The Student Room Group

A-level Geography Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the A-level Geography Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - Geography 7037

Edexcel - Geography 9GE0

OCR- Geography H481

WJEC - Geography

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

Scroll to see replies

Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:

BBC - Our World: The Battle for the South China Sea
How China came to dominate the South China Sea | Counting the Cost
Reply 2
OCR geog, Can't wait:s-smilie:
Original post by tmcm
OCR geog, Can't wait:s-smilie:

I'm going to take you at face value on that one :lol:

How are you finding it so far?
Reply 4
Original post by Evil Homer
I'm going to take you at face value on that one :lol:

How are you finding it so far?

Honestly really enjoying it, just the sheer amount of content and synoptic links required is tiring!
Original post by tmcm
Honestly really enjoying it, just the sheer amount of content and synoptic links required is tiring!

Well if you enjoy it that's half the battle. Make sure you take some time out to relax as well, revision works best as a balance :smile:
> What exam board are you on?
Edexcel
Superpowers and tectonic hazards
Hydrological cycle and coasts

Seneca and believe it or not, documentaries and ted talks.
Original post by JA03
> What exam board are you on?
Edexcel
Superpowers and tectonic hazards
Hydrological cycle and coasts

Seneca and believe it or not, documentaries and ted talks.

Have you got any recommendations for documentaries or ted talks? Would love to link directly to one or two for people :smile:
Original post by Evil Homer
Have you got any recommendations for documentaries or ted talks? Would love to link directly to one or two for people :smile:

'Is China the new idol for emerging economies?' by Dambisa Moyo is really good for anyone doing the superpowers topic.
I think there's a documentary on about territories of the Arctic Circle (relates to the territorial claims of countries close to the Arctic circle hoping to use the area for oil and gas and the Nenets.)
Videos on the South China Sea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ros3jw588U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTsVaYVLk8
edexcel geography..
the hardest bit so far is the water topic
have any of u guys applied for geography at uni?
Original post by starrrrlight99
edexcel geography..

Nope! I am a chemist at heart but a lot of geography revolves around chemistry so it's a win if I pass, I'm just hoping to get a good mark on my NEA.

I hate the water topic, it's the hardest thing ever but right now, doing drought, it seems okay but I think my strong topic will be carbon when we do carbon sequestration and energy security.
Original post by JA03
Nope! I am a chemist at heart but a lot of geography revolves around chemistry so it's a win if I pass, I'm just hoping to get a good mark on my NEA.

I hate the water topic, it's the hardest thing ever but right now, doing drought, it seems okay but I think my strong topic will be carbon when we do carbon sequestration and energy security.

nicee i did chemistry as but it was too hard for me lol so i dropped it.. and true drought seems the best bit out of water we are learning it now too
Reply 12
Original post by starrrrlight99
edexcel geography..

Yep I’m doing human geog at uni hopefully!
Original post by tmcm

nice i applied for physical
ahh i’ve applied for human geography too! what uni(s) are you considering?
i’m doing aqa but we have a water and carbon cycle topic we’re starting soon, assuming that would be similar aha
Original post by tmcm
(edited 1 year ago)
im considering taking a level geography, what's it like?
Original post by JA03

is there quite a bit of chemistry invovled with the water and carbon topics, if so is it just the basic understanding of how it works or actual molecular stuff?
Original post by million.
is there quite a bit of chemistry invovled with the water and carbon topics, if so is it just the basic understanding of how it works or actual molecular stuff?

I’m currently doing water now and there isn’t a lot of chemistry in geography - we don’t look at things at a molecular level but at everything as a whole.
After you do some of the topics, it’s fairly okay. Currently, we’re doing the water cycle then going onto carbon and most of it is common sense when you get into the basic concepts like residence times.

In human geography, superpowers is very relevant and related to current conflicts so it is good to use some things you’ve seen on the news.

A girl in my class did an NEA on vegetation and she used a lot of biology (plant succession) and she even used pH paper (edit: or universal indicator - I can’t remember)

Some things where we might see some chemistry is about the whole in the ozone (might be in the carbon cycle) which is caused by CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons).

A-Level Geography is great. I love it and if you decide to do it at uni, it is probably the most employable degree there is - some people who do a geography degree even undertake research in the arctic and get to travel the world.

As for the workload, I’m a visual learner for geography so I have a number of mindmaps and some revision guides so it isn’t that much - it’s a great course to do. I highly recommend it. I don’t put in that much effort if I’m honest and I’m predicted to get a solid B so if you’re willing to put some extra work in, you can definitely get an A and I am hoping to retain a lot of my geography knowledge throughout this year so I’m going to hopefully answer any geography-related questions and give away some of my resources so they don’t go to waste!
(edited 1 year ago)

There’s some ‘chemistry of the atmosphere’ that goes in geography such as sulfur released from volcanoes and CFCs and the ozone and how GHGs (methane, CO2, etc) cause global warming (preventing some sun rays from escaping the atmosphere)
Original post by JA03
I’m currently doing water now and there isn’t a lot of chemistry in geography - we don’t look at things at a molecular level but at everything as a whole.
After you do some of the topics, it’s fairly okay. Currently, we’re doing the water cycle then going onto carbon and most of it is common sense when you get into the basic concepts like residence times.

In human geography, superpowers is very relevant and related to current conflicts so it is good to use some things you’ve seen on the news.

A girl in my class did an NEA on vegetation and she used a lot of biology (plant succession) and she even used pH paper.

Some things where we might see some chemistry is about the whole in the ozone (might be in the carbon cycle) which is caused by CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons).

A-Level Geography is great. I love it and if you decide to do it at uni, it is probably the most employable degree there is - some people who do a geography degree even undertake research in the arctic and get to travel the world.

As for the workload, I’m a visual learner for geography so I have a number of mindmaps and some revision guides so it isn’t that much - it’s a great course to do. I highly recommend it. I don’t put in that much effort if I’m honest and I’m predicted to get a solid B so if you’re willing to put some extra work in, you can definitely get an A and I am hoping to retain a lot of my geography knowledge throughout this year so I’m going to hopefully answer any geography-related questions and give away some of my resources so they don’t go to waste!

thank you so much:smile:
thank you so much:smile:

No worries! I’m assuming you’re doing GCSE - feel free to tag me in any geography questions you have! such as exam questions or case study detail or even understanding how something works and stuff but it depends if I done it or not, e.g. I barely did glacial landscapes at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending