The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dilzone
I'm getting mine from argos, it's pretty cheap (<£10). Can't remember the tog, think it's 13.5 or 15. I'm always cold though, there's only ever like four days in the year when i'm too warm for a thick duvet, so a 15 tog one sounds good.

But the argos one is good if you're on a tight budget!

haha im always cold too especially my feet so might go for a 15 :five: we never even get any summer so shudnt be too bad besides can always switch to a blanket :tongue:
thanks will check it out

Original post by _lynx_
I'm not going to question Beska's freaky knowledge, although if I had bought my duvet myself, I would have done some extensive research too... just not BSc Tog indepth like him :tongue:

If it helps, I'm taking a 13.5 tog hollow fibre - the cheaper option :biggrin: It's lightweight and in its present packaging, compact as well. My old duvet was quite strange in that it was comprised of two layers. Together, they have a 13.5 rating, but during the summer I can take one layer out. I don't bother though - I just go for the "one leg out" body cooling method :awesome:

loool yeh some brainbox he is :tongue: ermm yeh probably go for something similar to yours especially when u change duvet covers need it to be light... interesting duvet u have there :tongue:

Original post by Beska
:biggrin:

Go for 13.5 if you are always cold/want to snuggle. 10.5 is a little bit on the colder side, 13.5 is a good compromise imo. They do a 15 but that is like super super warm so might be a bit too hot in summer. Don't go for an all-seasons one because they are a massive faff (unless you really like making your bed, in which case go ahead!)

Hollow fibre etc. is what the the duvet is filled with. I wouldn't go for hollow fibre or whatever, go for a natural filling. Feathers and down are the same warmth, but feathers are heavier than down (in actual weight). Duck down/feathers are heavier than goose down/feathers. It's really just down to what you prefer. For example, a 13.5 tog duck feather will be much heavier than a 13.5 tog goose down but the same warmth.

If you like weight I'd go for duck down & feather (like, a combination). If you do go for just duck feathers, buy a slightly better quality duvet or you might find that the feathers stick through your duvet + duvet cover and prick into your body at night (annoying as hell). Same goes for pillows.

Hope that helps. :cool:

whoaaaa didnt know there was soo much to know about duvets :tongue:
yeh think im going for 15 seen as im always cold :biggrin: so goose filled duvets are lighter than duck ones nice where do u learn all this :tongue:
yeh i'll check it out we used to have some really heavy duvets years back so im guessing they were probably duck feathers one quite difficult to handle on ur own :erm:
might go with the other two and go for the hollow fibre but thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 2461
Original post by hawflo
I've been offered a place at Connaught Hall but I might be living in a flat with my brother. I don't know what to do because I wasn't expecting to be offered accommodation at all. Should I pay the deposit for now or should I reject the offer?

erm if you reject the offer you won't get anything else/be able to accept it after so if the thing with your brother doesn't work out then you're stuck. Plus if you accept the offer and pay the deposit, you have to take it and move in otherwise you'll lose the deposit (which is £500 for connaught!) and then you'd have to wait for someone else to want to move in before you can leave.

best thing to do is to sort out what's happening with your brother! there's only a week and a bit til uni starts so figure out what he's doing/if it's possible to find a flat that quickly etc. Connaught is is good, and you'll get the halls experience there as opposed to living with your brother. But i think the prices are a bit steep, like closer to £200 a week? it's up to you, personally i'd say unless your brother already has a flat lined up and everything is mostly sorted out, then go for the halls because it's really close to the start of term.

you have to accept within three days as well! but i think you can accept the offer online and then take a bit longer to pay the deposit.
Reply 2462
awesome! have you done the online induction?

yeah i've bought all my tickets already, can't wait :biggrin:
to those moving tomorrow the time is finally here :woo:
remember to study but party harder :wink: and i expect plenty of freshers stories soon once u've all recovered :tongue:
Original post by dmz
argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe, so ****ing awesome

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150443478019348

You should gatecrash. :tongue:
Reply 2465
:whistles:
Reply 2466
Original post by dmz

hmm? :confused:
Wow resurrection much :tongue:
Am I going to allow such a pathetic resurrection Delilah? :tongue:

Guess it would be nice to see how you other lot are doing if they're still on here :ninja:
I'm definitely still here!
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
I'm definitely still here!

Oh yeah, we were spamming the 2012 thread and I think I forgot to reply.... :ninja:
Original post by dmz

demi, you back man. :eek:
Reply 2472
haha, got back from leeds the other night...but yea how is everyone doing? Also I met mos :cool:
Original post by dmz
haha, got back from leeds the other night...but yea how is everyone doing? Also I met mos :cool:

Lucky thing, me, moisty and tikkitak still have another week to go before we can relax realise I haven't made any notes this past 3 weeks after FunMed and will need to catch up on that..

Doing good though..

Did she corrupt you with her sexual ways? :console:
Reply 2474
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Lucky thing, me, moisty and tikkitak still have another week to go before we can relax realise I haven't made any notes this past 3 weeks after FunMed and will need to catch up on that..

Doing good though..

Did she corrupt you with her sexual ways? :console:

I'm pretty much still living it up like it's freshers :awesome:, but yea this isn't really going to be a holiday is it? :frown:

She was even better for real :awesome:
Original post by dmz
I'm pretty much still living it up like it's freshers :awesome:, but yea this isn't really going to be a holiday is it? :frown:

She was even better for real :awesome:

Well you still are a fresher :colone:

Shall be a holiday... don't know about you but I'm looking forward to seeing all my old mates again so that should be awesome..

Also need to rebuild savings a bit if possible :erm:

You got much planned?

Did she corrupt you? :sexface:
Reply 2476
Hello good people, who's now a doctor and what kind?
Original post by dmz
Hello good people, who's now a doctor and what kind?

Of a final year not-yet-a-doctor variety

Latest

Trending

Trending