The Student Room Group

Does GCSE Latin help?

Keep in mind I'm in y8 right now. So I've been given the choice between Latin and Classics for next year and then I will have to choose my GCSE subjects. I've already done Latin for two years, and haven't really enjoyed it that much, I guess if I decided to motivate myself, I could do good but I don't like it very much. This is why I chose classics for the next year and haven't chosen my GCSEs yet but am now second guessing because Latin is apparently good for other subjects GCSEs like learning science terms, or with English (classics should do the same unless there's anything I haven't considered), or with Spanish (I'm willing to put in a lot of effort into this one), or maths and other logical subjects. I chose classics because it is English based (reading classical texts and then writing essays which I enjoy), but it's only going to be for nine months and isn't a GCSE I can take at my school. This contrasts with my not really liking Latin despite taking it for 2 years. I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to change now, but I think if I really tried they'd let me, there's still a half term left before y9. By the way, my GCSE choices that I already know I'm taking are Spanish as a necessary MFL and Computer Science because it's my favourite subject. So is Latin really that amazing for other GCSEs and will I be disadvantaged against my classmates who are taking Latin or if I study hard, I'll be fine? I'm aiming to go to top universities like Oxford or Cambridge. If anyone has any other advice for me, I'd love to hear it.

Scroll to see replies

What are you wanting to study at uni?
If you're wanting to do Classics or Latin then yes, it would be beneficial. If you're wanting to do anything else (including Classical Civilisation or Classical Studies) then you really don't need Latin.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
What are you wanting to study at uni?
If you're wanting to do Classics or Latin then yes, it would be beneficial. If you're wanting to do anything else (including Classical Civilisation or Classical Studies) then you really don't need Latin.

law, medicine, probably something math/science related.
if anyone did take latin, did they find it to be helpful with spanish or the sciences in any way?
Reply 4
Original post by FlyingSquirrel10
if anyone did take latin, did they find it to be helpful with spanish or the sciences in any way?

i take latin at GCSE and im currently sitting GCSE exams. I take it along with German which has been quite helpful as there share pretty much the same grammatical rules and techniques , however im not really too sure whether this would be similar with Spanish , but i do presume it would be . At gcse level, i would say that Latin is not really much of an advantage in learning the scientific terms, because most of it in the GCSE specification is just simple english. If u were to do Law or a science related course at uni it would most definitely be advantageous.

Not necessary then

I did Spanish, French, and Italian GCSEs, I did French and Spanish A Levels, and I have a Cert HE in French / TESOL...

Only now, at the ripe old age of 39, have I recently studied any Latin (a 60 credit module that I'm coming to the end of, as part of Level 2 in my uni degree in Classical Studies that I'm doing as a mature student). I can assure you it would have made no difference to my Spanish at all if I'd studied the Latin any earlier.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by ab1iiii
If u were to do Law or a science related course at uni it would most definitely be advantageous.

I don't agree really.
When you study GCSE Latin, you're not learning scientific words for things, you're learning more along the lines of "Alexander fought well in the battle", or "The army killed many men", or "Augustus was a powerful leader".
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I don't agree really.
When you study GCSE Latin, you're not learning scientific words for things, you're learning more along the lines of "Alexander fought well in the battle", or "The army killed many men", or "Augustus was a powerful leader".

that is somewhat true, however vocab from the GCSE latin vocab list is quite broad, so there would certainly be some advantage in translating the words on spot when coming across a latin derivative or borrowed phrase ,if you get what i mean?this is especially applicable to Law, i think.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by ab1iiii
i take latin at GCSE and im currently sitting GCSE exams. I take it along with German which has been quite helpful as there share pretty much the same grammatical rules and techniques , however im not really too sure whether this would be similar with Spanish , but i do presume it would be . At gcse level, i would say that Latin is not really much of an advantage in learning the scientific terms, because most of it in the GCSE specification is just simple english. If u were to do Law or a science related course at uni it would most definitely be advantageous.

what if i decided not to? would that disadvantage me at gcses or a levels? the problem with latin is that i honestly don’t enjoy it as a subject and don’t really want to take it for gcses.
Reply 9
what if i decided not to? would that disadvantage me at gcses or a levels? the problem with latin is that i honestly don’t enjoy it as a subject and don’t really want to take it for gcses.

no , it definitely wouldnt be a problem. dont take a subject you dont enjoy. may i ask, do you know what you're taking at a level?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by ab1iiii
no , it definitely wouldnt be a problem. dont take a subject you dont enjoy. may i ask, do you know what you're taking at a level?

for a levels i’m not really sure, but probably a mixture of sciences, math-related subjects like economics and psychology. basically to set me up for multiple professions like law, medicine, so on. i enjoy writing but i don’t think it’s something i want to study, just do on the side.
did you take latin because you enjoyed it? do you feel like if you hadn’t you would have not been able to progress so well in german even if you worked really hard? because i’m willing to work extremely hard on spanish, it’s my favourite subject, i just hope my not taking latin doesn’t disadvantage me.

Not directly relevant to any of those then and won't be a factor in admissions. But if you enjoy it and are confident you can do well in it, no reason to not take it.

But don't take it just because you think it'll somehow make your application stronger, because it won't be a factor at all.
Reply 12
It'd help if you wanted to later pick up Sanskrit but that's about it. Not especially useful for any of your listed options.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Not directly relevant to any of those then and won't be a factor in admissions. But if you enjoy it and are confident you can do well in it, no reason to not take it.

But don't take it just because you think it'll somehow make your application stronger, because it won't be a factor at all.

i think i could do well, but i don’t enjoy it, and don’t really want to spend so much time on something I don’t like or find useful and maybe lower my other grades
i think i could do well, but i don’t enjoy it, and don’t really want to spend so much time on something I don’t like or find useful and maybe lower my other grades

Pick something else in that case. Latin is not easy and if you don't actually have a genuine motivation for it you will likely struggle and also hate the experience.

Universities don't care what your GCSE subject choices are - what they care about at GCSE are a) grades in specific national curriculum subjects (normally maths/English language, but sometimes science etoo) and/or b) your overall grade profile. Whether you took X or Y subject at GCSE is immaterial.
Original post by artful_lounger
Pick something else in that case. Latin is not easy and if you don't actually have a genuine motivation for it you will likely struggle and also hate the experience.

Universities don't care what your GCSE subject choices are - what they care about at GCSE are a) grades in specific national curriculum subjects (normally maths/English language, but sometimes science etoo) and/or b) your overall grade profile. Whether you took X or Y subject at GCSE is immaterial.

and latin isnt going to do much for my other subjects either, except perhaps Spanish, but I think I can do good if I work hard, I don't have to learn latin, so I'm not going to take it. thanks!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 16

I wouldn't do it then. Keep in mind that only half of Latin GCSE is language and the other is literature - which is just memorising translations and style points so if you don't like the language part I think you would more than hate the literature.
Original post by alexiia
I wouldn't do it then. Keep in mind that only half of Latin GCSE is language and the other is literature - which is just memorising translations and style points so if you don't like the language part I think you would more than hate the literature.

i do like literature in the sense of analysing english language and writing essays on it, but are they really the same thing?
Reply 18
i do like literature in the sense of analysing english language and writing essays on it, but are they really the same thing?

you do have to write essays on the style and techniques of a poet/writer for latin literature, however personally i dont like english lit either so i found latin literature to be such a bore. for me latin literature is 30% of my grade, whereas the latin language is 50%( the other 20% is Roman civilisation, which i find quite interesting, even though i dislike history. overall it is quite a well rounded subject, but only take it if you enjoy it! I find latin language really easy however, as do most people at GCSE.
Original post by ab1iiii
you do have to write essays on the style and techniques of a poet/writer for latin literature, however personally i dont like english lit either so i found latin literature to be such a bore. for me latin literature is 30% of my grade, whereas the latin language is 50%( the other 20% is Roman civilisation, which i find quite interesting, even though i dislike history. overall it is quite a well rounded subject, but only take it if you enjoy it! I find latin language really easy however, as do most people at GCSE.

has latin language helped you with other subjects?
also i think the problem is that i just dont find it useful, so i dont really focus much on it. do you continue with the caecilius books in GCSE?
is it worth it if you dont really like it?

Quick Reply

Latest