The Student Room Group

Crashing RMPS

I've just started 5th year and I've decided to crash Rmps. We're studying Buddhism, War and Peace and the science and belief sections. Basically, are there any tips you can give me to come out with a good grade or any revision guides and books I could buy to help? Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
hey, I sat my Higher RMPS exam this year : ) I did Christianity, Belief and science and crime and punishment.

there are no revision books at the moment, haha.
this: http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nationalqualifications/resources/r/nqresource_tcm4563818.asp - has the infromation for the first couple of questions which come up in every morality in modern world topic, so it's useful.
There's also a book by Joe Walker from Hodder Gibson, however, I didn't find it very useful. and same with the Belief and science book also by him. The books concentrates more on things that aren't even in the course, and you will never ever get asked about.
Our teacher gave us a booklet (a big one, though) by John Grant Keenan, and it was very useful. This: http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nationalqualifications/resources/c/nqresource_tcm4303180.asp is also quite useful.

Here's something for Buddhism, as well: http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nationalqualifications/resources/w/nqresource_tcm4230229.asp
I used that booklet but for Christianity, and it was much more useful than any other book.

I hope you'll enjoy the course. I loved it, and I wish my school ran AH :frown:
Reply 2
Hey I crashed and did the Higher 2011 exam. Ended up with 1st in the year after hardcore revision! I did Buddhism, Gender and Belief & Science.
I think if you try to enjoy/appreciate Buddhism it will make it easier. Memorising marking instructions really helped me because I knew all my info was correct and it improved my answer structures :smile:
I was much better at Buddhism and Gender than I was Belief and Science, but I still managed an A1 in the prelim, so if you do really well in the topics you enjoy or find easier, it can really help - maybe that's stating the obvious but ya know..
Because there's not many textbooks, I just printed off old past papers from the SQA site - highly recommend doing this!
Reply 3
Original post by tragicmagic
Hey I crashed and did the Higher 2011 exam. Ended up with 1st in the year after hardcore revision! I did Buddhism, Gender and Belief & Science.
I think if you try to enjoy/appreciate Buddhism it will make it easier. Memorising marking instructions really helped me because I knew all my info was correct and it improved my answer structures :smile:
I was much better at Buddhism and Gender than I was Belief and Science, but I still managed an A1 in the prelim, so if you do really well in the topics you enjoy or find easier, it can really help - maybe that's stating the obvious but ya know..
Because there's not many textbooks, I just printed off old past papers from the SQA site - highly recommend doing this!

Cheers! Any tips for memorizing all the complicated words and deffinitions like Dharma, kamma etc? :L
Reply 4
I used acronyms and mnemonics to help with all the different rules. I kept getting confused with all the numbers e.g. 3 marks, four noble truths etc.. So I would recommend that if that sort of thing works for you. I memorised the Noble Eightfold Path by remembering the letter of each thingy -
Right View
Right Intention
Right Speech
Right Action
Right Livelihood
Right Effort
Right Mindfulness
Right Concentration
So I always remembered the path as VISALEMC

I also made wee poems and posters to help with each thing
and tried to associate each word/thing with an image in my head

I must also say if Buddhism is new to you as it was to me, it may seem overwhelming and complex at first, but one day you will see how it all fits together. This happened to me - it just clicked!
Also, I revised so much for the Buddhism NAB that when the prelim and the real exam came, it wasn't so difficult.
Listen and work hard in class and it will pay off! :smile:
Original post by aroy45
I've just started 5th year and I've decided to crash Rmps. We're studying Buddhism, War and Peace and the science and belief sections. Basically, are there any tips you can give me to come out with a good grade or any revision guides and books I could buy to help? Cheers :smile:

For Belief and Science, pictures help... my RMPS jotter is full of pictures of birds I was told to draw... and flowers and trees.

And flow charts helped too. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by HeatherHatter
For Belief and Science, pictures help... my RMPS jotter is full of pictures of birds I was told to draw... and flowers and trees.

And flow charts helped too. :smile:

thankyouuu :smile:
Original post by aroy45
thankyouuu :smile:

*shall get them to you sometime*
hi guys, I'm in need of a lot of help. Basically my teacher is threatening to move me down to national 5, if I don't get one of the topic marks and prove myself I should stay at higher. But because my teacher can't teach and it's impossible to find any notes I'll need to pass the prelim, I'm screwed like hell. So if anyone has any good revision material there willing to share to me or useful tips I can better my no knowledge of rmps to knowing all that I need, that would be very nice of you. so can anyone help a brother from another, pleaseeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending