The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SimplyComplex
I would definitely talk to your referee about it again. Most of the time, people go up a grade from the grade they got at AS, unless there's a good reason why a teacher may think you won't achieve it.

Our school says you're likely to go down a grade from AS unless you were right on the borderline :s-smilie: Though with hard work its possible.
Original post by VickyDoodle
Our school says you're likely to go down a grade from AS unless you were right on the borderline :s-smilie: Though with hard work its possible.

Different colleges say different things, I guess. I definitely agree with hard work getting an A is possible. Some people find the gap from AS to A2 quite vast, so I can understand when some teachers will predict you a grade under if you're just on the borderline. However, my friend was several marks into an A and our new French teacher has predicted her a B due to her A2 class/homework. :s-smilie: It depends on the college/teachers and how lenient they are with these things.. Some don't want to over-predict in case someone doesn't achieve the grade(s). Whereas, under-predicting someone isn't a good thing either, seeing as there will be other students who already meet and exceed the offer grades fighting for the same place.
Sent my application off today! Leeds, Aston, Hull, Dundee & Chester! soooo nervous, guarantee i don't get an offer from leeds or aston! =|
Original post by JakeE10
Sent my application off today! Leeds, Aston, Hull, Dundee & Chester! soooo nervous, guarantee i don't get an offer from leeds or aston! =|

Good luck dude!!
Yaaay. Just got an offer from Nottingham to study French and beginners German! So, so happy. :smile:
Reply 1785
Got my 4th offer today from Reading, two offers if you will, BBB-ABC both with B in French :smile: Sooo chuffed! Just want Leeds to get back to me now!
Original post by holbets
Got my 4th offer today from Reading, two offers if you will, BBB-ABC both with B in French :smile: Sooo chuffed! Just want Leeds to get back to me now!

Congrats! You Maltese btw?
Reply 1787
Original post by Lewis :D
Congrats! You Maltese btw?

Partially, yes :smile: Why do you ask? :smile:
Original post by holbets
Partially, yes :smile: Why do you ask? :smile:

Saw the flag and was curious :smile:
Reply 1789
Original post by Lewis :D
Saw the flag and was curious :smile:

Ahh, I'm slightly more patriotic towards Malta than England if I'm honest. I lived there until three years ago, so that probably explains things.
Interview at Cambridge, December 2nd... :O
Original post by Deceiver
Interview at Cambridge, December 2nd... :O

Good luck dude.
My application's just been sent to UCAS, not sure if I'm scared or excited. :P I'm applying for German and ab initio Russian at Durham (Van Mildert), UCL, Leeds, Nottingham and Bristol,. :smile:
Original post by thisisaweirdbus
My application's just been sent to UCAS, not sure if I'm scared or excited. :P I'm applying for German and ab initio Russian at Durham (Van Mildert), UCL, Leeds, Nottingham and Bristol,. :smile:

You're excited!
Original post by .snowflake.
You're excited!

I think I am, been checking UCAS obsessively since I paid and sent on Monday, so I'm happy it's been sent. :smile:
I think I am, been checking UCAS obsessively since I paid and sent on Monday, so I'm happy it's been sent. :smile:

I paid nearly a month ago. should have sent it like, 13th Oct. bottled, handed PS to german teacher, got it slagged off.
Eventually got sent yesterday. 2 acknowledgements later, I seriously want to crack into the bottle of bucks fizz downstairs. but my rational mind says, save it until MMU reject you.
Getting it sent's the worst part, at least it's done now. :smile: Where did you apply? And good luck.
Getting it sent's the worst part, at least it's done now. :smile: Where did you apply? And good luck.

MChem Chemistry + German -UCL
MChem Chemistry with a year in Europe - York
- Sheffield
- UEA
MChem Chemistry - MMU

Hearing my form tutor/ chem teacher say he spent his degree feeling like an idiot and that he wasnt clever enough fills me with hope. </sarcasm> He's like THE cleverest man I know.
Reply 1798
Has anyone looked at Leeds yet?

Haven't had the chance to go, but it seems to have a good vibe...although the University guides tend to rate it down, which is annoying.

I'm applying for UCL, Leeds, KCL, Newcastle, and Manchester; all courses varying on the theme of Spanish and Linguistics, or Spanish and French.

Thanks in advance
Original post by jamieS
Has anyone looked at Leeds yet?

Haven't had the chance to go, but it seems to have a good vibe...although the University guides tend to rate it down, which is annoying.

Thanks in advance

I've been to leeds yeah :smile: Its a really nice uni i like it!!! Its a campus uni in a good location with good transport links and good facilities :smile: It has a bit of character too unlike some of the more modern ones! Not everyone likes it but I do :biggrin:

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending