The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Ive been prescribed citalopram 20mg for anxiety.

How long is normal before it starts working.

Dan

Usually a few weeks at the least. Good to hear that's a positive step though :smile:
Just thought I'd drop in and say that my petition is now screwed. i'm so academic has reported me having the link to it in my signature, and the mods have taken it out. I also got this lovely PM from her:

Private Message: I disagree
9 Minutes Ago: 20th September 2011 18:57
im so academic
TSR Royalty
I disagree
With regards with your signature. There is only so much time in the curriculum and the most important things have to be taught. People are leaving school without being able to read and doing basic maths.

Just because it is supposedly "taught" in schools, it doesn't mean the students will actually give a ****. Rather they would just see it as a lesson to chat in.

In fact, education these days is not "education" in the strictest sense of the word. "Schooling" would be the correct term.

But there is a fine line between schooling someone and indoctrinating people with hideous propaganda.

People leave schools these days ignorant of so many things, just what makes "mental health illnesses" so special to be taught?

And I have to laugh at this: "It could also reduce the dependancy on the NHS which the mental health services are already under. "

"Could" - that's hardly one of the best words to enhance your petition.

If you're concerned about the money on the NHS used on mental health services, the problem is not the lack of education, but the allocation of financial funds within the NHS. Privatisation of certain services could be an answer, but to think there is a direct link between education of mental health and money spent on mental health is completely absurd. Any statistics to back your supposedly casual link up?

So your argument is more or less weighted on the money used by the NHS to fund mental health issues, is it not?

I go to school to learn, not to be indoctrinated. You need to explain yourself because I think the teaching of Citizenship is frankly utter *******s and quite the shambles (as with many other things).

What you're proposing is really unrealistic. It's like the idea that PE should be kept compulsory so people are aware of how to stay healthy and get some exercise. The reality? People talk in PE theory lessons and mess about in the practical lessons so we hardly get anything done.

What you're proposing, if anything, will make people switch off from education even more and make people even more antagonistic towards mental health issues.

For me, I'm actually getting quite sick of LGBT rights, e.g. some Lib Dems want to change the requirements on passports so you don't need to declare your gender incase it offends "transgender" people, i.e. a small minority of the population.

It's pathetic.

Nice to know the mods are listening to someone who is a vile piece of ****
Original post by insignificant
Just thought I'd drop in and say that my petition is now screwed. i'm so academic has reported me having the link to it in my signature, and the mods have taken it out. I also got this lovely PM from her:

im so academic
TSR Royalty
I disagree
With regards with your signature. There is only so much time in the curriculum and the most important things have to be taught. People are leaving school without being able to read and doing basic maths.

Just because it is supposedly "taught" in schools, it doesn't mean the students will actually give a ****. Rather they would just see it as a lesson to chat in.

In fact, education these days is not "education" in the strictest sense of the word. "Schooling" would be the correct term.

But there is a fine line between schooling someone and indoctrinating people with hideous propaganda.

People leave schools these days ignorant of so many things, just what makes "mental health illnesses" so special to be taught?

And I have to laugh at this: "It could also reduce the dependancy on the NHS which the mental health services are already under. "

If you're concerned about the money on the NHS used on mental health services, the problem is not the lack of education, but the allocation of financial funds within the NHS. Privatisation of certain services could be an answer, but to think there is a direct link between education of mental health and money spent on mental health is completely absurd. Any statistics to back your supposedly casual link up?

So your argument is more or less weighted on the money used by the NHS to fund mental health issues, is it not?

I go to school to learn, not to be indoctrinated. You need to explain yourself because I think the teaching of Citizenship is frankly utter *******s and quite the shambles (as with many other things).

What you're proposing is really unrealistic. It's like the idea that PE should be kept compulsory so people are aware of how to stay healthy and get some exercise. The reality? People talk in PE theory lessons and mess about in the practical lessons so we hardly get anything done.

What you're proposing, if anything, will make people switch off from education even more and make people even more antagonistic towards mental health issues.

For me, I'm actually getting quite sick of LGBT rights, e.g. some Lib Dems want to change the requirements on passports so you don't need to declare your gender incase it offends "transgender" people, i.e. a small minority of the population.

It's pathetic.

Wait.. what? Everyone has links in their signatures, why is yours any different? Have you posted in ask a mod (if you don't, I will :unimpressed:), or is there some specific rule I'm missing? :s-smilie:

Oh and I'm going to formulate a reply to that message to her myself. I disagree. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable. Don't be disheartened - keep publicising on twitter etc, and if I don't find a valid reason for not being allowed to have it in your sig, then I will put it in mine.

:hugs:

How have you been lately, anyway?

im so academic
TSR Royalty
I disagree

It's pathetic.

what was your petition for?
Original post by Amwazicles
Wait.. what? Everyone has links in their signatures, why is yours any different? Have you posted in ask a mod (if you don't, I will :unimpressed:), or is there some specific rule I'm missing? :s-smilie:

Oh and I'm going to formulate a reply to that message to her myself. I disagree. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable. Don't be disheartened - keep publicising on twitter etc, and if I don't find a valid reason for not being allowed to have it in your sig, then I will put it in mine.

:hugs:

How have you been lately, anyway?

I brought it up in the ''about the student room'' sub forum heres the thread -----> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1786035

Quite happy that they will be re-evaluating the rules. So many issues though. And I'm So Academic really... really needs to get a grip honest to god.

I've been alright... had to go to uni for the first time today to go enrol .. they still haven't sorted my timetable and I start next week, and I need it sorting so I can arrange appointments with my psychologist. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'm just gonna go book them regardless of when I have uni and then the disability services can pay out of their own pocket to have me a note taker person to cover me in lectures.

I survived when my parents went away. boyfriend came and stayed every night which made me calmer. But now that isn't enough for my parents and they want to go away abroad for a whole week... which I'm not ready for.. before it was fine because I knew exactly where they were, and it was for 4 days, but this is another kettle of fish and they can't understand why I won't let them go... they also can't understand why I don't want to do anything for my 21st on Sunday, and keep nagging me and nagging me when its my birthday.. think they're gonna go for a meal regardless of whether I go or not.. charming!

How have you been??
I brought it up in the ''about the student room'' sub forum heres the thread -----> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1786035

Quite happy that they will be re-evaluating the rules. So many issues though. And I'm So Academic really... really needs to get a grip honest to god.

Definitely post it in AAM as well, that way they will take it doubly seriously I would hope. There seems to be a lot of confusion on the rules, but when the new rules come out, unless it is expressly forbidden, I'll put the link in my sig.

I've been alright... had to go to uni for the first time today to go enrol .. they still haven't sorted my timetable and I start next week, and I need it sorting so I can arrange appointments with my psychologist. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'm just gonna go book them regardless of when I have uni and then the disability services can pay out of their own pocket to have me a note taker person to cover me in lectures.

Fair enough, it's silly for them not to be more organised about it I guess. Good to hear you're at uni though :woo:

I survived when my parents went away. boyfriend came and stayed every night which made me calmer. But now that isn't enough for my parents and they want to go away abroad for a whole week... which I'm not ready for.. before it was fine because I knew exactly where they were, and it was for 4 days, but this is another kettle of fish and they can't understand why I won't let them go... they also can't understand why I don't want to do anything for my 21st on Sunday, and keep nagging me and nagging me when its my birthday.. think they're gonna go for a meal regardless of whether I go or not.. charming!

How have you been??

Yay! Well done :jumphug: a great achievement. Regards to going away for longer, maybe it will not be as bad as you are worrying - you thought this trip would be awful, and you did survive and coped, so maybe you will just keep getting stronger in increments and soon you'll be flying around the world for yourself! :tongue: Maybe you could suggest a takeaway or a nice meal and night in instead? :smile:

I've been OK, I've started college, and been a bit up and down for the last few weeks. I keep on swinging between loving and hating it, feeling top of the world and depressed that I'm tired all the time, etc etc. But hopefully I'll even out and be able to have a fairly good time. My brother went off to uni last week, so that's all a bit strange, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that yet :s-smilie: So just a bit uppy-downy, but more the good kind than the bad generally I think. :smile:
Hello...I hope I can join the thread :colondollar: I've suffered from anxiety/social phobia for as long as I remember, with a lovely dollop of depression on top for the last 5 years or so. I'm beating the depression but I fear my anxiety is going to get the better of me.

I spent ages crying earlier because I was reading about what one of my core modules consists of - it's 'broadcast journalism' and I have to interview people, appear on camera, record 'vox pops' (where you record random people in the street answering a question) and work with people I don't know in the slightest. I'm freaking out and no one seems to understand but I figured you guys would :frown: ugh. I'm considering going to the uni's counselling service, I can't let this hold me back :\
Definitely post it in AAM as well, that way they will take it doubly seriously I would hope. There seems to be a lot of confusion on the rules, but when the new rules come out, unless it is expressly forbidden, I'll put the link in my sig.

Fair enough, it's silly for them not to be more organised about it I guess. Good to hear you're at uni though :woo:

Yay! Well done :jumphug: a great achievement. Regards to going away for longer, maybe it will not be as bad as you are worrying - you thought this trip would be awful, and you did survive and coped, so maybe you will just keep getting stronger in increments and soon you'll be flying around the world for yourself! :tongue: Maybe you could suggest a takeaway or a nice meal and night in instead? :smile:

I've been OK, I've started college, and been a bit up and down for the last few weeks. I keep on swinging between loving and hating it, feeling top of the world and depressed that I'm tired all the time, etc etc. But hopefully I'll even out and be able to have a fairly good time. My brother went off to uni last week, so that's all a bit strange, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that yet :s-smilie: So just a bit uppy-downy, but more the good kind than the bad generally I think. :smile:

Yeah I'll post in AAM tomorrow when I'm feeling more coherent. Thankyou :smile: I know, I was surprised at how good I felt whilst they were away, and I would probably do a lot better than I think I would, but I'm just worried about my dad being away incase he had a fit, at least when they went away the other weekend it was near a hospital which helped me. Jesus if I managed to get on a plane I would be getting in lots of debt and hiring a private one to congratulate myself !haha. yeah I might look up a nice takeaway place or something. I just don't want to do anything because a. having my bf there is out of the question b. I don't want a family meal because my cousins wouldn't be able to come because of uni and stuff and i don't like half my family anyway and c. i don't yet have any friends i can do anything with because of just starting uni so yeah... rather just stay true to myself :smile:

Yeah you will definitely level out once you have routine and you know where your going and keep seeing familiar faces and rooms and stuff. i keep trying to make up excuses of not going into uni tomorrow but my boyfriend is like NO you are going and is gonna pick me up afterwards to make sure I go... its because I'm scared of being in a room with lots of other people but, like you, I will get used to it :smile:

I don't know what its like to have a sibling and for them to go, but if I try equate it to another family member it can't feel that great! i suppose try keep talking to him regularly, and look forward to christmas and summer and stuff :smile: I'm planning lots of stuff for christmas to try make it a really nice family occasion and its something to focus on :smile:
Original post by apassingfeeling
Hello...I hope I can join the thread :colondollar: I've suffered from anxiety/social phobia for as long as I remember, with a lovely dollop of depression on top for the last 5 years or so. I'm beating the depression but I fear my anxiety is going to get the better of me.

I spent ages crying earlier because I was reading about what one of my core modules consists of - it's 'broadcast journalism' and I have to interview people, appear on camera, record 'vox pops' (where you record random people in the street answering a question) and work with people I don't know in the slightest. I'm freaking out and no one seems to understand but I figured you guys would :frown: ugh. I'm considering going to the uni's counselling service, I can't let this hold me back :\

Hello :smile: thought I would reply as I have some relevant knowledge! And of course your welcome :smile:

I have anxiety problems also, and what I did was applied for Disabled Students Allowance. i don't know how much you know about this, but it isn't a case of getting money because you have anxiety. You get doctors proof that you have anxiety and depression issues. Then you have a small assessment and they go through how your anxiety and depression will affect your studies. They can then liase with your tutors and lecturers and relevant people to make arrangements to make things easier for you. For example if they require me to do a presentation, I will have the option of doing the presentation in another form either written down, or just in front of the teacher, instead of in front of everyone.

I seem to promote DSA to a lot of people, but only because its going to help me SO much and I want other people in my position to be able to benefit also. Having DSA is very discreet. Your peers won't have to know, and you get a mentor to meet once or twice a week or however often you want to talk about any problems your having .
Yeah I'll post in AAM tomorrow when I'm feeling more coherent. Thankyou :smile: I know, I was surprised at how good I felt whilst they were away, and I would probably do a lot better than I think I would, but I'm just worried about my dad being away incase he had a fit, at least when they went away the other weekend it was near a hospital which helped me. Jesus if I managed to get on a plane I would be getting in lots of debt and hiring a private one to congratulate myself !haha. yeah I might look up a nice takeaway place or something. I just don't want to do anything because a. having my bf there is out of the question b. I don't want a family meal because my cousins wouldn't be able to come because of uni and stuff and i don't like half my family anyway and c. i don't yet have any friends i can do anything with because of just starting uni so yeah... rather just stay true to myself :smile:

Sounds good :h:

Yeah you will definitely level out once you have routine and you know where your going and keep seeing familiar faces and rooms and stuff. i keep trying to make up excuses of not going into uni tomorrow but my boyfriend is like NO you are going and is gonna pick me up afterwards to make sure I go... its because I'm scared of being in a room with lots of other people but, like you, I will get used to it :smile:

:yep: Good for you, and good for him - he clearly knows the right things to do and say to help you :smile:

I don't know what its like to have a sibling and for them to go, but if I try equate it to another family member it can't feel that great! i suppose try keep talking to him regularly, and look forward to christmas and summer and stuff :smile: I'm planning lots of stuff for christmas to try make it a really nice family occasion and its something to focus on :smile:

It's a bit odd because I do really love him of course, but at the same time a whole ton of my problems originate from jealousy and other stuff relating to him (as discovered in therapy :tongue:) so it'll be weird being away from him for so long, and somehow interesting to see how it'll affect me. But I will be looking forward to when I get to see him again, and we're already skyping regularly :smile:

Hello! :hi: Welcome :biggrin:

Sounds crappy :frown: I'll let the experienced SA-ers give you some specific advice, but all I will say is definitely talk to your uni counselling. There's nothing to lose and plenty to gain (as they say :rolleyes:), in a sense, nothing bad could happen, but something beneficial just might, so you may as well really. They are very likely to be able to offer you provisions to help with your course. Good luck! :h:
Hello :smile: thought I would reply as I have some relevant knowledge! And of course your welcome :smile:

I have anxiety problems also, and what I did was applied for Disabled Students Allowance. i don't know how much you know about this, but it isn't a case of getting money because you have anxiety. You get doctors proof that you have anxiety and depression issues. Then you have a small assessment and they go through how your anxiety and depression will affect your studies. They can then liase with your tutors and lecturers and relevant people to make arrangements to make things easier for you. For example if they require me to do a presentation, I will have the option of doing the presentation in another form either written down, or just in front of the teacher, instead of in front of everyone.

I seem to promote DSA to a lot of people, but only because its going to help me SO much and I want other people in my position to be able to benefit also. Having DSA is very discreet. Your peers won't have to know, and you get a mentor to meet once or twice a week or however often you want to talk about any problems your having .

Thank you so much for the reply! I was wondering if I could get some sort of help, I don't want it to be an excuse but right now I actually can't see how I will be able to do these things. I mean for our first workshop all we have to do is bring an idea for a vox pop based on current affairs and I'm already freaking out in case I have to ask people I don't know!

My problem with this is that I've suffered in silence with my anxiety issues, my GP is aware of my depression though and I've been in counselling for that before. But they're linked, and my counsellor believed that I suffered from depression because of my anxiety. So I might go and talk to my GP as well.

I'm in my second year now, will that work against me seeing as I coped last year? :\ I will look into this though, thank you. :smile:
Hello! :hi: Welcome :biggrin:

Sounds crappy :frown: I'll let the experienced SA-ers give you some specific advice, but all I will say is definitely talk to your uni counselling. There's nothing to lose and plenty to gain (as they say :rolleyes:), in a sense, nothing bad could happen, but something beneficial just might, so you may as well really. They are very likely to be able to offer you provisions to help with your course. Good luck! :h:

Thank you :biggrin: It is really crappy - I mean obviously I knew what my degree would entail when I was applying for uni but I assumed i'd be ok with it and the rest of the course is perfect so I didn't think it'd be a big deal. D'oh! :tongue:
Thank you :biggrin: It is really crappy - I mean obviously I knew what my degree would entail when I was applying for uni but I assumed i'd be ok with it and the rest of the course is perfect so I didn't think it'd be a big deal. D'oh! :tongue:

Well one never knows what will effect one in the future :rolleyes: And you should never not to something you love because your stupid anxiety gets in the way :unimpressed:
Thank you so much for the reply! I was wondering if I could get some sort of help, I don't want it to be an excuse but right now I actually can't see how I will be able to do these things. I mean for our first workshop all we have to do is bring an idea for a vox pop based on current affairs and I'm already freaking out in case I have to ask people I don't know!

My problem with this is that I've suffered in silence with my anxiety issues, my GP is aware of my depression though and I've been in counselling for that before. But they're linked, and my counsellor believed that I suffered from depression because of my anxiety. So I might go and talk to my GP as well.

I'm in my second year now, will that work against me seeing as I coped last year? :\ I will look into this though, thank you. :smile:

Ive only just got it and i'm just in my second year so yes its fine :smile: I did suffer in silence for a long time too until I couldn't take it anymore. I've learnt to try treat my GPs as sort of robots with no emotion so that you don't feel afraid of telling me them stuff. Theres lots of different treatments and stuff they can give you and if you think of it this way (this is what my assessor told me) DSA is there to put people with disabilities on a level playing field with everyone else. Because if you think about it, right now, your not are you? Where as if you get this help and awareness with your tutors and stuff, it puts you more on a level with everyone else :smile:
Well one never knows what will effect one in the future :rolleyes: And you should never not to something you love because your stupid anxiety gets in the way :unimpressed:

Yeah, this is why I'm finally thinking 'I need to do something about this NOW'! I am glad I found this thread, I feel a bit better already knowing that people understand :loveduck:
Yeah, this is why I'm finally thinking 'I need to do something about this NOW'! I am glad I found this thread, I feel a bit better already knowing that people understand :loveduck:

:hugs: Good to hear :h: I'm off now, night! :smile:
Ive only just got it and i'm just in my second year so yes its fine :smile: I did suffer in silence for a long time too until I couldn't take it anymore. I've learnt to try treat my GPs as sort of robots with no emotion so that you don't feel afraid of telling me them stuff. Theres lots of different treatments and stuff they can give you and if you think of it this way (this is what my assessor told me) DSA is there to put people with disabilities on a level playing field with everyone else. Because if you think about it, right now, your not are you? Where as if you get this help and awareness with your tutors and stuff, it puts you more on a level with everyone else :smile:

Oh that's good then :smile: I'm glad that it's helped you so much, it sounds like it would really help me too, and to think I'd never considered it before your reply! I'm going to go see my GP next week sometime and talk to him about things :smile:
Reply 1398
Freshers is starting to get me down. I'm scared to talk to random strangers in case they think I'm weird, the few I have the conversation starts well and then tails off without even a goodbye, the friends I've made haven't called and I can't call them because I only gave out my number, the friends I had from college are ignoring my texts, I have a fair commute in and out every day which means it's an effort to come back into town and costs loads, and I'm scared to go on the club-nights because whenever I have a drink I expect to be stabbed, raped or have a heart attack on the stairs. Also the trains and buses keep running late so I look like a prat coming into the induction sessions a hot and bothered mess, making it even harder to control social anxiety and panic. Last night I just felt tired and cba going back in with a lecture at 10 in the morning, but I feel like I'm missing a once-in-a-lifetime chance. Then there's the food thing, let's not get started on that.
Please tell me this is not the defining week of my university social life? :/
I have a problem and I don't know who to ask. In June, my college got me to sign a permission slip for a trip but I said at the time that I don't want to reserve the ticket since I might not be able to go. They completely ignored me and just wanted the numbers for people going. I've now told them I can't go and they started complaining that I should've told them earlier. They now want me to pay the money but even though it's not that much, I don't want to pay for a trip that I'm not going on and considering I told them I might not be able to go. Is this fair? I'm considering just not paying but I don't want to get into trouble or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest