are other correlation tests that are better, but whatevs.

dispersion graphs, they basically give you the data in visual form. if you're having trouble with them, it might be better to write out the whole data out (if there aren't too many values). remember, if a number has more than 1 cross, (example the value 35 has 5 crosses) that means there are 5 35's,when you write it out it'll be like 35, 35, 35, 35, 35

hope this helps, i know its confusing but the best way is to practise and figure out what's best for you.
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/maths/bivariate-data/revise-it/correlation?nocache=1
spearman's rank is half way down the page

It won't be spearmen's b/c we had it in January 2011, and bradshaw told us that he wouldn't set the same thing right after eachother.
Just saying...
Reply 314
Original post by dull_brilliance
It won't be spearmen's b/c we had it in January 2011, and bradshaw told us that he wouldn't set the same thing right after eachother.
Just saying...

is it a different examiner person for skills papers compared to physical paper? cz in paper one dmt model came in january and may this year. and bradshaw, is he the chief examiner person? any relation to the bradshaw model thingy?
and what did you do for your fieldwork?
the other graphs are in the spec
and spearman's rank, they give you the equation but you have to know how to use it
im gunna have a quick nap till about 5, so i'll help you then. on scriblink or sumat. send a pm my way after 5

oh well at least they give you the equation, sorry just got this so wasnt on earlier!! do you know how to do standard diversion? :\
do you think rivers will be the question not pop coz population has come up alot over the past few years? how you revising for that part of the exam?
thankss
Reply 316
Original post by tabby_girl
oh well at least they give you the equation, sorry just got this so wasnt on earlier!! do you know how to do standard diversion? :\
do you think rivers will be the question not pop coz population has come up alot over the past few years? how you revising for that part of the exam?
thankss

erm, you mean standard deviation? yeah i do. you basically just substract the mean from each value, then square what you get, then add up all the (value-mean)squared stuff and then divide the total by how many values there are.

im not really sure about the whole rivers vs pop thing. im comfortable with all the maths bits, so just going through the fieldwork questions and hoping for the best. forgot about the other section though, damn. gotta look at past papers
Reply 317
Good luck everyone!
i found it quite easy tbh - the food question was a bit weird though. and to be honest those articles were pointless!
Probably irrelevant, and slightly late with the commenting, but upon seeing the 15 marker on Cold Environments and tundras, did nobody else start singing this in their heads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IjGNJPNyzU

(':

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending