The Student Room Group

Health and social care alevel- whats my overall

I am taking health and social care OCR Cambridge technicals level 3. I've completed three of my exams on units 2,3 and 4. And I've achieved a distinction on unit 2, pass on unit 3 and distinction on unit 4. Im still doing my coursework and have yet to complete that but i was wondering what would my overall score be? Suppose i got a distinction or a merit on my coursework/
Original post by kirtip1
I am taking health and social care OCR Cambridge technicals level 3. I've completed three of my exams on units 2,3 and 4. And I've achieved a distinction on unit 2, pass on unit 3 and distinction on unit 4. Im still doing my coursework and have yet to complete that but i was wondering what would my overall score be? Suppose i got a distinction or a merit on my coursework/

The OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technicals in Health and Social Care come in several "sizes" (e.g. Certificate, Extended Certificate, Foundation Diploma, etc.). As the subject of this thread is "Health and social care alevel- whats my overall", I'm going to assume you're doing the Extended Certificate, as that's the same size (in terms of "guided learning hours", GLH) as a single A level. Let me know if this assumption is wrong.

To work out your overall points, we simply need to sum the points your each unit (based upon its size, in GLH, and grade) using the table below:

OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technicals in Health and Social Care - Points Table.PNG

We can get the size of each unit from page 22 of relevant centre handbook, here:

Unit 2 is 60 GLH. You achieved a Distinction. 18 points.
Unit 3 is 60 GLH. You achieved a Pass. 14 points.
Unit 4 is 90 GLH. You achieved a Distinction. 27 points.

So, from the externally assessed units (i.e. those with exams), you have 18+14+27 = 59 points

This course also contains a mandatory internally assessed unit (Unit 1, 60 GLH) and a series of other optional internally assessed units which total 90 GLH between them. If we assume you achieved a Merit in these, you'd have 16+24=40 points. If we assume you achieved a Distinction in these, you'd have 18+27=45 points.

So, combining the externally assessed and internally assessed units, for a Merit in your coursework you'd have 59+40=99 points and for a Distinction in your Coursework you'd have 59+45=104 points.

We then lookup those points in the Qualification Grade Table, to get your overall grade:

OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technicals in Health and Social Care - Qualification Grade Table.PNG

As you can see, 99 would be a Merit and 104 would be a Distinction*. That's quite a difference! Perhaps we can split the difference and call this a Distinction, until you establish your coursework grades?

(Edited to re-attach the images, which appeared to go AWOL.)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technicals in Health and Social Care come in several "sizes" (e.g. Certificate, Extended Certificate, Foundation Diploma, etc.). As the subject of this thread is "Health and social care alevel- whats my overall", I'm going to assume you're doing the Extended Certificate, as that's the same size (in terms of "guided learning hours", GLH) as a single A level. Let me know if this assumption is wrong.

To work out your overall points, we simply need to sum the points your each unit (based upon its size, in GLH, and grade) using the table below:

OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technicals in Health and Social Care - Points Table.PNG

We can get the size of each unit from page 22 of relevant centre handbook, here:

Unit 2 is 60 GLH. You achieved a Distinction. 18 points.
Unit 3 is 60 GLH. You achieved a Pass. 14 points.
Unit 4 is 90 GLH. You achieved a Distinction. 27 points.

So, from the externally assessed units (i.e. those with exams), you have 18+14+27 = 59 points

This course also contains a mandatory internally assessed unit (Unit 1, 60 GLH) and a series of other optional internally assessed units which total 90 GLH between them. If we assume you achieved a Merit in these, you'd have 16+24=40 points. If we assume you achieved a Distinction in these, you'd have 18+27=45 points.

So, combining the externally assessed and internally assessed units, for a Merit in your coursework you'd have 59+40=99 points and for a Distinction in your Coursework you'd have 59+45=104 points.

We then lookup those points in the Qualification Grade Table, to get your overall grade:

OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technicals in Health and Social Care - Qualification Grade Table.PNG

As you can see, 99 would be a Merit and 104 would be a Distinction*. That's quite a difference! Perhaps we can split the difference and call this a Distinction, until you establish your coursework grades?

(Edited to re-attach the images, which appeared to go AWOL.)

Thank you so much for you help and research.
Original post by kirtip1

it’s all merits in exams apart from 2 distinctions including anatomy and all distinctions in course work for a D D**

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending