Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewis :D
Me too! No worries, I wrote FreSpa. I'm sure they'll know what you mean :smile:
It's all so exciting now :biggrin:

EDIT: I emailed them too out of fear they'd cancel my application :frown:

What makes you think they've cancelled it? :confused:
Original post by Banoffeepie16
What makes you think they've cancelled it? :confused:

"If, however, you have omitted to do this, you must e-mail this information to The Admissions Officer ([email protected]). If we do not receive this within 14 days of today's date, we will unfortunately have to withdraw your application."

I emailed just to make sure it was fine :lol:
Original post by Lewis :D
"If, however, you have omitted to do this, you must e-mail this information to The Admissions Officer ([email protected]). If we do not receive this within 14 days of today's date, we will unfortunately have to withdraw your application."

I emailed just to make sure it was fine :lol:

:lol: Oh I see.
I also e-mail Durham, as apparently I should have entered 'Fr Sp'.
Oops :rolleyes:
Hopefully it won't be a problem! :s-smilie:
Reply 1383
Original post by teb.93
12 A*s at GCSE, AAAAC at AS, predicted A*A*A*A*AA
French and Russian at Oxford, St. Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Bath

do you know how competitive Russian is?

Wow! I'm applying for French and Arabic at the same first three unis as you! Good luck :smile:
Reply 1384
Finally sent UCAS off!! :biggrin: I've never read and re- read something so much in my life... I keep feeling like I've still somehow entered something in wrong but at least it's out of my control now!:tongue: There was a sentence in my personal statement that I must have re- phrased about nine times... it was then that I knew I just had to click section complete, before I started destroying everything haha :redface: So relieved already (or at least for the few hours before the SAQ arrives and I start freaking out again...)
Reply 1385
Either French and Linguistics, French or French with Japanese here! :smile: Won't list my choices or grades at the risk of sounding as pretentious as some...

Good luck everyone!
What are peoples' reactions when you tell them you want to study languages?

I've had a lot of 'oooh that's really cool' but also a lot of 'why do yo want to waste 4 years of your life on that?' and 'what are you planning to do with that then?'

Original post by Joe64
Won't list my choices or grades at the risk of sounding as pretentious as some...

Sorry but, why's that pretentious?
Original post by J.tytler

I've had a lot of 'oooh that's really cool' but also a lot of 'why do yo want to waste 4 years of your life on that?' and 'what are you planning to do with that then?'

Yeah, I too have had a lot of "what do you want to do afterwards?" and "how will that work as a career?!". It's pretty annoying since I'm not entirely sure what I want to do ultimately, so my answers to those questions are always pretty...weak. :frown:
Original post by Liam6993
Yeah, I too have had a lot of "what do you want to do afterwards?" and "how will that work as a career?!". It's pretty annoying since I'm not entirely sure what I want to do ultimately, so my answers to those questions are always pretty...weak. :frown:

Me neither.. bleh... At least I'l be able to say that in 3 languages.. that's defo worth 9 grand a year :rolleyes: haha
Oh, certainly. And a language degree is definitely what I want to do, I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. I'm not doing a subject I could potentially hate just so that there's an obvious profession linked to that degree afterwards.

Everyone asks me that too- it's always, 'so you're going to be a translator then?', usually followed by a 'well, maybe...'

The good thing about languages is that in can lead to almost anything, not just the obvious jobs- translating, interpreting + teaching. :smile:

I get a lot strangers who look at me kind of weird because I don't want to teach language after and that's usually all they think you can do with a modern languages degree. I more so receive negative comments on the languages I have picked rather than the actual choice to pursue language. I get told to choose something more marketable in the business world like Chinese, Japanese, or Arabic. Those are great for people who have the desire to study them at university level, but I do not. Does anyone else get those sorts of reactions?
Reply 1392

I get a ton of "oooh that's really cool/different" comments, especially since I'm Chinese and (not to be over-generalizing or anything but) most Asian students go into sciences/maths/medicine/engineering/etc. But after that initial surprise reaction always comes "so you want to be a translator/teacher?" which is seriously the last thing I want to do!

I love languages though, and really can't see myself studying anything else. & I think studying languages in uni is just brilliant because you don't just learn the language, but you study history, literature, politics, thought, etc. :smile:
Reply 1393

Sorry but, why's that pretentious?

I don't think people tell us they got 13A*s at GCSE and are predicted 7 more A*s at A-level because they want to inform us.
Original post by Joe64
I don't think people tell us they got 13A*s at GCSE and are predicted 7 more A*s at A-level because they want to inform us.

This is an academic related site, so I think that's exactly what they're doing tbh. Maybe some people might be being pretentious, but I think the majority are just sharing because it's interesting and useful to know what other people's grades are like so you can compare yourself to the rest of your cohort.

I don't see what's pretentious about mentioning your grades on an academic forum like the student room in a discussion where it's relevant, or is that just me?
I like it when people brag about their grades, so that I can asses the competition for my course.:holmes::colondollar:
Sup :wink: wanting to study German and ab initio Spanish :biggrin:

I get the "well,that's.. interesting!" "what do you want to do with that?" and "why not Mandarin?".
I hate the last one, why would I pick a language I'm not interested in? 0.o
Original post by VickyDoodle
I get the "well,that's.. interesting!" "what do you want to do with that?" and "why not Mandarin?".
I hate the last one, why would I pick a language I'm not interested in? 0.o

true. Something I overheard in Biology this afternoon, I know its got nothing to do with languages but, 'He needs a degree to be a pilot, so why has he gone and picked something so hard like Chemistry? wouldnt it be better if he picked something easy??'
Me: 'Thanks for insulting my degree choice!'

I often get 'Why on earth would you want to keep german at university' ' Why do you want a year abroad?' After being told that on my year abroad I'll be doing research/ studying Chemistry 'Oh my god, so you'll, like, be doing chemistry IN GERMAN :eek:' I've also had 'Have you chosen it because you hate yourself?'
anyone applying for languages/combined with something else at Leeds/Hull/Dundee/Aberystwyth/Chester?

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending