The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you took the industrial experience in the 3rd/4th year, but you wanted to go onto Postgrad after the course would it be better to take the Mchem on its own?
Reply 2
Original post by JackVT
If you took the industrial experience in the 3rd/4th year, but you wanted to go onto Postgrad after the course would it be better to take the Mchem on its own?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean :colondollar:

Are you asking if it's better not to take the industrial experience/not worth it if you're going to be applying for postgrad?

Whether or not you take an option for industrial experience you'll still end up with an MChem (assuming you didn't enroll on the BSc).
Reply 3
In Chemistry Msci you would have specific topics you continue to study in 4th year, where as Industrial experience you do learn some topics but not as much detail because you got the industry side.

What im asking is are those topics you learn in extra detail going to be much more beneficial if going into post grad.
Reply 4
Original post by JackVT
In Chemistry Msci you would have specific topics you continue to study in 4th year, where as Industrial experience you do learn some topics but not as much detail because you got the industry side.

What im asking is are those topics you learn in extra detail going to be much more beneficial if going into post grad.

Ah okay, well where I did my degree the industrial expereince people took some of the core modules from the third year on distance learning and when they came back in the fourth year they did a smaller research project, allowing them to pick up most of the modules from the normal third year on top of the fourth year ones.

The exacts will obviously vary from course to course, but missing out on a few modules won't hinder you for postgrad :nah:
Reply 5
Original post by EierVonSatan
Ah okay, well where I did my degree the industrial expereince people took some of the core modules from the third year on distance learning and when they came back in the fourth year they did a smaller research project, allowing them to pick up most of the modules from the normal third year on top of the fourth year ones.

The exacts will obviously vary from course to course, but missing out on a few modules won't hinder you for postgrad :nah:

Ok thanks for that, im applying to

Oxford
Durham
UCL
Nottingham
Birmingham
Reply 6
I can't believe that it's this time already, seems like only yesterday I was choosing my GCSE options.

Pretty sure I'm applying to Warwick, York, Manchester and Birmingham as long as I can convince my Chemistry teacher to raise my predicted grade to an A so I can apply for the MSci/MChem courses otherwise I'll be apply for a mixture of MSci/BSc.

That shouldn't really be a problem either though as I'm pretty sure I can transfer onto the MChem/MSci course when I'm at University.

Not really sure about my 5th choice though, would it be a good idea to apply to both the MSci and BSc at Birmingham? I like the University and the grade requirements are different for each course so if I was accepted onto the BSc I could use it as an insurance if I got an offer.
Reply 7
No point applying to both the BSc and MSci at a single university :nah: it's possible to move up from the BSc to the MSci mid-way through the course (normally up to the end of the second year - grades permitting) so it's a wasted choice.
not really chem but I wanna do NatSci and do both chemistry and biology :smile:
Reply 9
I have a couple of questions...

1. How did you link any of your outside interests to Chemistry? I know I need to come off as well-rounded without diverting attention away from my interest in the subject, but it's tough :frown:

2. What did you think of your degree?

3. Pre-offer interviews: what kind of things do they ask you?

4. Maybe this isn't the perfect place for this question, but in regards to Oxford for Chemistry - how seriously do they consider GCSE grades? I did OK, but not A*s around the board or anything. I feel that I could make their A Level requirements (and I'm picking up Maths in september, which they require to at least AS).

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Accalia
I have a couple of questions...

1. How did you link any of your outside interests to Chemistry? I know I need to come off as well-rounded without diverting attention away from my interest in the subject, but it's tough :frown:

2. What did you think of your degree?

3. Pre-offer interviews: what kind of things do they ask you?

4. Maybe this isn't the perfect place for this question, but in regards to Oxford for Chemistry - how seriously do they consider GCSE grades? I did OK, but not A*s around the board or anything. I feel that I could make their A Level requirements (and I'm picking up Maths in september, which they require to at least AS).

Thank you :smile:

1. I assume for purposes of placing them in your personal statement? Wouldn't worry too much about this, just try to relate the things you do to the skills you pick up and why that benefits you in doing a degree. For example, playing a team sport builds team work which is useful for working in groups on projects.

2. For the most part I really enjoyed it, there were bits I hated and it was hard work at times but I don't have any regrets about doing one.

3. That's really going to depend on the type of place. Most places this is a simple formality and will ask you pretty generic questions such as why you are interested in chemistry, your favourite area and why at that institution. In places like Oxford you'd expect a more technical interview.

4. I don't believe that they're that fussy with regards to GCSEs, so long as they're good and you have very good A-level grades.
Reply 11
x

How good were you at practical work before you went? I didn't get to do much of it in high school, and whilst the amount I do now has increased and I've signed up for extra practical sessions, I'm still not very confident with my ability :frown:

That, and I always get paranoid I've spilt something.
Original post by Accalia
How good were you at practical work before you went? I didn't get to do much of it in high school, and whilst the amount I do now has increased and I've signed up for extra practical sessions, I'm still not very confident with my ability :frown:

That, and I always get paranoid I've spilt something.

Rubbish, I had next to no experience in labs - I think I did around three experiments in my A-level :smile:
Reply 13
yeah i'm applying for chem at oxford amongst other places :smile: got a lot of reading to do over summer though! And an extended project to do on oscillating reactions.

Here's what I've done so far if anyones interested :smile:

Reply 14
Rubbish, I had next to no experience in labs - I think I did around three experiments in my A-level :smile:

Oh, well that's reassuring :biggrin: thank you.
Reply 15
Original post by teakay
yeah i'm applying for chem at oxford amongst other places :smile: got a lot of reading to do over summer though! And an extended project to do on oscillating reactions.

Here's what I've done so far if anyones interested :smile:

What were the concentrations and amounts of those chemicals, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you know which books you're going to try and get through for extra-curric reading?

:tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Accalia
What were the concentrations and amounts of those chemicals, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you know which books you're going to try and get through for extra-curric reading?

:tongue:

Sorry i really can't remember! i kind of had the basic solution then increased the concentration of ferrion and potassium bromate to make the colour difference more clear :smile:

yeah I do:

Why Chemical Reactions Happen
Oxygen: the molecule that made the world
The Chemistry of Life
Molecules at an exhibition
An introduction to Nanoscience (if i can understand 10 pages i'll be happy)
A big A2 level textbook, cant remember it's name
The Double Helix
Surely you're joking Mr Feynman
Foundations of Physics for Chemists

I'm away for a good 3 weeks with nothing much to do but windsurf and lie on a beach so :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by teakay
Sorry i really can't remember! i kind of had the basic solution then increased the concentration of ferrion and potassium bromate to make the colour difference more clear :smile:

yeah I do:

Why Chemical Reactions Happen
Oxygen: the molecule that made the world
The Chemistry of Life
Molecules at an exhibition
An introduction to Nanoscience (if i can understand 10 pages i'll be happy)
A big A2 level textbook, cant remember it's name
The Double Helix
Surely you're joking Mr Feynman
Foundations of Physics for Chemists

I'm away for a good 3 weeks with nothing much to do but windsurf and lie on a beach so :smile:

I know what you mean - I think the majority of this holiday will be spent reading, and three of those weeks will be spent reading on a beach. Good luck with all that though, I find non-fiction a struggle to get through when it's not preparing for an exam :tongue: I'll need all the practice I can get.
Reply 18
Original post by Accalia
I know what you mean - I think the majority of this holiday will be spent reading, and three of those weeks will be spent reading on a beach. Good luck with all that though, I find non-fiction a struggle to get through when it's not preparing for an exam :tongue: I'll need all the practice I can get.

hahaa yeah tell me about it! ahh hopefully i can get through it :smile: ahaha yeah it is a bit of a drag but some of them aren't all textbooky so :smile:
Reply 19
x

Before applying, did you ever get the feeling that you just weren't good enough to pursue it at a higher level, or worry that you wouldn't be able to cope?

Latest

Trending

Trending