The Student Room Group

Latin A2 AHHHHH

Scroll to see replies

Just done a load of mock papers, and I honestly couldn't feel worse about the Ovid translation. I've revised so much vocabulary and yet when it comes to translating it there's still far too much that I don't know, without even having the grammar issues. Think I'm going to have to wave goodbye to my firm offer to be honest.
Reply 21
Original post by Mouse Potato
Just done a load of mock papers, and I honestly couldn't feel worse about the Ovid translation. I've revised so much vocabulary and yet when it comes to translating it there's still far too much that I don't know, without even having the grammar issues. Think I'm going to have to wave goodbye to my firm offer to be honest.

It's ridiculous isn't it! You have to be pretty smart anyway to do Latin, but it's so difficult even the smartest of people can easily end up with a B and not get into the uni they want whereas someone with three 'easier' A*s does. I just hate how inconsistent it is :frown:
Reply 22

I'm in entirely the same boat (except I've got 4 subjects for my offer so if I do terribly in Latin it's not the end of the world) as regards to how difficult I'm finding this. Even revising loads of grammar and vocab, I still find there are far too many words I don't know in the unseen and it's horrific. :frown: Just going to make sure I know the AS list back to front and see how many extra words I can pick up between now and tommorow...
So glad I'm dropping Latin after AS. A2 sounds horrible.
I am so glad to hear that everyone else is finding this difficult! It seems so damn unfair that an A in this is equal to an A in any other subject...! To whomever said they read the examiner's report, I also had the feeling that it said that many, many people find this paper a bitch, in no kind terms. I'm sitting this subject on my own at my school so I have no one to compare against, always a bit worrying to know how I'm getting on
Good luck to you all!
Original post by worriedapplicant1
I am so glad to hear that everyone else is finding this difficult! It seems so damn unfair that an A in this is equal to an A in any other subject...! To whomever said they read the examiner's report, I also had the feeling that it said that many, many people find this paper a bitch, in no kind terms. I'm sitting this subject on my own at my school so I have no one to compare against, always a bit worrying to know how I'm getting on
Good luck to you all!

If it helps, I study it at a grammar school. Most people in my class who are going to get straight As with minimal effort in their other subjects, find this a total b!tch of a paper... and that report was partially reassuring, partially really terrifying.

To whoever said they were going to give it up after AS, don't speak too soon, that was my plan but here I am now... I took Art A level which really wasn't for me, and LAtin is such fun to study, really it is, it's just that this paper is horrible.

Calmed down a bit now. Hopefully the grade boundaries are no higher than last year. That way I think I may just be able to manage it by getting high marks on the Vergil and scraping as many as possible on the Ovid.
Reply 26
Original post by worriedapplicant1
I am so glad to hear that everyone else is finding this difficult! I'm sitting this subject on my own at my school

Yep, I'm sitting this on my own too, more or less terrified about the exam...best of luck to everyone and remember Romani ite domum NOT Romanes eunt domus :wink:
If it helps, I study it at a grammar school. Most people in my class who are going to get straight As with minimal effort in their other subjects, find this a total b!tch of a paper... and that report was partially reassuring, partially really terrifying.

To whoever said they were going to give it up after AS, don't speak too soon, that was my plan but here I am now... I took Art A level which really wasn't for me, and LAtin is such fun to study, really it is, it's just that this paper is horrible.

Calmed down a bit now. Hopefully the grade boundaries are no higher than last year. That way I think I may just be able to manage it by getting high marks on the Vergil and scraping as many as possible on the Ovid.

It does feel a bit like that, As hardly seem unachievable in my other subjects, this one's going to be some effort, however!
Too true about the report!
I agree that it's quite good fun to study, certainly interesting, would be nice if unis or ocr could appreciate the difficulty of the subject; it makes a 3 As offer that bit harder...
Reply 28
Original post by AmroTT
I'd treat the 'oi' in 'Troi' as a diphthong so 2? I doubt anything that ambiguous would come up in an Ovid unseen though, they tend to make scansion fairly straightforward. Shame they can't do the same for the rest!

Our teacher gave us a brilliant one that asked us to consider how good a mother Venus is to Aeneas. When you think that one through, it'd be a gift :smile: Also, ones about Aeneas' ability as a leader of men (which I assume will come up at some point during the text's lifetime on the syllabus, so half-and-half we'll see a question on it) are good to have pre-planned I think :smile:

Aha thanks! I thought it might be :smile: . Haha, exactly! Ovid is a total nightmare. The problem is, it really could mean anything! If you don't know a bit of vocab/understand the context, it is very easy to misinterpret the whole thing...:s-smilie: I am very worried! The Venus question wouldn't be bad! I just hope it's not a hideous question involving fate :eek: It's a shame the Aeneas question came up last year...

Latin really is a lot more work than other subjects...especially if you leave learning the set texts late :frown:

Good luck everyone! I hope the Ovid is do-able- maybe it'll be a recognisable story so i don't mistake reading for foraging again...:rolleyes:(legere)
Reply 29
oh also, which report is this? and i'm also wondering about this 'clash of ictus'- how do you recognise it?
Reply 30
Original post by Salvius
oh also, which report is this? and i'm also wondering about this 'clash of ictus'- how do you recognise it?

I googled it, it's when the point of emphasis in the way a word is said is not the same as the emphasis in the metre (or something like that)

i.e. praerupta aqae mons - this is an example of clash of ictus because usually the last word would be two syllables.

It seems to be really extremely difficult to recognise and I am just regurgitating information without understanding but there might be someone else out there who understands and can explain it better than me, if so please do!!!
Reply 31
Original post by philly.tidd
I googled it, it's when the point of emphasis in the way a word is said is not the same as the emphasis in the metre (or something like that)

i.e. praerupta aqae mons - this is an example of clash of ictus because usually the last word would be two syllables.

It seems to be really extremely difficult to recognise and I am just regurgitating information without understanding but there might be someone else out there who understands and can explain it better than me, if so please do!!!

Thanks, though i have to say, i would never recognise this! Especially as i am not too sure how to go about finding the point of emphasis in the way a word is said...:confused:
Reply 32
nope neither would I :/ but I don't think it really is that important, just extra points
I've been working out the figures, and I think that, providing it's not a god awful passage tomorrow, I might just be okay, as I'm counting on scoring quite highly in literature.
Reply 34
Can we answer the questions in a different order on the paper? For example starting with the Ovid translation and then doing the literature? Just double checking. :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Xenia.
Can we answer the questions in a different order on the paper? For example starting with the Ovid translation and then doing the literature? Just double checking. :smile:

Thanks!

Yes, there was a comment about people doing that in the exam report so it's definitely okay =)
Reply 36
That's what I'm panning on doing anyway.
I did the Virgil first last year and was pushed for time for the ovid translation.
Reply 37
do we know what chances there are of the Ovid being from Amores? Because I think Amores are easier than a lot of his other stuff :/
Reply 38
Interesting idea to do the Ovid first...out of curiosity, how long do you all plan to spend on virgil vs ovid?
Reply 39
I am so freaking scared about this Ovid arrrrrrrghhhh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending