The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

How's everyone getting on? I've got given four assignments so far two due in after half term (and can't really make a start because we haven't learnt much on the subjects). One which will be doing in class. The last one is just putting together our uni applications.

I want something to get my teeth into now! Although I'm sure I'll regret saying that in a few months!:biggrin:

At the moment I'm loving English Lit, and Sociology (although not too keen on the people in my Sociology class anymore). Hate Maths :angry: not too keen on Psychology because we seem to be learning really random stuff none of which relates to the assignment but I do like the people in my Psychology class. :confused:
Reply 581
Original post by Beebumble
How's everyone getting on? I've got given four assignments so far two due in after half term (and can't really make a start because we haven't learnt much on the subjects). One which will be doing in class. The last one is just putting together our uni applications.

I want something to get my teeth into now! Although I'm sure I'll regret saying that in a few months!:biggrin:

At the moment I'm loving English Lit, and Sociology (although not too keen on the people in my Sociology class anymore). Hate Maths :angry: not too keen on Psychology because we seem to be learning really random stuff none of which relates to the assignment but I do like the people in my Psychology class. :confused:

I'm doing good :smile: glad everything us going reasonably well for you, I've had 5 assignments so far one due in two week one already handed in, another for the 17th of Oct and the ucas one :smile:
Reply 582
Still no assignments here :frown: I'm placating myself with reading grammar books, as my grammar sucks! I've found a GCSE class that I can attend, after weeks of two-ing and fro-ing between the 6 different college campuses. It's a bit odd though, in the sense that it's the same day I have my English module class for Access, with the same teacher and we'll be studying the same texts. Part of me is horrified as, well what's the point? But then part of me is elated that it won't mean tonnes of extra work on top of my Access. Thursdays will be a long old day though. Up at 5.30, English Access from 9am - 1pm, spend six hours meandering in the library/fitness centre/city centre and then English GCSE 6pm - 9pm and then an hours journey home :eek:

Beebumble: I feel the same about History as you do about Psychology. I love the tutor, he's great and entertaining... but he has a tendency to go off on a tangent about things completely unrelated to our syllabus. We're studying very specific periods of history, none of which are to do with Ancient Egypt but he spent an hour talking to us about Hieroglyphs today. I'm fully resigned to having to self-study History and then just take his lessons as they come. Frustrating though!
Reply 583
Original post by Elle408
Still no assignments here :frown: I'm placating myself with reading grammar books, as my grammar sucks! I've found a GCSE class that I can attend, after weeks of two-ing and fro-ing between the 6 different college campuses. It's a bit odd though, in the sense that it's the same day I have my English module class for Access, with the same teacher and we'll be studying the same texts. Part of me is horrified as, well what's the point? But then part of me is elated that it won't mean tonnes of extra work on top of my Access. Thursdays will be a long old day though. Up at 5.30, English Access from 9am - 1pm, spend six hours meandering in the library/fitness centre/city centre and then English GCSE 6pm - 9pm and then an hours journey home :eek:

Beebumble: I feel the same about History as you do about Psychology. I love the tutor, he's great and entertaining... but he has a tendency to go off on a tangent about things completely unrelated to our syllabus. We're studying very specific periods of history, none of which are to do with Ancient Egypt but he spent an hour talking to us about Hieroglyphs today. I'm fully resigned to having to self-study History and then just takehis lessons as they come. Frustrating though!

If anything its just good practice for uni as you will probs be studying yourself a lot there, I can't believe hardly anyone has had any assignments yet, and I've had 4/5 lol plus a biology essay next week:O
Reply 584
ive been going for a week im in my second week now and only had one 'proper' class, that being criminology, because th first week was spent on ice breakers, library inductions and going over what we will be doing for the year, so far though i love my class bar a two gobby people (both over 50!) they just talk ALL the time and really loudly and ask stupid questions like if the teacher is talking about crime and deviance, and the difference between them one of them will cme out with somthing like "yeah but when i did my level 2 catering course last year we used whisks instead of spatulas!" and its like what the actual frig!

bit of a rant there! so yeah no assignments as of yet, i really need to brush up on my grammar spelling and punctuation! and how to be patient when old people annoy me! haha
Reply 585
Original post by RinniieX

bit of a rant there! so yeah no assignments as of yet, i really need to brush up on my grammar spelling and punctuation! and how to be patient when old people annoy me! haha

I'm sure it's not very funny for you, but that is quite comical! lol
The 'gobby' girl in our class would make similar comments. She hasn't been in our class for the past two days though, although she has been in college, so i'm not sure if she's changed courses. It's nice and quiet now! lol

I handed my PS in to the tutor today for him to review. When I handed it over I was literally shaking and couldn't stop frowning! I couldn't even look at him as he read it! I don't think the rest of the class get how private the PS is, they all wanted to read it and borrow ideas from mine and I started to get panicky about that! lol Anyway, I'm really pleased, he said it was very unique and 'incredibly strong' :biggrin: well, except for the opening paragraph which I really don't think he understood what I was trying to do with it. I'm not sure whether to change it though because I like it. And his overall advice about how to write a PS went against everything i've researched! He's writing my reference over the next two days and said it will be ready for me to look at from Friday so that I can get my whole entire UCAS sent in by Tuesday... :K: So excited to get the ball rolling but then also incredibly scared!
Reply 586
Hi everyone!

I'm in my 3rd of 4th week oh an Access To HE combined studies course at the mo, nice to know there are more people on here doing it =D
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 587
I'm coming to the end of the fourth week. So far I've got 2 Maths assignments, 3 study skills assignments, have handed in 3 out of 5 practicals and have tests for two subjects in a fortnight. My personal statement is nearly finished and I'm going to finish entering the rest of the info (units, qualifications and choices) on ucas today.

Lots of people absent today for various reasons.
Reply 588
I have a ton of work as well, I'm coping with it though which is good =] no exam dates as yet but my whole class has a five week review on the week of the 17th where they're going to tell us individually if they think we should stay on the course eek!
Reply 589
ive not been given any work really. only little bits here and there that dont count for anything :frown: should I be worried? Everyone else seems to have assignments in all their subjects
Reply 590
Original post by godsangel
ive not been given any work really. only little bits here and there that dont count for anything :frown: should I be worried? Everyone else seems to have assignments in all their subjects

im only in my second week, no assignments given yet, just tasks to do in class which are accountable for nothing but im sure theyl come in handy somewere down the line, work sheets and the like!

i havent even started my ucas yet! ohhh bejeebus! im going to struggle with this personal statement lark!
Reply 591
So, the end of another week. Anyone feel like they're walking around with a permanent frown? I have so much going on in my brain that I'm unable to lower my eyebrows! lol

So yes, have had a few rewrites of my personal statement and am feeling even better about it. I'm half way through reading 'The Law Machine' and although a lot of it is not sinking in i'm getting a good idea about how the system works. I also got some grammar books from the library and signed up to an 'Athens' account which might be my most favourite thing in the world, access to thousands of journals and magazines for free on any computer! They have a huge stock of Law resources that I plan to start making my way through so that I can get an even better understanding of the basics.

I've had a huge mental debate raging for the past twelve hours on my uni choices. I'm worried about the LNAT and worried about KCL and UCL being written off if I perform badly. I'm tempted to take them out completely and not have to worry about the LNAT at all... but I can't let King's go. King's is my dream choice (Cambridge being the wild card, wildest dreams choice) It's literally around the corner from my dream company, the facilities are amazing, the fact that it's Somerset House is just drool-worthy... And I think I would regret not giving it a go. So for that reason, I think I have to consider the LNAT. Which is giving me ulcers! lol

The work we're covering in lectures pales in comparison to the pressures i'm feeling from all of the above. I'm finding it all relatively easy, almost, dare I say, boring. But that's probably a good thing so that I can focus on UCAS and LNAT and then hope that the work picks up as we get more involved.

How's everyone else doing? Sorry for the massive rant, I tend to get type-happy when my brain is overloaded! :colone:
I'm not getting into my access course at all, I just feel so negative about it and I don't know why. I have so much work to do and I just can't concentrate hard enough to even start it right now. I have too much going on in my head right now with my job and health, beyond stressed! Seriously don't think I'm going to last on this course and it frustrates me because I always did well in school and got a triple Distinction in a BTEC course 2 years ago. Back then I LOVED doing essays and researching, now I cba! :frown:

Anyone else feel the same?
Reply 593
I'm loving my course and everything about it, from getting on the train in the morning to getting told off when my phone rang in class. I think I'm gonna stay at college forever.
Original post by sophiemay20
I'm not getting into my access course at all, I just feel so negative about it and I don't know why. I have so much work to do and I just can't concentrate hard enough to even start it right now. I have too much going on in my head right now with my job and health, beyond stressed! Seriously don't think I'm going to last on this course and it frustrates me because I always did well in school and got a triple Distinction in a BTEC course 2 years ago. Back then I LOVED doing essays and researching, now I cba! :frown:

Anyone else feel the same?

:jumphug: It's all down to preparation and your mindset unfortunately. I hated school and hated being at my last college. I was so unprepared for the work load and went in everyday with the though "I'm tired, can't be bothered." as a result I under-performed in everything. Now I'm going in looking forward to everyday even if I don't really like the subjects I'm doing that day and as a result I'm doing better.:smile:
I'm worried because I feel like I'm already struggling with certain aspects of the course. Do you think its normal for me to be considering switching to another course? It doesn't help when I'm stressing about other things, and my mind can't concentrate when I'm in college.
Reply 596
Im with the majority here! loving my course! minus the ass kissers/gobby people and leaving the house two and a half hours before i have to be in college!

the only lesson i dislike is english the teacher is so up her own arse its unreal! realy realy dread going to that class because i dispise the bitch! :smile:

criminology and psychology im lovingggggggg though! <3 just need to finnish of my ucas so it doesnt bog me down when my assignments come flooding in!

has anyone finnished their personal statement yet?
Finally began my CertHE in Legal Method at Birkbeck!

check out my blog: www.qc2b.info
Reply 598
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
I'm worried because I feel like I'm already struggling with certain aspects of the course. Do you think its normal for me to be considering switching to another course? It doesn't help when I'm stressing about other things, and my mind can't concentrate when I'm in college.

If you want to switch courses i'd speak to someone at guidance or your personal tutor now before you miss too much of the other course and it becomes impossible either way! Also, speak to your personal tutor now about the struggles you're having, that way they can help you come up with a plan of action on how to solve any issues. It's better to do it now whilst the course is still so new and you're not too far behind. Always, always ask questions about something you're not sure of, that's what the tutors are there for! Ours have been nothing but wonderful and are perfectly happy to stay behind after lessons to go over anything that is still unclear, you just have to be vocal about not understanding it initially!
One girl is really starting to annoy me. She was so rude to me today and completely spoke over me while I was talking to the class. I was right in the middle of a sentence and she just interrupted to say something totally unrelated to what I was saying. Then there's the fact her and her friend are constant giggling in class! I'm all up for having a laugh but it's annoying when you're trying to wrap your head around something and all I can hear is her stupid giggle.:mad:

I'm also pretty sure she comes into some classes half cut.:eek::rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending