The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin Literature

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by bloomingblossoms
I'm doing section A

I'm so scared for it - i can't learn all those poems!!!!
Reply 101

Thank you so so much :biggrin: much appreciated :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 102
Yeah doing section A too.. The ovid is immensely hard to learn :/ .... Also are there any answers for section A of the lit paper from today?
I'm doing Section A too xD Seems there more Section A-ers, woohoo!
Reply 104
Original post by sarah-marsbars
I'm doing Section A too xD Seems there more Section A-ers, woohoo!

Original post by Aks123
Yeah doing section A too.. The ovid is immensely hard to learn :/ .... Also are there any answers for section A of the lit paper from today?

I know - i honestly can't learn ovid - i'm trying to but its impossible - i've got such a WEIRD translation :/
Virgil really is getting on my nerves now...it's impossible to learn:mad:
Original post by missbb
I know - i honestly can't learn ovid - i'm trying to but its impossible - i've got such a WEIRD translation :/

They're all weird =P
Here's what I got for Ovid:

GRIEF AT PARTING:
When the very sad image of that night creeps upon me, the night which was the last time for me in the city - when I recall the night on which I left so many things that were dear to me, even now a tear runs down from my eyes. Now it was almost light when Caesar had ordered me to leave from the boundaries of furthest Ausonia. There had been neither the space nor the thinking for preparing sufficiently suitable arrangements. Our hearts had become numb with the long delay. There was no concern for choosing slaves for myself. There was no concern for choosing comrades for myself. There was no concern for clothing and an outfit that was fitting for exile. I was dazed just as he who, having been hit by the fires of Jove, lives and it himself unknowing of his life. However, when grief itself remove this cloud from my mind and at last my senses got better, being about to go, I finally spoke to my sad friends, from the many of whom one or two remained. My loving wife held on to me as I wept, herself crying more bitterly, with a flood of tears falling continuously over her cheeks. My daughter was absent on the shores of Libia, nor was she able to be more certain of my fate. Wherever you might look, grieves and groans were sounding and inside the house there was the appearance of a loud funeral. Every woman, ever man and the children also grieve at my funeral; in my home every corner holds tears. If it is allowed to use grand example, this was the appearance of Troy when it was captured.

GRIEF AT PARTING - PART II
And now the voices of men and dogs became quiet and the moon above was guiding the nocturnal horses through the night. I, looking up at her and seeing in her light the buildings of the Capitol which were joined to our house in vain, I say, "Oh deities that are living in the neighbouring buildings and now those temples never to be seen by my eyes again. Those gods who must be left behind in the lofty city of Quirimus - be greeted by me for all time. With this prayer I worshipped the gods, my wife with many more prayers, her sobbing interrupting the middle of her sounds. She, collapsing next to the Lares with her hair let loose, touched the cold ashes with quivering lips and poured out many words to the hostile Penates, not about to have an influence on behalf of her mourned for husband. And now the precipitous headlong night was denying any room for delay.

Three times I touched the threshold, three times I was called back and my very foot was slow as it was indulging my mind. Often I kept saying goodbye and again I said many things and as if leaving I gave final kisses. Often I gave the same orders and I cheated myself looking back at my children with my eyes.

I am torn just as if I am leaving behind my own limbs and part of my body seemed to be broken off. Thus Mettus grieved on the occasion when he held horses turned in opposite directions, as avengers of his treachery. Then indeed the shouting an groaning of my family started up again and their sad hands beat their naked chests. Then indeed my wife, clinging onto the shoulders of those whom I left, mixed together these sad words with my tears, "You cannot be taken away. Together, together we shall go from here. I will follow you and as an exile I will be the wife of an exile. The path has been made for me and the end of the earth takes me in its grasp. I will add a little bit of baggage to the ship of the refugee."

I don't know if that makes more sense or less xD It just seems to be a lot of words about a guy being exiled and saying goodbye to his family.
Original post by missbb
I'm so scared for it - i can't learn all those poems!!!!

I know right, it's sooo long but at least we've got a day for it i suppose
Reply 108
Original post by bsblitter
I didn't actually notice any mistakes..must be the tension in the examination!

Yeah this is true, they were supposed to out Canius instead of Pythius on question 25 and 26.

The board has apologised profusely, and that you will receive full credit for that question whether you talked about wither man. :smile:
Reply 109
What about the Virgil?
Reply 110
Original post by missbb

I have a weird translation for the Horace one as well 'Love for a young man'. I just don't get the plot/point of that poem ... any help please?
Original post by Aks123
I have a weird translation for the Horace one as well 'Love for a young man'. I just don't get the plot/point of that poem ... any help please?

LOVE FOR A YOUNG MAN

TRANSLATION:
Oh Lydia, tell me this truly, by all the gods, why are you rushing to ruin Sybaris with your loving; why does he hate the sunny campus, enduring the dust and the sun, why does he neither ride as a soldier amongst his peers nor control Gallic mouths with jagged teeth bridles? Why is he afraid to touch the yellow Tiber? Why does he avoid the olive oil more cautiously than a viper's blood, nor now display arms bruised by weapons, often famous with the discus, often famous for throwing a javelin across the boundary? Why does he hide, as they say the son of marine Thesis did, under the sad ruins of Troy so that his manly dress might snatch him away to slaughter and the Lycian troops?

Please let me know if you have a better translation, because I didn't have this one checked by my Latin teacher so I'm less sure about it.

MY NOTES:
"cur apricum oderit Campum," shows that Sybaris should be at the campus - a wide open space which was often used for exercising. "cur olivum sanguine viperino cautius vitat," suggests that Sybaris might have gone to the baths and then used olive oil afterwards to clean his skin. Finally, "cur neque militaris inter aequales equitet," implies that Sybaris should be riding lots of horses. These all show that Sybaris was an active man and should be indulging in lots of excercise.

Achilles was the son of Thetis and he was the great hero and warrior in the Trojan battle. This reference is therefore used to highlight that if it wasn't for Lydia, Sybaris could be a hero.

Horace is more interested in Sybaris then Lydia as he is the main focus on the poem. Throughout most of the poem, Horace mentions all of the activities that Sybaris should be doing, for example, "cur neque militaris inter aequales equiter." Whereas the only thing that the reader learns about Lydia is that her love is ruining Sybaris and this is shown by the phrase, "Sybari cur properes amando perdere." It is portrayed that Sybaris would be very successful without Lydia, so she is presented more negatively by Horace.

BACKGROUND:
Horace feels Sybaris should be indulging in manly, military activities, and not giving his time to love. This is rather the dilemma which Hippolytus faces, except seen from the other side. The latter gives too much of his time to hunting (and worship of Diana/Artemis) whilst ignoring the activities of love, in which a young man should be involved (and the worship of Venus/Aphrodite). Lydia is seen to be ruining Sybaris with love when he should be taking part in military exercises on the Campus Martius (lines 3-4), and riding as a military young man amongst his peers (lines 5-6). Horace's direct tone is revealed with "dic" (line 1), and by his questions, repeatedly beginning with "cur" (lines 2,3,5 and 8). The "p" alliteration of line 8 may reflect the fear which Sybaris is now displaying. He should be wrestling, receiving bruises, and participating in other athletic exercise.

That's all I got. Hope it helps =] Anyone who can add is more than welcome!
Reply 112
Thank very much.
Here's my translation which we did in class with the teacher's help:

Lydia tell me this truly by all the Gods, why you hurry to destroy Sybaris by loving, tell me why he hates the sunny campus Martius, enduring dust and sun, why doesn't he ride neither as a soldier amongst his contemporaries, and why he doesn't control Gallic mouths with jagged bits? Why is he afraid to touch the tawny Tiber? And why does he avoid olive oil more cautiously than blood of a viper, and he does no longer display his arms, bruised because of armour, often famous for the discus, and often famous for the javelin hurled across the marker? Why is he hiding away, as they say the son of the sea Goddess Thesis, before the teary Trojan deaths, in order that his manly clothes didn't snatch him away into slaughter and the Lycian squadrons?

Not sure if its 100% correct but should be near enough. Thank you for your notes its much appreciated :]
Reply 113
For everyone who found errors in your latin lit paper read this, i didn't personally find any in section A. The errors found in the latin paper mounted upto 14 marks out of the total 50 available, there were 3 errors.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13857911
I think the errors where in Section B.
Reply 115
my translation for love for horace is:

lydia, tell me, by all the Gods truthfully why do you hasten to destroy Sybaria through your love, why does he hate the sunny plane, he used to suffer the dust and the heat of the sun and why is he not riding on horseback as a cadet, among friends of an equal age, and does not control the mouths of Gallic steeds with wolf's tooth buts? why does he fear to touch the yellow tiber? why does he avoid more cautiously than a viper's blood, olive oil and no longer displays arms bruised by weapon practice, he who often with the discus, by throwing the javelin along the mark, was famous why does he hide away as they say the son of the Sea Goddess Thetis (hid) before the deaths of Troy which brought tears so that he clothing of a man would not hasten him off into the slaughter and against the Lycian cohort?

it's from my latin teacher so should be correct :smile:
Eh... they're all similar enough I'd say >< Stick with what you've got, it's too confusing otherwise ^^
Reply 117
how are people getting on with Virgil? I've gone over 5 passages... only 9 more to go !! :biggrin:
Original post by chandler94
how are people getting on with Virgil? I've gone over 5 passages... only 9 more to go !! :biggrin:

are u learning the style notes along with that? I find it difficult to take in these notes.
Reply 119
Original post by bsblitter
are u learning the style notes along with that? I find it difficult to take in these notes.

I'm not memorising them but i'm trying to familiarise myself with them

Quick Reply

Latest