The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mohamed aden
My bad was so sleepy last night that i was nearly half drunk, so please overlook the "penguin" incident :colondollar: lol

Hmmm "which 1" are there more annoying people :biggrin:?
I meant THe user with the 2 p emblem has his display, who was spamming and spamming on here about some warfare crap and shut down the whole thread :angry:

Hey!! he's NOT annoying!! :mad2:

Original post by _lynx_
Oh that!! Yeah it was that I'd start lessons before you enrolled at the gym :tongue:

Hmm, you make a good point. I suppose my only option would be to pretend I want a permanent job :dontknow:

I've picked up that you're working as an interpreter :awesome: That must be so much more stimulating than your run-of-the-mill gap year job!

:facepalm2:

But won't that be cheating? :erm: Can they punish you if they found out you were lying? :teehee: If not then, yes do it :colone:

Yep :gah: it is a lot better. Less hours, much better pay... less annoying people, and certainly more respect :yep: but it's not a lot, that's the only problem :erm: so I still have a lot of time to kill :sigh: and get lazier day by day :facepalm:
Reply 141
so you were responsible :fuhrer:
Reply 142
I just want to cross-post this here and get your opinions:

Medical schools often miss some of the crop's cream.

Beska
No they don't.

So nobody gets rejected from medical schools who is good enough to succeed at medical school and as a doctor? Better tell them in the reapplicant thread

Beska
I am a reapplicant, you idiot. The truth of the matter is that I was rejected because my application was not good enough. Since I've got an offer this year, it means my application last year was not a true reflection of myself and thus I was rejected. This year my application reflected me better, and I got offers.

There is no such thing as "having the perfect application but getting rejected". If you were rejected, you were not good enough. Simple as. Nobody is "good enough for medicine but rejected" because they're not good enough if they're rejected.

Sometimes people get their application right the first time, others don't. That's the difference between a reapplicant and somebody that got in first time. We didn't get our first apps right.

In my opinion, I was rejected first time because my application was ****. I applied to the wrong universities, with a bad UKCAT. They were right to reject me - looking at my application now, I would have rejected me. I'm not bitter about it at all, I never, ever make comments like "I should have got in" or "I was better than people that got in" (the kind of things implictly implied by the chap above) because obviously I wasn't. I was never the "cream of the crop that was missed" or whatever. Just really irked me what this guy said. Just wanted to ask your opinions! :smile:
And sometimes not even the second :fyi:

:getmecoat:
Reply 144
:colonhash:

all in favour of kicking Ben of? I kid. True about application could be better, applied wrong places, didn't present myself as individual well enough etc, doesn't mean I'm not good enough tho, process is only rigorous cos of the vast amount of applicants and a lot of people will apply for the wrong reason but cos i can't present myself well enough doesn't mean I'm not good enough. But fairplay in the sense they can only go of what i present
Reply 145
Original post by dmz
all in favour of kicking Ben of? I kid. True about application could be better, applied wrong places, didn't present myself as individual well enough etc, doesn't mean I'm not good enough tho, process is only rigorous cos of the vast amount of applicants and a lot of people will apply for the wrong reason but cos i can't present myself well enough doesn't mean I'm not good enough. But fairplay in the sense they can only go of what i present

:frown:

Nah of course you're good enough - but my point is that the medical schools only know you're as good as your application, if you see what I mean? You could be amazing but apply wrong/etc./etc. and get rejected time after time without actually being reject-worthy. I mean, the first time I applied if I had applied to Newcastle I would have got an interview and if I had applied to Barts I would have (probably) got an offer. (They gave like 99% interview:redface:ffer ratio that year for some reason) It's hard to hear that... it made me really really angry at myself.

I've actually heard somebody say "my application was perfect but I still got rejected" and I wanted to punch them. :p:
Original post by Beska
:frown:

Nah of course you're good enough - but my point is that the medical schools only know you're as good as your application, if you see what I mean? You could be amazing but apply wrong/etc./etc. and get rejected time after time without actually being reject-worthy. I mean, the first time I applied if I had applied to Newcastle I would have got an interview and if I had applied to Barts I would have (probably) got an offer. (They gave like 99% interview:redface:ffer ratio that year for some reason) It's hard to hear that... it made me really really angry at myself.

I've actually heard somebody say "my application was perfect but I still got rejected" and I wanted to punch them. :p:

Brother beska, iz I good enough? :frown:
Reply 147
Original post by firestar101
Brother beska, iz I good enough? :frown:

If you didn't think you were good enough, you wouldn't be here reapplying. :wink:
Reply 148
**** sake. The new Notts shirt is HORRIBLE.

It has looked like this for the past, oh, 150 years:

Spoiler

How is the new kit ANYTHING like the kit they've played in for years?

Bloody "forward thinking" design crap.

*foams at the mouth*
Reply 149
Original post by futuredoc77

:facepalm2:

But won't that be cheating? :erm: Can they punish you if they found out you were lying? :teehee: If not then, yes do it :colone:

Yep :gah: it is a lot better. Less hours, much better pay... less annoying people, and certainly more respect :yep: but it's not a lot, that's the only problem :erm: so I still have a lot of time to kill :sigh: and get lazier day by day :facepalm:

:erm: I guess I'd breach the terms of the contract. No job it is then! :h:

...and you're not stuck in a room with no windows anymore!! :woo: I can envision you being whisked around everywhere by people who need urgent interpreting :tongue: So whereabouts does your work take you then?
Original post by Beska
Barts chaps - did that nice grad that we met afterwards in good sams firm? I know he got an offer, was just wondering where he picked?

Remember seeing him at post offer open day... try to remember :hmmmm:

Iirc he did firm it or was waiting for the GEP course to see if he got into BATL that way but he was intending on firming since he'd already found somewhere to live etc for next year...

Tbh can't really remember, remind me in september and I'll let you know if I see him :lol:

Oh wait! He's on TSR isn't he so if we can remember his username we could quote him here... think it had something to do with stars... :dontknow:

Original post by Beska
I just want to cross-post this here and get your opinions:

In my opinion, I was rejected first time because my application was ****. I applied to the wrong universities, with a bad UKCAT. They were right to reject me - looking at my application now, I would have rejected me. I'm not bitter about it at all, I never, ever make comments like "I should have got in" or "I was better than people that got in" (the kind of things implictly implied by the chap above) because obviously I wasn't. I was never the "cream of the crop that was missed" or whatever. Just really irked me what this guy said. Just wanted to ask your opinions! :smile:

Hmmm, I think that medical schools can sometimes miss the 'cream of the crop' but not often...
For example I think Keele this year haven't done very well with their applications process and will probably show that later on, but that's an anomaly.

The idea that medical schools often miss better applications is insulting to us with offers as it suggests other people deserve it more or that I'm not truly worthy of holding this offer. And from what you say about re-applicants, I feel safe in saying us lot this year are completely different from last year so the applications should not be linked at all :noway:

Of course, sometimes candidates that are 'worthy' or would do well at medical school and as a doctor will get missed.. there are only so many places available.. but the idea that they are often missed or that the process is flawed is ridiculous.. it's regulated by the GMC, so if the graduating doctor's were useless or there were problems then it would be noticed and would be rectified..

Just my opinion :h:
Original post by _lynx_
:erm: I guess I'd breach the terms of the contract. No job it is then! :h:

...and you're not stuck in a room with no windows anymore!! :woo: I can envision you being whisked around everywhere by people who need urgent interpreting :tongue: So whereabouts does your work take you then?

:teehee: That issue was easy to settle :mmm:

I know!! :party: The heat in there would be murderous now :afraid:

I know, it's pretty sweet to feel important and all :ninja: the clients look at you with hopeless eyes :puppyeyes: it feels great to help out really :h: if only I was kind enough to do it for free :K:

It varies... mostly the Immigration Advisory Service :teehee: (Don't be like Potiron and say "here's advice for them, go back." :colonhash:) but there are also the odd hospital appointments, home visits, prison (:nooo:), etc...

I haven't been to prison yet, but I'm looking forward to it :ninjagirl:

I know, it's pretty sweet to feel important and all :ninja: the clients look at you with hopeless eyes :puppyeyes: it feels great to help out really :h: if only I was kind enough to do it for free :K:

It varies... mostly the Immigration Advisory Service :teehee: (Don't be like Potiron and say "here's advice for them, go back." :colonhash:) but there are also the odd hospital appointments, home visits, prison (:nooo:), etc...

When you go to prison, futie. Remember not to drop the soap. Lol. :wink:
Reply 153

It seems like you left at just the right time! You must feel sorry for your annoying colleagues to some extent for being forced to slave away in that man-made oven (as opposed to natural ovens :colonhash:).

Wow, that sounds pretty exciting! Not having to work at the same location every day must be great. It seems like there's a fair bit of responsibility too.

Hmm, I'd be a bit apprehensive about prison visits.
I wouldn't want some guy jacking off towards me in plain sight thank
you very much. (Miami Mega Jail. There's some seriously disturbing people interviewed in that programme...)
Reply 154

:rofl:

:colonhash:

My sig applies to you right now :colonhash:
Original post by _lynx_
It seems like you left at just the right time! You must feel sorry for your annoying colleagues to some extent for being forced to slave away in that man-made oven (as opposed to natural ovens :colonhash:).

Wow, that sounds pretty exciting! Not having to work at the same location every day must be great. It seems like there's a fair bit of responsibility too.

Hmm, I'd be a bit apprehensive about prison visits.
I wouldn't want some guy jacking off towards me in plain sight thank
you very much. (Miami Mega Jail. There's some seriously disturbing people interviewed in that programme...)

Yep, pretty much :gah: and most of my ex-colleagues have quit too :teehee: The company is getting what it deserves it seems :colone:
Man-made oven :laugh: :rofl: sounds about right :colonhash:

I know! That's one of the great things about it. The only problem is the travelling-time which doesn't count :colonhash: and the distance is usually quite a lot... but I can live with that, at least it keeps me occupied during the day :dontknow:

You guys are scaring me now :afraid: I thought it wasn't that bad... at least I won't be alone, there will be other people around. But then again, I haven't been asked to go to one yet... which probably means they don't want to put me in that sort of situation :erm: who knows :dontknow:
But I wanna visit a prison yet, and be all smug about how I'm free to do things and they're not :ahee:

Reply 157
Yep, pretty much :gah: and most of my ex-colleagues have quit too :teehee: The company is getting what it deserves it seems :colone:
Man-made oven :laugh: :rofl: sounds about right :colonhash:

I know! That's one of the great things about it. The only problem is the travelling-time which doesn't count :colonhash: and the distance is usually quite a lot... but I can live with that, at least it keeps me occupied during the day :dontknow:

You guys are scaring me now :afraid: I thought it wasn't that bad... at least I won't be alone, there will be other people around. But then again, I haven't been asked to go to one yet... which probably means they don't want to put me in that sort of situation :erm: who knows :dontknow:
But I wanna visit a prison yet, and be all smug about how I'm free to do things and they're not :ahee:

Hello, how are you? I've booked some annual leave for July because I need a break from work.
Reply 158
Original post by dmz
it's just insulting knowing you possibly had better a level grades than the surgeon not to say anything's wrong with nurses but you know you can go further. Must be hard tho when family's not behind you but in the words of will smith. Parents just don't understand
not my usual type of music but it's will smith :tongue:

Aha, that song is so true. My parents are starting to piss me off a bit these days and so are a lot of people. I'm also dreading university and the future :frown:
Original post by hawflo
Hello, how are you? I've booked some annual leave for July because I need a break from work.

:hi:

That's great! When are you planning on quitting? :ninja:

Latest

Trending

Trending