The Student Room Group

S5 subject help- 4 essay based subjects?

Im really stuck with what subjects to take,

I am currently doing Maths, English, Spanish, Modern Studies, Geography, Biology and Art all at N5

I know I am definitely taking Maths, English, Modern and geography but im unsure on what other subject to take. I know that im definitely dropping Biology and most likely dropping art (although i'll miss it but im not good at practical, i can only do theory well).

I really want to crash RMPS or History in S5, but I've heard that your advised to wait until S6 to crash subjects and that it is good having a variety of subjects, especially if you dont really know what to do after school.

I know I want to go to uni to do either international relations, PPE, Mathematics, politics, philosophy, or maybe architecture or urban planning
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi there :smile: I take the same subjects - but I take history instead of modern studies. I think what people mean when they say to wait till S6, is that it is unknown whether you can get good grades when crashing a subject - as you have not done it before. So they usually advise to wait, so that you can make sure to get your 5 Highers banked for uni and then you can experiment a bit in S6. However, I’d say that crashing a higher now is still a good option if you know you have skills in that subject area. So considering you want to take history/rmps - ask yourself if you’re good at humanities subjects. Is English and Modern Studies going well for you? If yes, then crashing history or rmps will 100% be doable.
This part may be less relevant, but since you’re considering international relations - crashing higher business could maybe benefit you? I’m not sure, as I don’t take business but it’s a thought!
Hope this helps :biggrin:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by wkstudy
Hi there :smile: I take the same subjects - but I take history instead of modern studies. I think what people mean when they say to wait till S6, is that it is unknown whether you can get good grades when crashing a subject - as you have not done it before. So they usually advise to wait, so that you can make sure to get your 5 Highers banked for uni and then you can experiment a bit in S6. However, I’d say that crashing a higher now is still a good option if you know you have skills in that subject area. So considering you want to take history/rmps - ask yourself if you’re good at humanities subjects. Is English and Modern Studies going well for you? If yes, then crashing history or rmps will 100% be doable.
This part may be less relevant, but since you’re considering international relations - crashing higher business could maybe benefit you? I’m not sure, as I don’t take business but it’s a thought!
Hope this helps :biggrin:
Thank you so much this was helpful!!!
Im definitely considering picking up RMPS/history, considering I got the best in my year on my modern prelim (77/80).
As for my prelims i got an As in Maths, English, Modern, Geography, and Art theory, Bs in Spanish and Biology and then a C for art practical. I'd definitely say that Im more inclined to study humanities as Im better as them and find them more interesting (Yet for some reason maths is one of my strongest subjects?!?!)

Also thank you for letting me know about higher business, I never really thought about that before, I'm not too sure if i would take it for S6 because there is so many subjects I want to pick do!! (AH maths- to see if I would enjoy it at uni level, AH modern, RMPS, history, politics, psychology and perhaps physics) :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by deceptacon
Thank you so much this was helpful!!!
Im definitely considering picking up RMPS/history, considering I got the best in my year on my modern prelim (77/80).
As for my prelims i got an As in Maths, English, Modern, Geography, and Art theory, Bs in Spanish and Biology and then a C for art practical. I'd definitely say that Im more inclined to study humanities as Im better as them and find them more interesting (Yet for some reason maths is one of my strongest subjects?!?!)

Also thank you for letting me know about higher business, I never really thought about that before, I'm not too sure if i would take it for S6 because there is so many subjects I want to pick do!! (AH maths- to see if I would enjoy it at uni level, AH modern, RMPS, history, politics, psychology and perhaps physics) :smile:
Glad I could help :biggrin: I agree on the subjects - there’s too many I’m interested in and not so many spaces!
Original post by deceptacon
Im really stuck with what subjects to take,

I am currently doing Maths, English, Spanish, Modern Studies, Geography, Biology and Art all at N5

I know I am definitely taking Maths, English, Modern and geography but im unsure on what other subject to take. I know that im definitely dropping Biology and most likely dropping art (although i'll miss it but im not good at practical, i can only do theory well).

I really want to crash RMPS or History in S5, but I've heard that your advised to wait until S6 to crash subjects and that it is good having a variety of subjects, especially if you dont really know what to do after school.

I know I want to go to uni to do either international relations, PPE, Mathematics, politics, philosophy, or maybe architecture or urban planning

If your considering between history and rmps as someone who takes both I can say that history is much harder than rmps If u haven't done nat5 I would definitely be going for rmps ( it's also my favourite subject so I might be a biased )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending