The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Illmatic-
wow that gave me goosebumps *shivers* :colondollar:

Whyy, might I ask?
Original post by such_a_lady
Whyy, might I ask?

Beautifully written :colondollar: I think you've just reminded me why I love german so much :h: Though obviously substitute the male for a female :colonhash:
Reply 162
(cutting in to a conversation here, but anyway)

Yep, another -hopefully- prospective linguist here! Japanese, to be precise, and preferably combined with either history of art or international management. I applied for deferred entry last year, but got rejected 5x (well, in hindsight it probably wasn't the smartest move to use all 5 choices for one uni :wink:)

So, anyone here passionate about Japanese as well?
Original post by Kitebo

Yep, another -hopefully- prospective linguist here! Japanese, to be precise, and preferably combined with either history of art or international management. I applied for deferred entry last year, but got rejected 5x (well, in hindsight it probably wasn't the smartest move to use all 5 choices for one uni :wink:)

My sister learns Japanse and is finding it so difficult. Which uni was that!?!?!

Original post by -Illmatic-
Beautifully written :colondollar: I think you've just reminded me why I love german so much :h: Though obviously substitute the male for a female :colonhash:

Obviously. Any other languages which come to mind?
Hola a todos :smile:

Hopefully Spanish with ab-initio German for me! I like Southampton, Bath and UCL at the moment!
Reply 165
My sister learns Japanse and is finding it so difficult. Which uni was that!?!?!

SOAS. Still my dream uni. But i'm most definitely spreading the risk this year :wink:

And the difficulty factor: I agree with your sister. I've tried to learn some Chinese during the past 4 years (2 hours a week) and it was HARD.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kitebo
SOAS. Still my dream uni. But i'm most definitely spreading the risk this year :wink:

And the difficulty factor: I agree with your sister. I've tried to learn some Chinese during the past 4 years (2 hours a week) and it was HARD.

Ohh gosh! I did Latin instead, so...

Where else will you apply?
But what is there about Spanish? I mean, yeah, I get a right thrill out of "feeling" where subjunctive goes, but it doesn't have enough rules, and you don't get that weird feeling when you realise that actually, English word order sucks and you'd rather think in the other language's word order instead (although Spanish does change with prepositions and stuff).

Do you like Carlos Baute?

Spanish is FULL of thrills, and rules! The impulse battles between ser and estar, por and para, the somewhat simplicity of the imperfect subjunctive, contrasted with the huge ambiguity by words which look identical to others but with/without an accent can change its meaning and make any translation a real chin-scratcher. The whole metre of Castillian metric is like a song, surely that's exciting! Spanish has 17 moods, one of which is literary (pretérito anterior) and two judicial/administrative (futuro de subjuntivo and futuro anterior de subjuntivo), which leaves 14 for regular use. Lots of conjugations, plenty of rules and meaty grammar!

As for word order, I quite often find myself writing in a 'Spanishy' word order... it seems much more logical than English!

I'm not sure about German, but the subjunctive is so common in Spanish, and there are so many situations in which it is used, and pronouns which it follows (unlike in French, when it normally follows que). There is perfect, imperfect AND present subjunctive, and for each of these there are 2 sets of conjugations... for any language student this puts the thrill in thrilling. :biggrin:
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Spanish is FULL of thrills, and rules! The impulse battles between ser and estar, por and para, the somewhat simplicity of the imperfect subjunctive, contrasted with the huge ambiguity by words which look identical to others but with/without an accent can change its meaning and make any translation a real chin-scratcher. The whole metre of Castillian metric is like a song, surely that's exciting! Spanish has 17 moods, one of which is literary (pretérito anterior) and two judicial/administrative (futuro de subjuntivo and futuro anterior de subjuntivo), which leaves 14 for regular use. Lots of conjugations, plenty of rules and meaty grammar!

As for word order, I quite often find myself writing in a 'Spanishy' word order... it seems much more logical than English!

I'm not sure about German, but the subjunctive is so common in Spanish, and there are so many situations in which it is used, and pronouns which it follows (unlike in French, when it normally follows que). There is perfect, imperfect AND present subjunctive, and for each of these there are 2 sets of conjugations... for any language student this puts the thrill in thrilling. :biggrin:

Okay, that's just confirmed the fact that I really need to work on my Spanish grammar because clearly we haven't been taught very well.
Spanish is so NOT full of rules; it's all about "feeling" where everything should go :tongue: Although that corresponds to the personalities of the countries. Germany, full of rules. Spain, full of feeling. :tongue:
And I HATE trying to work out whether to use por or para, or worse, trying to choose between fue, era, estaba and estuvo. Arrrk.

Well I used to be fluent in Dutch but its not exactly the top man when it comes to global languages, though Holland is absolutely beautiful :h:. You must visit it, Amsterdam preferably :sexface:...

I joke, I joke

Arabic is also another language which is, imo, beautiful. If you ever hear Arabs conversing, their passion is just truly infectious xD
Reply 170
Ohh gosh! I did Latin instead, so...

Where else will you apply?

Edinburgh, probably. And Sheffield. Not exactly sure if I actually want to go to Sheffield, though. Most people on TSR who applied for Japanese last year are raving about it, but I prefer large cities :smile:
Okay, that's just confirmed the fact that I really need to work on my Spanish grammar because clearly we haven't been taught very well.
Spanish is so NOT full of rules; it's all about "feeling" where everything should go :tongue: Although that corresponds to the personalities of the countries. Germany, full of rules. Spain, full of feeling. :tongue:
And I HATE trying to work out whether to use por or para, or worse, trying to choose between fue, era, estaba and estuvo. Arrrk.

Aha :smile:
I reaaallly regret not having the chance to learn German :frown: it sounds like a really interesting language. There's still time I guess :biggrin:

I'm logging off TSR now, as much as I'd love to debate Spanish rules for a few hours more, aha :tongue: Night!

P.S. In response to your question earlier, I don't know who Charles Baute is :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Aha :smile:
I reaaallly regret not having the chance to learn German :frown: it sounds like a really interesting language. There's still time I guess :biggrin:

I'm logging off TSR now, as much as I'd love to debate Spanish rules for a few hours more, aha :tongue: Night!

P.S. In response to your question earlier, I don't know who Charles Baute is :tongue:

:colone:

Amarte Bien

Quien Te Quiere Como Yo

Colgando En Tus Manos

Te Regalo

If you have any respect for the Spanish language at all, I expect you to close all your other windows tomorrow and watch these with your full attention. :tongue: There are more brilliant ones, such as Sueno Con Poderte Encontrar, Loquitos De Amor, Donde Esta El Amor Que No Duele, Cuando Tu No Estas, Ni Bien Ni Mal Sino Todo Lo Contrario.... all amazing songs and will all get stuck in your head :tongue: I can live without a boyfriend if I have Carlos Baute; I think I listen to him every single day and he reminds why I do, as unlikely as it may sound, love Spanish. He's beautiful :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Why is everyone so interested in spanish??? I mean spain's a very popular country nowadays but at my school we have never been offered spanish at GCSE or A level.....

Only german and french.... :/
I love the german course at Aston uni, but I want to do maths and german and you cant there :frown:
Is anyone else interested in Aston for German and/or is there any other unis with a similar course? :smile:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Why is everyone so interested in spanish??? I mean spain's a very popular country nowadays but at my school we have never been offered spanish at GCSE or A level.....

That's a shame. I really wish my school offered German, but no joy :/
I guess it just depends on the school you go to.
He's beautiful :tongue:

:eek: You're certainly right about the beautiful part :colondollar:
I love the songs too! :biggrin: Thanks so much for introducing him to me :tongue:
Reply 177
Original post by Kitebo

Yeah, me! Hoping to study it with Spanish, but I might do Japanese+Linguistics at some places, depending on availability/entry requirements.

Original post by BeccaCath94

I wish the school I went to for GCSEs did German. My cousins that go to another school do German and it sounds awesome. But Spanish is lovely. I like it because it's widely spoken, sounds beautiful and the culture of Spain and Latin America is interesting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 178
Original post by Pi!
Yeah, me! Hoping to study it with Spanish, but I might do Japanese+Linguistics at some places, depending on availability/entry requirements.

Yay! Applying to SOAS & Edinburgh as well, or completely different uni's?

Spanish & Japanese... Interesting combination. Where I'm from, the only option is often either Japanese ór Spanish. Or, better said, a combination isn't offered as a standard programme, you would actually have to register independently for both courses.
Reply 179
Original post by Kitebo
Yay! Applying to SOAS & Edinburgh as well, or completely different uni's?

Spanish & Japanese... Interesting combination. Where I'm from, the only option is often either Japanese ór Spanish. Or, better said, a combination isn't offered as a standard programme, you would actually have to register independently for both courses.

I'm probably not going to apply to SOAS because I want to leave London (where I live at the moment) and I haven't thought about Edinburgh. I'm thinking about applying to Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield, Manchester and maybe Southampton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending