The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ashtoreth
hey there, GG

goin by your other thread you are doin social sciences n wanna do law or psych...basically, it depends what institution u apply to and what their requirements will be but i saw that u are at 83% thus far, which would suggest that no matter what the offer, u should comfortably meet it.
before u get to the entry requirements, ur real foot thru the door is your personal statement (PS) - get that right and even if your grades dip (for whatever reason) u will still see those offers (tho i should qualify this and say, not too dramatic a dip)
at least, that seems to have been the general exp (going by posts on these boards)

i can't be more specific i'm afraid cos i had to go thru a selection process and for me it was a combo of, academic ref/ps and additional work i had to do for the uni's but, generally speaking, u should be good with a strong ps and academic ref - backed up with good grades. basically, the more reputable the institution u apply to, the higher the bar they will set.

there's a section here that will help u with your ps, should u have the need. they proved invaluable for me as well :smile:

hope the above helps but if not, there are loadsa helpful types on here, and many more that are going on to read the same degrees as u wanna read, so mebbe they will chip in too!

My hero! :smile:

Thank you!
*raised eyebrows* I decided to reply in the spirit of your own post, sunrise...

Come on! "(alleged) human beings" and "the state of humanity", get down to your GP and get a prescription for perceptionate distinctionulphide, it is quick acting and has no known side effects.

Might I recommend u tag along as well? U are clearly suffering from a blocked passage and one suspects an enema would help.

You will be back on planet Earth before you know it. :smile:

If u are able to extract your head from Ur-anus, see u back there :smile:

Any "involvement" in gossip and back stabbing is purely voluntary.

A revelatory statement. I ty for the clarity.

If you mean that you witnessed such gossip and back stabbing then some practice in precise articulation might be advised, this will also have benefits at university.

Of greater benefit at university will be the exercising of discretion I should imagine u know, that thing that not only suggests ‘discretion is the better part of valour (something far too many fools ignore imo)’ but which also determines what should be included, or excluded. A marvellous skill for essay writing I can tell u!
Or indeed, posting :smile:

Gossip and back stabbing are similar to and often constitute defacto bullying; hence those who watch and do nothing are as culpable as those who execute. What is required is a demonstration of leadership within the group.

On the contrary, what is required is discretion (see, there’s that word again!). leadership can = making situations worse because gossips tend to thrive on disharmony/strife. and lo n behold where not everyone was involved - ‘leadership’ can lead to becoming a part of the problem. Good intentions are wasted on ppl like this.

If we are talking about class disruption or cheating, as reported by Kvitty, then the student sacrifices personal popularity and demands that the college resolves it.

IF I had been speaking of disruption/cheating, u may well be right. Unfortunately for u tho, I’m not. When my final ref to uni is sent, I’ll come back n post with precision, for your benefit.

Do you think university or a graduate career will be different?

Do u think u could be any more pompous?

The only difference will be the size of some of the fish relative to the size of the new pond and its other occupants.

Again, u have blinded me with your fatuity.

Well done in the distinction profiles and all the best at uni and may your final classification, as Bill and Tedd would say, be most excellent.:biggrin:

How kind! Ty v much. It’s appreciated. especially as rather incredulously, my final review suggests I’m capable of a 1st

Disclaimer: the above post was designed to be as helpful as possible and it is the curse of text that even the most helpful amongst us can end up sounding supercilious and/or pompous

Sorry to hijack your thread ashtoreth m8,just thought i would say its really nice to see you back on here again.I hope you are well m8:biggrin:.
Original post by Geee Geee
My hero! :smile:

Thank you!

hey! no thanks needed and heroine, if u pls

looool i kid.

i'm just glad if it made sense and gave u some pointers. just to quickly add, so far as your ps is concerned, make it as specific to your chosen degree as poss - the ps guys will be able to help loads there tho :smile:
Original post by wizardtop
Sorry to hijack your thread ashtoreth m8,just thought i would say its really nice to see you back on here again.I hope you are well m8:biggrin:.

erk! it's not my thread lol...but i will say that a hijack by u is welcome at any time ...ltns to u too! how the devil are ya? u doin awrite?

gotta say it feels like i been off here for a while too but been hobbling thru the remainder of the course, much like most, so not had much chance to pass thru.

may pass thru a little more now that the course is nearly done. gonna feel really weird to not have deadlines n mad last minute essays to knock up; already feelin lost! loool.
Me in January on the prospect of completing Study Skills: "Study skills? Pffft! I'll do it on the night." :cool:

On the night: "OH MY GOOOODDDDDDDD!!!" :yikes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1585
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
Me in January on the prospect of completing Study Skills: "Study skills? Pffft! I'll do it on the night." :cool:

Haha, just had that today! Had to complete the Pearl 'self awareness' crap and sit the English level 2 module, thought it'd be really easy and an hour later I'd gone cross-eyed from concentration - but, and I say this with giddiness... I AM DONE!!!! Wahoo! :banana2: :banana2:

I went through my portfolio with my personal tutor, made sure everything was there and signed, filled in the cover sheet with my grades... and voilà, done! He said that it will now be sent off to the exam board and validated and I should get my certificate at the beginning of August, as they like to get them to us two weeks before A-level results... so we shall see!
Reply 1586
Final work signed off for me today. I am finished, a little sad, as I have had such a fantastic year but still onto greater things come September. We have all worked so hard, but it is worth it. Congratulations to all. I am off to a friends for the weekend to celebrate!

this made me snort laughin! omg i know this so well! looool
this made me snort laughin! omg i know this so well! looool

We laugh now, but at the time we cried.

Never, never again!
Original post by Elle408
Haha, just had that today! Had to complete the Pearl 'self awareness' crap and sit the English level 2 module, thought it'd be really easy and an hour later I'd gone cross-eyed from concentration - but, and I say this with giddiness... I AM DONE!!!! Wahoo! :banana2: :banana2:

I went through my portfolio with my personal tutor, made sure everything was there and signed, filled in the cover sheet with my grades... and voilà, done! He said that it will now be sent off to the exam board and validated and I should get my certificate at the beginning of August, as they like to get them to us two weeks before A-level results... so we shall see!

Elle! Haven't seen you on here in yonks!

Congrats on finishing. So happy for you. So happy for of all us, to be fair! :biggrin: Did you manage to maintain your 100% distinction rate? :tongue:
We laugh now, but at the time we cried.

Never, never again!

i clearly don't learn *is an idiot* cos despite saying 'never again' - there i would be, frantically typin the nite before, and i did that right to the end! loool

sigh...let's hope i learn some organisation and lose the laziness for uni...tho i best not hold my breath
Original post by Soule
Final work signed off for me today. I am finished, a little sad, as I have had such a fantastic year but still onto greater things come September. We have all worked so hard, but it is worth it. Congratulations to all. I am off to a friends for the weekend to celebrate!

yay at u finishing!

congrats to u too missus, and to all of us that stayed the distance...
yay at u finishing!

congrats to u too missus, and to all of us that stayed the distance...

I am just glad its all over with ashroreth really.Just have to wait and see what i end up with resultwise.I have also decided to take some time out from my studies for a while anyway.I would also like to offer my congrats to everyone who has now gained a University Place and will be starting their respective degrees this coming academic Year all the very best to u all ^_^
Portfolio all signed off and verified by the external verifier. Huzzah.

Last maths exam and that's it!
Not been in this thread in a while but came to say I've finished! :woo::woohoo:

I actually hugged my teacher when she gave me my last distinction! :colondollar: It was strange I didn't need to sign anything or go over it with anyone. Course director just told me to leave my portfolio in the office.:s-smilie:

Ahh well, all done now. 18 distinctions 30 merits and 15 passes and a maths GCSE equivalency. Not as spectacular as the grades from the brainiacs who seem to populate this forum but I'm very proud of myself.:biggrin:
Original post by Beebumble
Not been in this thread in a while but came to say I've finished! :woo::woohoo:

I actually hugged my teacher when she gave me my last distinction! :colondollar: It was strange I didn't need to sign anything or go over it with anyone. Course director just told me to leave my portfolio in the office.:s-smilie:

Ahh well, all done now. 18 distinctions 30 merits and 15 passes and a maths GCSE equivalency. Not as spectacular as the grades from the brainiacs who seem to populate this forum but I'm very proud of myself.:biggrin:

Huge congrats on all those grades Beebumble thats a great achievement:smile:.All the best to u in your future career ^_^ and i mean that
All finished and now the long 3 month wait for Uni to begin.
Reply 1597
Original post by Charliemouse
All finished and now the long 3 month wait for Uni to begin.

it will fly by! and then we will all be back in the world of assignments and revision! yay!
Original post by wizardtop
I am just glad its all over with ashroreth really.Just have to wait and see what i end up with resultwise.I have also decided to take some time out from my studies for a while anyway.I would also like to offer my congrats to everyone who has now gained a University Place and will be starting their respective degrees this coming academic Year all the very best to u all ^_^

me too, wizard! i'm really glad it's all over. just required to go in for one more session an that will hopefully be that.

but talk about being contrary - anyone else bored mindless and don't know what to do with themselves?
i have work to keep me going but, it's not enuff. i think i've become a stress junkie!
even mailed the uni for a reading list so's i could keep busy but i got the 'it will be sent out in due course' response.
don't they realise i'm going out ma mind here? :redface:
me too, wizard! i'm really glad it's all over. just required to go in for one more session an that will hopefully be that.

but talk about being contrary - anyone else bored mindless and don't know what to do with themselves?
i have work to keep me going but, it's not enuff. i think i've become a stress junkie!
even mailed the uni for a reading list so's i could keep busy but i got the 'it will be sent out in due course' response.
don't they realise i'm going out ma mind here? :redface:

I feel exactly the same! I don't know what on earth I did with my life before the course started. :s-smilie: I may get into exercise over the summer because I keep eating to feel the void and after all it is Olympic year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending