The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by insignificant
after having time to think, and to read your post, i don't feel so bad, because
a. if you see a module titled obligations A you would think there would be a B so she should've had more of a clue?
b. she never clarified anything between 2009 and 2011
c. she never pointed out straight away that i wouldn't be suitable because I was already doing criminal law, and that I hadn't done property and trusts.

I haven't heard from any of them all day long. I emailed my disability advisor that I am finding it hard to cope and that its making me really ill, and i need something sorting, and she didn't reply to me she just forwarded my personal email that i sent her, onto the other academic people involved saying ''please can you sort something, i can't talk to her until she is confirmed on the course'.

F.M.L

I'm glad you feel a little better about it all :smile:.
Those are good points and now that you've got them sorted you've got something to argue with if it comes to that.

I know it's cliche but no news is good news at the moment. If there is no news because they are still trying to work it out then that is good, and if there is no news because they haven't got to it yet then at least that means they actually plan to try and find a solution rather than just saying 'we can't do anything'.

It sounds like your disability advisor wants to talk to you but some sort of red tape or regulation means she can't. I'm not sure about whether she should have forwarded your personal email but it might just get their attention a little more if someone from within the university is telling them to sort something out.

Hang in there; it's not over until they tell you categorically that there's nothing they can do. I can appreciate that it can't help you at all being on tenterhooks about this and there is nothing I can say other than try not to think about it too much until tomorrow and remember that if they don't sort it then it's bad form on their part as you've already shown that any misunderstandings wouldn't have occurred if the admissions advisor had put two and two together about courses being in two parts etc.
:hugs:
Original post by kandy666
I've had trichotillomania since I was 11 years old, and during my maths finals this year I pulled out all my eyelashes. Good thing I'm a massive goth cos I can wear tons of eyeliner and people just think it's my 'look'.

Hi, welcome to the thread :grin:.

I just had to google trichotillomania; it sounds like it's not easy to deal with. Would you mind telling us a little bit more about how it effects you or what it entails? Don't worry if you don't feel comfortable talking about it in detail, but you might get some more specific replies from people who've been through similar things :smile:.
Original post by Emmie3303
I'm glad you feel a little better about it all :smile:.
Those are good points and now that you've got them sorted you've got something to argue with if it comes to that.

I know it's cliche but no news is good news at the moment. If there is no news because they are still trying to work it out then that is good, and if there is no news because they haven't got to it yet then at least that means they actually plan to try and find a solution rather than just saying 'we can't do anything'.

It sounds like your disability advisor wants to talk to you but some sort of red tape or regulation means she can't. I'm not sure about whether she should have forwarded your personal email but it might just get their attention a little more if someone from within the university is telling them to sort something out.

Hang in there; it's not over until they tell you categorically that there's nothing they can do. I can appreciate that it can't help you at all being on tenterhooks about this and there is nothing I can say other than try not to think about it too much until tomorrow and remember that if they don't sort it then it's bad form on their part as you've already shown that any misunderstandings wouldn't have occurred if the admissions advisor had put two and two together about courses being in two parts etc.

I cannot believe what has just happened. He emailed me back saying you now have two options. you either go onto year 2 but your law degree won't be a qualifying law degree, or you start from year one again.

he then went on to say ''the best option is for you to go back to liverpool'' i said its not possible for me to do that he said why i said because i have mental health problems its not possible and he said ''well if you have mental health problems do you really think its a good idea for you to become a lawyer''.

yes my jaw hit the floor when he said that.
I cannot believe what has just happened. He emailed me back saying you now have two options. you either go onto year 2 but your law degree won't be a qualifying law degree, or you start from year one again.

he then went on to say ''the best option is for you to go back to liverpool'' i said its not possible for me to do that he said why i said because i have mental health problems its not possible and he said ''well if you have mental health problems do you really think its a good idea for you to become a lawyer''.

He said what?! That's terrible! Did he say that in another email or over the phone? If it was an email then I'd strongly recommend printing it off so you've got a record of what he said because that's simply not on. I'm not surprised your jaw hit the floor!

Is this a different person to the one you were dealing with before?
Hi, welcome to the thread :grin:.

I just had to google trichotillomania; it sounds like it's not easy to deal with. Would you mind telling us a little bit more about how it effects you or what it entails? Don't worry if you don't feel comfortable talking about it in detail, but you might get some more specific replies from people who've been through similar things :smile:.

Making eye contact with people is difficult, and it's a good thing I'm doing a masters next year as I'm not sure if many employers would like me wearing loads of eye make up. It doesn't massively affect my confidence though as I still go out and do 'alternative clothing' modelling.

Every time I pull them out though I get so worried that they won't grow back again (seeing as I've been doing it for 10 years now).

Also, during my finals I got seborrhoeic eczema on my face around my nose because of the stress. I didn't even get eczema as a baby so it's not good! It's cleared up now though. Yey summer holiday!
Original post by kandy666
Making eye contact with people is difficult, and it's a good thing I'm doing a masters next year as I'm not sure if many employers would like me wearing loads of eye make up. It doesn't massively affect my confidence though as I still go out and do 'alternative clothing' modelling.

Every time I pull them out though I get so worried that they won't grow back again (seeing as I've been doing it for 10 years now).

Also, during my finals I got seborrhoeic eczema on my face around my nose because of the stress. I didn't even get eczema as a baby so it's not good! It's cleared up now though. Yey summer holiday!

Alternative clothing modelling sounds like good fun :p:. What are you doing your masters in?

I suppose people pluck their eyebrows and the hair always grows back so maybe it's similar with eyelashes. Although I see why you'd worry about it not growing back after having done it for so long.

I can't imagine how stressful finals must be. You've probably got to be superhuman not to get stressed at all about those! Summer is good relief if you don't get bored :yes:.
He said what?! That's terrible! Did he say that in another email or over the phone? If it was an email then I'd strongly recommend printing it off so you've got a record of what he said because that's simply not on. I'm not surprised your jaw hit the floor!

Is this a different person to the one you were dealing with before?

Yeah its the same guy, it was over the phone, luckily I had him on loud speaker, my mums face was a picture!
Reply 987

What a massive *******! Really, that's just totally unacceptable. Basically what he's saying is that if you have mental health issues, you should just give up on doing what you want to do. Which is obviously total *******s. He should be making an extra effort to be supportive in a situation like this. It's disgusting that they're putting you through this. I would really think seriously about lodging a complaint. It sounds like they are totally in the wrong. Sorry, I don't really have any helpful advice; I just wanted to show some support here.

PS: I have other replies to make to people and will get to them soon. I just wanted to comment on this first as it angered me!
sometimes i want to be on my own not because i'm awkward it just happens randomly in the day for no apparent reason? I had west syndrome when i was a child could this be related.
Yeah its the same guy, it was over the phone, luckily I had him on loud speaker, my mums face was a picture!

That totally sucks :frown:. I bet your mam's jaw dropped too!
Original post by sclrjt
What a massive *******! Really, that's just totally unacceptable. Basically what he's saying is that if you have mental health issues, you should just give up on doing what you want to do. Which is obviously total *******s. He should be making an extra effort to be supportive in a situation like this. It's disgusting that they're putting you through this. I would really think seriously about lodging a complaint. It sounds like they are totally in the wrong. Sorry, I don't really have any helpful advice; I just wanted to show some support here.

PS: I have other replies to make to people and will get to them soon. I just wanted to comment on this first as it angered me!

thankyou! I really would make a complaint and everything but I honestly, after the past few days i've had, do not have the energy to complain. i just want everything to be settled and die down and then my body will stop overreacting cos right now it feels like my entire digestive system has been rubbed with sanding paper.
That totally sucks :frown:. I bet your mam's jaw dropped too!

you bet! she was screaming at me to say something but I just didn't have the energy to argue. tomorrow I'm just gonna say i want to go onto level 2 , it be unqualifying, and to sort it out, then i can just relax and get my head together and figure out how i can make things as easy as possible for me.
you bet! she was screaming at me to say something but I just didn't have the energy to argue. tomorrow I'm just gonna say i want to go onto level 2 , it be unqualifying, and to sort it out, then i can just relax and get my head together and figure out how i can make things as easy as possible for me.

That sounds like a good plan :smile:. It's got to be better than being on edge because you've no idea where you stand.

Reply 993
Original post by Amwazicles
Welcome to our thread! :smile: Feel free to butt in whenever you like :biggrin:

This is definitely the place for venting. I realise now that the specific situation you were worried about will have passed now, so there's not much point me offering advice. Maybe you could tell us how it went?

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, but hopefully it all went OK.

Welcome again, have some :hippie: (peace) and :heart: (love)

Thankyou! :biggrin: and thanks for the reply too.

Well after all my worrying about the situation, last night turned out to be ok. Did feel slightly odd being surrounded by 14 year olds, but just made me kinda appreciative that I'm not that age anymore :tongue: And my cousin had a brilliant time, really made my day to see him so happy, so it was worth it in the end :smile:

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I think this could well become my new favourive thread! :tongue:

I can't believe he had the cheek to say that! If he had said that to somebody with a physical illness there would have been public outrage I'm sure.

Hope you're feeling a bit better anyway, must have been a difficult thing to hear. And of course if being a Lawyer is what you want to do, then you bloody well go for it, and stuff what people like that think :smile:
Reply 994
It's amazing that mental health is such a taboo subject. Like if people hear it, they automatically assume it's like the worst mental state possible and you probably need to be put in a straight jacket and in an asylum.
Completely needs to be sorted out by the media for making it that way.

Do people have any tips on how they cope in life?
I struggle to even go to the hairdressers, which I did yesterday, and dentist is a nightmare. Have to leave in 5. I have a panic attack daily pretty much now with just day to day activities. And like I said, I have CBT, so doesn't help too much obviously.
But having to go back to school in little over a week. Well, I can't be off like I was for GCSE's and learn from home, so how do you guys do it?

It's all very well sayign grit your teeth and bear it, but it's not that easy. :frown:
Original post by spoinkytheduck

Original post by spoinkytheduck
Personally, my experience is a really good one! :smile: (which should hopefully encourage you slightly! :tongue:)
When I went to my first session I was sooo massively anxious I practically didnt speak other than to tell them that I was fine so I could get out ASAP.. but I kept going to every appointment (cos I couldnt work out an alternative!) and I found I really got on with my CPN.. which I personally think is pretty vital, as if you get on with them you tend to feel more relaxed and actually tell them more stuff :smile: He tries to make the sessions 'led' by me in a way so he tends to start off with 'what have you been up to this week?' then will pick up stuff from there so its not like straight questions, and he gets stuff out of me in a slightly more subtle way.. whcih works for me as I dont tend to tell him things straight off :tongue:

Also, I think the first session tends to be a 'get to know you' thing so dont expect to feel that much better after 1 session but just keep going :smile:

Buut thats my one experience with one CPN and one psychiatrist.. so obviously I cant really say anything about the service as a whole.. and I know some people have had really bad experiences.. so I have no idea how you will find it, but I think the best thing to do is just go in there open minded :smile:

Just to thank you for this advice as I never did :smile:

Just came back from my first appointment. Apart from a mess up where they'd given me one that was actually miles away without telling me at the beginning I managed to get someone elses cancelled slot so it was alright.
Was pretty much what I expected just explaining everything. It was frustrating not feeling like I got everything out because often I'd say something and we'd stop and focus on that, though I think all the basics got covered. He also started looking at the clock quite frequently towards the end which put me off as I felt like I had to rush though obviously they have time constraints and I understand that.
Sometimes felt like he was trying to egg certain answers out of me so he could fit it into a template of what he expected. I mean I get how that helps as then you can apply technique to it, but I felt slightly under pressure to say the 'right' thing. I was talking about the problem I have with food poisoning and we were looking at a certain time when I thought my sandwich was mouldy and he was like, "and how did you feel?" over and over again, I felt like 'anxious' was too basic but that was it and repeating myself I felt a bit silly.
I think it would be better to have longer as it felt really crammed in but I've booked another one anyway and he's given me some self help stuff to look at in the meantime, soo hopefully this is the beginning of getting better :smile:
Original post by _mariam_
Thanks for your comments :smile:

I've taken medication in the past but my doctor warned that I might get addicted to the pills so I didn't really take that many. I'm finding self-help the most usefull because I can read through it in my own time and not have to feel embarrassed or uncomfortable infront of a counsellor.

Most of the stuff I worry about involves the future and what possible problems I may face in education,work,family etc. It sounds really bizarre that I worry about stuff that may or may not even happen but when I get caught up in my thoughts they become so real.

Sounds perfectly sensible to me :tongue:
Pretty much all worry and anxiety is about the future, uncertainty, etc, so it makes sense for you to worry about big, important things in the future like family and careers. :smile:

If you're finding self-help beneficial than that's great, those positives you mentioned do make sense :h:

Original post by geztival
I can't believe he had the cheek to say that! If he had said that to somebody with a physical illness there would have been public outrage I'm sure.

Hope you're feeling a bit better anyway, must have been a difficult thing to hear. And of course if being a Lawyer is what you want to do, then you bloody well go for it, and stuff what people like that think :smile:

The guy that said that was the principal lecturer in Law. It gives me so much faith...not. My mums face was a picture , she was screaming at me to say something back to him but I was too angry to say anything of coherence. He's one of the people that think if you have a mental health problem that you should just have a small menial job and have no significance and let people like him rule the world.

I've created a petition for better mental health education which would go a way to eradicate stigma if people really know what went on. Please sign it, it's in my signature :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Just to thank you for this advice as I never did :smile:

Just came back from my first appointment. Apart from a mess up where they'd given me one that was actually miles away without telling me at the beginning I managed to get someone elses cancelled slot so it was alright.
Was pretty much what I expected just explaining everything. It was frustrating not feeling like I got everything out because often I'd say something and we'd stop and focus on that, though I think all the basics got covered. He also started looking at the clock quite frequently towards the end which put me off as I felt like I had to rush though obviously they have time constraints and I understand that.
Sometimes felt like he was trying to egg certain answers out of me so he could fit it into a template of what he expected. I mean I get how that helps as then you can apply technique to it, but I felt slightly under pressure to say the 'right' thing. I was talking about the problem I have with food poisoning and we were looking at a certain time when I thought my sandwich was mouldy and he was like, "and how did you feel?" over and over again, I felt like 'anxious' was too basic but that was it and repeating myself I felt a bit silly.
I think it would be better to have longer as it felt really crammed in but I've booked another one anyway and he's given me some self help stuff to look at in the meantime, soo hopefully this is the beginning of getting better :smile:

You sound exactly like me!! :tongue:

I've been going for just under a year now and I still come out of sessions feeling that I havent said anything.. but I'm gradually learning to push forward stuff I want to talk about (I'm a slow learner.. you'll probably get there faster!! :colondollar: )

And I know exactly what you mean about time constraints.. my appointments tend to be at the end of the day and the place where we meet shuts up at 5 so we have to be out by then.. which is really annoying, but I suppose thats just the way things work :rolleyes:

And never feel as if you have to say the right thing.. because its not the 'right' thing as far as you're concerned... and you might not get exactly what you need.

Ah, the whole 'how did you feel about that??' - I hate that question sooo much!! I used to do exactly what you did and just came out with 'anxious'.. I'm still sooo bad at answering those types of questions and have made a point about how I dont want to be asked the question too much.. so my CPN has toned it down (and it forces them to be slightly more creative when trying to get stuff out of you!).. although when he does ask I have now resorted to sound effects and miming when he asks how I've felt.. adds a li'l fun in the session! :tongue:

How long did you have? Mine tend to be an hour (which I feel is too short but is pretty standard I suppose).. dont be afraid to ask for more sessions closer together or slightly longer sessions as they are there to help you and the worst they can do is say no. :smile:

Hope it all works out :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 999
Original post by Ambray
Do people have any tips on how they cope in life?
I struggle to even go to the hairdressers, which I did yesterday, and dentist is a nightmare. Have to leave in 5. I have a panic attack daily pretty much now with just day to day activities. And like I said, I have CBT, so doesn't help too much obviously.
But having to go back to school in little over a week. Well, I can't be off like I was for GCSE's and learn from home, so how do you guys do it?

It's all very well sayign grit your teeth and bear it, but it's not that easy. :frown:

I can relate to this. People say things like 'You just have to get on with it', but it's not that easy when you're going through it - however illogical my anxieties about going places or doing certain things might be, and however much I can acknowledge that, that doesn't stop the feeling of anxiety that makes me so terrified!

For school/college/uni I coped by doing as much of the work as I could at home, which meant if I did have a bad lesson where the anxiety got too much, there wasn't so much pressure to try and not get behind, so I could focus on just getting through it. For uni I ended up actually just not going to lectures anymore, but obviously not the best strategy. But it worked for me. If you can talk to your school though so they know how worried you are about going back, it's helpful just knowing they're there. Taking iPod etc to places like school/dentist/hairdressers helps me too, and having something to focus on instead of the anxiety sometimes (e.g phone, stressball), does any of that help?

Can definitely relate though!

Original post by dirtyoldriver

Well done for going to your first appointment! The first one is often the most awkward with anxiety for me, so that's a good start. :smile: Like spoinkytheduck said, don't feel pressured into giving certain answers just because it feels like that's what they want - they can only help properly if they understand correctly, and it's their job to listen to your thoughts and experiences and work with those.

I hope it keeps going well. :smile:

----

I had counselling today. I've agreed with my counsellor to try and start working on eye contact a little bit. This is a very big step for me. I make zero eye contact usually besides with my family and best friends, so usually I look at the floor or the opposite direction.

My counsellor thinks it will be too big a step to try and make eye contact straight away, but he's given me some tips like trying to start just by finding something to look at, and then building up. Scary scary stuff, I'm so, so anxious and uncomfortable with eye contact at the moment. But hopefully I can try and start working on that. :\

Quick Reply

Latest