The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

will be 60max for an A. 54 minimum.
Reply 101
Thought the multiple choice was pretty straight forward, and chose Context 1 about Exports.

Had a lot of time to write the final question and I was pretty pleased with it afterwards :smile:
I think I got 64/75. My teacher sent me Jan 2011 QP and MS, it was not easier than that, so the grade boundary should be similar... 53/75 for an A?
Original post by tallysingh
will be 60max for an A. 54 minimum.

could you read my post please :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by Jeebus42
For those who did it also, for the 12 mark question (07), can full marks be earned if the diagram (and subsquent explanation) invovled a rightward shift in AD due to increased prices of imports? I completely forgot about the obvious fact that higher import prices will shift SRAS to the left, but I do hope that shifting AD is sufficient enough.

I did the exact same thing. I would like to know this too.
Original post by Darth Log
I did the exact same thing. I would like to know this too.

I'd personally say no, because the AD that would now be within the economy, would be dampened by the cost-push price inflation due to firms paying higher material costs. And as we all know, higher prices - lower demand.

Ok reading that out doesn't sound that clear to me, so basically, no, because the firms prices will increase due to foreign material price increases, and they will pass this onto the consumer and ultimately the demand will reduce as the price has increased (from the cost-push)

That's just my 2 pence, I didn't do that question though! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 106
Anyone know the answers for the multi-choice?
Reply 107
What did you guys put as the determinants of exports? I put low exchange rate, improving price-competitiveness, and quality of the actual exports, linking it in with non-price competitiveness and supply side policies; I thought the 25 marker was pretty nice, I included how not necessarily an increase in exports will increase inflation too, with the implementation of the Keynesian model, and evaluated the multiplier sometimes it could be over estimated and pushing inflation more than desired. I hope I did well ;____;
Reply 108
Original post by James4821
but surely to show the importance of exports you need to show how they are increased and the pros and cons for evaluation?

I Don't think so i said that its important as its a injection in the circular flow of income so its important to increase export as this will increase national income causing AD to shift right due to a increase i consumer spending ect. Also an inprovement in the balance of payment and defined balance of payments and evaluated in. I also talked about x-m in AD, then evaluated saying its important to increase exports but the fact is that there are other more important things such as the effect of large import penetration and how you could solve both these by reducing the value of the pound. But i could be wrong must people seem to have done what you did. And as long as you relate it to the question you should get marks :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 109
Scitamehtam - Yes very similar to my answer, we both either on the same brilliant wavelength or we've both failed
Remember: exams are positively marked.

Alternative ways of answering question that are reasonable i.e pros and cons are fine.

It went good for me.
Original post by Campy1992
Hiya

Yeah i found the multiple choice quite tricky compared to previous years.

I chose the exports question also. Just wanted to know what else people put into the last question

I started with defining economic performance
went on to talk about how increase exports lead to economic growth, increasing AD blah blah, then saying if the economy reached full capacity, increasing exports would create inflationary pressue.
Talked about China having export-led growth.
Talked about trade off between economic growth and inflation and unemployment.
Went on to say how supply-side policies help improve the performance of the economy, by redcuing corporation tax, technological progress etc etc. Few diagrams there.
briefly covered the balance of payments deficit the UK had been faced with for some time, due to deindustrialisation and moving to the tertiary sextor. and how increasing exports could be beneficial to reduce the deficit.
Think that was all. Sorry thats a lot, Let me know what elso people put in the last part of the question (25marks)

Thanks

As near as a carbon copy to my essay!
Reply 112
Original post by hardleyouth
I'd personally say no, because the AD that would now be within the economy, would be dampened by the cost-push price inflation due to firms paying higher material costs. And as we all know, higher prices - lower demand.

Ok reading that out doesn't sound that clear to me, so basically, no, because the firms prices will increase due to foreign material price increases, and they will pass this onto the consumer and ultimately the demand will reduce as the price has increased (from the cost-push)

That's just my 2 pence, I didn't do that question though! :smile:

What about the balance of payments on the current account though? Higher import prices could have been caused by the exchange rate for the pound depreciating, meaning that exports will now seem relatively cheaper. So consumption of exports should rise and imports fall (as consumers are now disincentivised to buy the more expensive imports), resulting in (X-M) improving, causing AD to shift right???
What graph did everyone do for part (c) on Supply side policies? (what shift*)
Reply 114
Original post by Jack Dolan
What graph did everyone do for part (c) on Supply side policies? (what shift*)

I shifted in AS
Original post by Moiraclaire
could you read my post please :smile:

lol thats just yours and your teachers opinion. preety much everyone found it easy, hence the higher grade boundary.
Original post by Scitamehtam
I thought the multiple choice was good but wasn't overjoyed with the choice of data response. I wanted a monetary and fiscal policies questions but oh well. I did the exports one. What sort of things did you put for the 25 marks question? How many pages did you write for the 25 mark? :smile:

You could discuss fiscal and monetary in depth in the D of the supply side policy question lol...

Like with most D part you offer evaluation and hence other alternatives...
Original post by Jorgeyy
You could discuss fiscal and monetary in depth in the D of the supply side policy question lol...

Like with most D part you offer evaluation and hence other alternatives...

If you learnt Jan 2011 supply side part D, you would have aced this paper.

I didn't do that one because I revised BoP a lot!
Reply 118
hey, found the multi ok, what was the answer to insufficent demand question, i did export which was pretty easy if u know ur stuff
Reply 119
It was wonderful multipliable choice was good only 5 or 6 question required a lot of thought to be honest. Did the supply side policy 25 marker thought it went ok as i revised supply side policies like **** !!

Latest

Trending

Trending