The Student Room Group

AQA B PSYB2 7th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anyone think Levels Of Processing Approach/Types of LTM is likely to come up for the memory 10 marker?
Reply 61
Original post by AlesanaWill
I found that to be some of the easier stuff to learn, weird! If you want to discuss it over PM feel free. :smile:

I don't know what was on the 2010 June paper (going to do that later today) but I'm sort of expecting to get something on Social Facilitation, as that hasn't seemed to come up for a while. Which sucks, because that's the area of Social Influence I know the least well.

Possibly comparing two theories of forgetting for the Cognitive section, and hopefully something on phobias for the anxiety disorders section.

Even if they did give us the social facilitation essay it would probably be "describe and discuss the causes of arousal" or something like that (so that we can talk about arousal theory, eval-apprehension and distraction-conflict), i think social facilitation is bit too specific, don't you? :curious:
Reply 62
Original post by MyselfEtAl
Anyone think Levels Of Processing Approach/Types of LTM is likely to come up for the memory 10 marker?

yes, was just going over that as its the only essay that hasn't come up yet for memory

edit: levels of processing i mean , i dont think there is enough info in the spec for a 10 maker on types of ltm ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by kishan777
yes, was just going over that as its the only essay that hasn't come up yet for memory

edit: levels of processing i mean , i dont think there is enough info in the spec for a 10 maker on types of ltm ?

yeah there is, 5 marks - describing the stores.
ao2: real life example, 3 studies: dr S, tulving and HM.
= 9/10

I don't get what it means by "circular argument" for Levels of processing? :s-smilie:
Reply 64
yeah there is, 5 marks - describing the stores.
ao2: real life example, 3 studies: dr S, tulving and HM.
= 9/10

I don't get what it means by "circular argument" for Levels of processing? :s-smilie:

guess your right ,, btw do we get ao2 marks for real life examples on all the essays ?

also, first i have heard about the circular argument :s-smilie: .. are you using the nelson thornes book?
Reply 65
ao2 marks are:

2 marks MAX for quoting studies (you can only get these marks once)
1 mark for a real life example. (again, you can only get this mark once)
1 mark for contrasting points (you can give as many as you like here)
1 mark for RELATING the evaluation of a study to the theory (i.e. you can't say "it lacks ecological validity" you have to elaborate).

tbh, you could just get the ao2 marks simply by contrasting. and yeah, nelson thornes, page 175.
Reply 66
ao2 marks are:

2 marks MAX for quoting studies (you can only get these marks once)
1 mark for a real life example. (again, you can only get this mark once)
1 mark for contrasting points (you can give as many as you like here)
1 mark for RELATING the evaluation of a study to the theory (i.e. you can't say "it lacks ecological validity" you have to elaborate).

tbh, you could just get the ao2 marks simply by contrasting. and yeah, nelson thornes, page 175.

ah i see , thanks. and yeh i guess you could just get a02 points by contrasting , im guessing its best to try learn a study for everything because if the question ask you to refer to evidence and you don't, you can only score a certain amount of marks?

and your right the circular thing is confusing , would we not get the mark if we just said there is no adequate measure of depth, as its different for certain individuals ?
Reply 67
ah i see , thanks. and yeh i guess you could just get a02 points by contrasting , im guessing its best to try learn a study for everything because if the question ask you to refer to evidence and you don't, you can only score a certain amount of marks?

and your right the circular thing is confusing , would we not get the mark if we just said there is no adequate measure of depth, as its different for certain individuals ?

what dyou mean for "certain individuals"?
and yeah, you can only get 6 marks max if it asks you to refer to evidence and you don't. also, make sure you know the evaluation points for studies because they like giving "evaluate one study on...(3 marks)" question. i hate that -,-
Reply 68
what dyou mean for "certain individuals"?
and yeah, you can only get 6 marks max if it asks you to refer to evidence and you don't. also, make sure you know the evaluation points for studies because they like giving "evaluate one study on...(3 marks)" question. i hate that -,-

im not really sure what its trying to say , i just interpreted it as , becuase level of depth is not really measurable , deep processing for one person might not neccarayly be deep processing for another :tongue:.
and yeh thanks for the tip , i will go over the studies again later on.
Reply 69
im not really sure what its trying to say , i just interpreted it as , becuase level of depth is not really measurable , deep processing for one person might not neccarayly be deep processing for another :tongue:.
and yeh thanks for the tip , i will go over the studies again later on.

lol idk but that seems worthy of a mark :tongue:
i desperately need to go over research methods, i dont even know what "matched pairs design" is! :s
Reply 70
lol idk but that seems worthy of a mark :tongue:
i desperately need to go over research methods, i dont even know what "matched pairs design" is! :s

fortunately i still remember allot of research methods as i sat psyb1 recently, have you learnt many studies for anxiety disorders as I hardly have any.
Reply 71
fortunately i still remember allot of research methods as i sat psyb1 recently, have you learnt many studies for anxiety disorders as I hardly have any.

i dont learn 1 study for each explanation, just the evidence really.

phobias:
biological - mineka and cook (the monkeys) fyer et al (high concordance for agrophobia)
psychodynamic: little hans/abraham - unconscious fear of spiders.
behaviourist: little albert/ dog phobics (60% remember traumatic event, 40% dont)
cognitive: grazio & mooney (the CBT treatment for kids scared of the dark)

OCD:
biological: comings and comings (people who have OCD are more likely to have a first degree relative suffering from an axiety disorder)
psychodynamic: ratman
behaviourist: superstitious sports stars (o'leary and wilson), rachman and hodgson (stopping them from doing their compulsions)
cognitive: (idk about this one?..):s-smilie:
Reply 72

Types of ltm is unlikely but theories of forgetting came up in jan & last year June I think - so most likely will he straight forward model proposed!

& 10marker for social influence either obedience or facilitation I'm guessing! & anxiety disorders theve asked for treatments - so most likely OCD or phobia could be psychodynamic :/

Hope it's not biological!
Reply 73
Original post by Sadii
Types of ltm is unlikely but theories of forgetting came up in jan & last year June I think - so most likely will he straight forward model proposed!

& 10marker for social influence either obedience or facilitation I'm guessing! & anxiety disorders theve asked for treatments - so most likely OCD or phobia could be psychodynamic :/

Hope it's not biological!

i LOVE biological! psychodynamic isnt that bad, i just get mixed up between the phobias and ocd explanations :s-smilie:
Reply 74
i dont learn 1 study for each explanation, just the evidence really.

phobias:
biological - mineka and cook (the monkeys) fyer et al (high concordance for agrophobia)
psychodynamic: little hans/abraham - unconscious fear of spiders.
behaviourist: little albert/ dog phobics (60% remember traumatic event, 40% dont)
cognitive: grazio & mooney (the CBT treatment for kids scared of the dark)

OCD:
biological: comings and comings (people who have OCD are more likely to have a first degree relative suffering from an axiety disorder)
psychodynamic: ratman
behaviourist: superstitious sports stars (o'leary and wilson), rachman and hodgson (stopping them from doing their compulsions)
cognitive: (idk about this one?..):s-smilie:

ive pretty much got the same , are you planning on revising all night ?
Reply 75
ive pretty much got the same , are you planning on revising all night ?

no, im gonna sleep at around 1.30ish. you?
Reply 76
no, im gonna sleep at around 1.30ish. you?

going sleep at 3 then will start again at around 6 or 7. btw i just looked at some of the candiate exampler work on the aqa site and some essays with are about 100-200 words have been given 8/9 out of 10 , if this is all thats requires why do they give us 3 pages :s-smilie:
Reply 77
going sleep at 3 then will start again at around 6 or 7. btw i just looked at some of the candiate exampler work on the aqa site and some essays with are about 100-200 words have been given 8/9 out of 10 , if this is all thats requires why do they give us 3 pages :s-smilie:

mate, you DO realise that you're only getting like, 3 hours of sleep if you do that, right? Do you WANT to be sleeping in your exam? lol
And about the 3 pages, i have pretty big, messy handwriting, so im thankful that i get 3 pages! :biggrin: i think as long as you write about 1.5 pages it should be fine.
Reply 78

i LOVE biological! psychodynamic isnt that bad, i just get mixed up between the phobias and ocd explanations :s-smilie:

haha.. its just long and excessive and psychodynamic for ocd u got2 mention how the id feels obsessive & disturbing thoughts.. superego feels guilty for having them and conscience kicks in ... then phobia have displacement as a defence mechanism whereas OCD has reaction formation, undoing and isolation! :smile: For OCD only 2 possible studies too - freud ratman & hodgson & rachman with the hand washing ritual!

Arghh' Glad its in afternoon :smile: .. Good luck
Reply 79

dont worry im doing exam again to improve my grade - its not quantity its quality i got 10 marks in some essays by writing a page and half .. you need half a page summarising the study ... half a page to include evidence and positives and half a page on negatives and in that make sure you include comparison of different approach/model :smile: & damn' get some sleep! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending