The Student Room Group

Economics Degree Abroad

Ok,

I'm currently in Year 12 and hoping to study Economics at University. Currently in the process of finishing my personal statement for UCAS for applications to UK institutions but the thought of studying abroad excites me.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone could provide information on the process of applying outside of the UK?

What institutions would be good for Economics? I am looking at applying to Oxford and LSE in the UK. America or Japan would be awesome! >.<

Thanks,

Jorge x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty sure you need to take the SAT's for the American uni's.

The top UK universities for Economics:
1) Cambridge, LSE
2) UCL, Warwick
=============
3) Bath, Bristol, Durham

Oxford doesn't do Economics. It does Economics and Management.
Original post by Jorgeyy
...Japan would be awesome! >.<

I'm reasonably confident that it would not be.
Reply 3
I understand Oxford offers Economics and Management; that is what I would apply for.

I am still considering if I want to do pure Economics at other unis, I may want to combine another discipline.

I have researched a lot about UK universities, this thread is purely to understand the application process for abroad, thanks.

And yeah, I just like Japan, I think i'd aim to do some sort of work experience over there for a year after my degree, maybe pick up some language skills while i'm out there.

I understand the USA and UK are generally the best.
Original post by Jorgeyy

And yeah, I just like Japan, I think i'd aim to do some sort of work experience over there for a year after my degree, maybe pick up some language skills while i'm out there.

In that case, you'd be best served in picking up a mombusho/mongakusho scholarship to do a masters degree.

http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj0302e.html

I know more than is decent about universities in Japan and can assure you that the undergraduate education you would get there wouldn't be comparable to that you'd get in the UK, never mind at the LSE. The compensation would be that you could bang the granny out of a lot of Japanese girls but you could do the same (switched for nationality) while at HKU or NUS and get a good education at the same time.
Reply 5
Original post by Jorgeyy
I understand Oxford offers Economics and Management; that is what I would apply for.

I am still considering if I want to do pure Economics at other unis, I may want to combine another discipline.

I have researched a lot about UK universities, this thread is purely to understand the application process for abroad, thanks.

I understand the USA and UK are generally the best.

If you do apply for E&M at Oxford and straight Economics at other uni's, make sure that you don't mention Management at all in your personal statement. Unless you've got stellar academics that would be an automatic rejection from the likes of LSE/UCL/Warwick. Oxford recognises this situation and therefore it expects most applicants to have PS's just on Economics.
Reply 6
Thanks for the tip mate but I pretty much know everything about UCAS and how to apply effectively like you said,

I am really looking for information with regards to applying for Economics at universities in America and how best to go about it, thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by Jorgeyy
Thanks for the tip mate but I pretty much know everything about UCAS and how to apply effectively like you said,

I am really looking for information with regards to applying for Economics at universities in America and how best to go about it, thanks.

Okay, what are your grades like? That would give posters an indication of which American universities you should be aiming at.

Also, my "irrelevant" posts just keep this thread on the front page so it actually is helping you out :tongue:
Reply 8
Well I got 99/100 Econ1, 91/100 Core1 Math, 86/100 Biol1 in January

Looking at the grade boundaries for Core2 and Stats1 I think I have secured a 90 average in Math at least.

It's also very unlikely I achieved less than a C in Econ2 which means I will be taking through A's in those.

I would like to think I would achieve an A in Biology overall too, I believe I performed well in my "EMPA" and put a lot of work in revision wise for Biol2 since it was my lowest Jan score.

My fourth AS subject is ICT, which I have achieved A's in the courseworks and the spreadsheet exam was pretty easy.

Of course, I will be taking through Math, Econ and Biol next year.

I am also going to be taking Further Maths AS level next year :smile:
Sensibly, can you afford to go to university in the US? At postgraduate level there is need-blind support for international students but this is rare enough at the undergrad level and will much more usually go to the Chinese kids from the IMO.

From wikipedia:

U.S. institutions that are need-blind and full-need for all applicants

There are currently only six U.S. higher learning institutions—five universities and one liberal arts college—which are both need-blind and full-need for all applicants, including international students.[1] These are:

Amherst College[2]
Dartmouth College [3]
Harvard University
MIT
Princeton University[4]
Yale University

Your grades sound very creditable, but these are hella fancy schools. Got $200,000 to spare?

Edited to add: that's for tuition fees alone...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
A 4 year undergrad degree would be over £100,000 in tuition fees?

Damn.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jorgeyy
A 4 year undergrad degree would be over £100,000 in tuition fees?

Damn.

It will depend on where you go, but they don't hide their prices: have a look at the websites for the universities you fancy and refer both to costs and to financial aid (that second with particular reference to overseas students). It isn't going to be cheap, is a certainty. Grad school is a different business - if you're good, they'll pay you to go.
Reply 12
Original post by cambio wechsel
It will depend on where you go, but they don't hide their prices: have a look at the websites for the universities you fancy and refer both to costs and to financial aid (that second with particular reference to overseas students). It isn't going to be cheap, is a certainty. Grad school is a different business - if you're good, they'll pay you to go.

Will financial aid exist in the form of loans for most institutions? I don't mind the extra cost since it is relative to what the degree can provide in terms of employment.

I will check out some of their websites now, thanks for all the input I really appreciate your time and effort !
Check the netherlands.Obviously they aren't rated as highly as the likes of LSE and Oxford but the student experience is great and you can study economics.
Original post by Jorgeyy
I don't mind the extra cost since it is relative to what the degree can provide in terms of employment.!

Don't overestimate this. There is precisely no way you'll get a green card for a first job, such that you'll have to come back to the UK/EU to find work in the first instance. Even if you got your AB from Harvard, this pretty well strictly implies that you might otherwise have gone to, say, the LSE. Does the one make you very much more employable in the UK context than the other? How long will it take you to pay off the difference in costs? (And remember that the UK degree gives you a one year head-start in earnings.)
Reply 15
If you're prepared to dish out $30,000 a year, the US might well be the place for you. If not, stick to the UK.
Reply 16
Don't overestimate this. There is precisely no way you'll get a green card for a first job, such that you'll have to come back to the UK/EU to find work in the first instance. Even if you got your AB from Harvard, this pretty well strictly implies that you might otherwise have gone to, say, the LSE. Does the one make you very much more employable in the UK context than the other? How long will it take you to pay off the difference in costs? (And remember that the UK degree gives you a one year head-start in earnings.)

If I received an offer from both, i'd probably go for LSE/Oxford.

I'm just thinking of widening my options since i'm not naive in thinking i'm guaranteed an offer from Oxford/LSE even with AAAA and predicted A*A*A* or whatever.

It seems that a lot of institutions, even with student loans, would require $10,000's per year of one's own input. With a 4 year degree, I don't even know if I can stretch to this :/

I'll have to research, and see if any can provide loans that cover the cost, just as another option for application :smile:

Maybe I can apply for scholarships too, it does no harm to my UK applications.
Original post by Jorgeyy

Maybe I can apply for scholarships too, it does no harm to my UK applications.

It absolutely does not and I admire your taking a wider view of it than many do. The fella up-thread is right as well: take a look at continental Europe, which will be cheaper than the UK and will offer a language thrown in.
Reply 18
It absolutely does not and I admire your taking a wider view of it than many do. The fella up-thread is right as well: take a look at continental Europe, which will be cheaper than the UK and will offer a language thrown in.

Ok, would you suggest anywhere in Europe in particular?

Also, for America do you know if I apply to colleges as an individual or is there something similar to UCAS in the US?
Reply 19
Original post by Theconomist
Check the netherlands.Obviously they aren't rated as highly as the likes of LSE and Oxford but the student experience is great and you can study economics.

Hey man thanks for your input !

I accidently missed your post hence the late rely...

I am going to check some out now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending