The Student Room Group

Do banks look at your "First sitting" A level results?

My problem is i got BBC this year and intend to apply again with A*AA in 2012 after retaking the year.

If i manage to get into a top 6 uni for a finance course and get a 2:1 at the end of it, will i be disadvantaged as i took 3 years to do my A levels?

The only bank who i can see ask about "first sitting" results is goldman sachs in their application process.
Does that mean i could just not list my BBC and say i achieved A*AA in 2012? and only tell them if they ask?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bummppyy
Reply 2
Extenuating circumstances?
Reply 3
Original post by Inflation
Extenuating circumstances?

I was ill but i can't really prove it so i guess no extenuating circumstances.
Would they really care if i still got into a uni like Warwick?

Also, why would someone neg rep me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by uxa595

It wasn't me but I guess it could be because you're assuming you can get definitely get A*AA after getting BBC the first time around.
Yes I imagine they would, provided those results were available for them to see. Don't see why they would ignore them...
Reply 6
Original post by Millyshyn
It wasn't me but I guess it could be because you're assuming you can get definitely get A*AA after getting BBC the first time around.

I couldn't revise during june and barely got out of bed for the exams, but my ****k up was i didn't report it to the college or go to a doctor which i can see is really stupid now.

Also at AS, i got 92% in maths, ~85% in chem and 75% in Econ, so i don't think A*AA will be a stretch if i'm retaking a whole year.
Reply 7
Original post by The Patriot
Yes I imagine they would, provided those results were available for them to see. Don't see why they would ignore them...

Not to be rude but is that a wild guess?

I wouldn't really put it down if they don't ask me to list: all colleges you have been to/all the resits i have done/First sitting results only.

There arn't even really any requirements for banks, just a "good academic background" so do you think even if i got into the likes of warwick to do A&F, i would have problems getting into banks because of my resit year?
Original post by uxa595
Not to be rude but is that a wild guess?

I wouldn't really put it down if they don't ask me to list: all colleges you have been to/all the resits i have done/First sitting results only.

There arn't even really any requirements for banks, just a "good academic background" so do you think even if i got into the likes of warwick to do A&F, i would have problems getting into banks because of my resit year?

I seriously can't imagine Warwick taking you, considering that you're taking your A-Levels over three years, and the fact that you only achieved BBC in your first sitting, and A&F is one of Warwick's most competitive courses.
Reply 9
Original post by uxa595

Wawrick, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE (the unis you're talking about) would never let you in having taken three years to do your A levels. Reason being that they'll have thousands of superb applicants with great grades who have done it in the time you're meant to, so why would they let you in if, frankly, you've ****ed up? Be realistic.
Reply 10
Original post by Tsunami2011
I seriously can't imagine Warwick taking you, considering that you're taking your A-Levels over three years, and the fact that you only achieved BBC in your first sitting, and A&F is one of Warwick's most competitive courses.

Hmm, the admissions officer told me he doesn't really mind resits for accounting.
However, for economics it's a whole different matter and you are really disadvantaged.
Original post by uxa595
Hmm, the admissions officer told me he doesn't really mind resits for accounting.
However, for economics it's a whole different matter and you are really disadvantaged.

I think you should settle for BO. Be realistic, not getting a single A at A-Level is quite alarming.
Reply 12
Anyone know the answer to the original question ? :confused:
I've just been looking at all their sites and them seem to have nothing in their entry requirements or application section except for goldman sachs.

I don't even have to list down i did resits on all but one (GS) of them as they don't ask for any resit grades.

Also, there is no way i would work in BO.
Original post by uxa595
I've just been looking at all their sites and them seem to have nothing in their entry requirements or application section except for goldman sachs.

I don't even have to list down i did resits on all but one (GS) of them as they don't ask for any resit grades.

Beggars can't be choosers brah. At this moment in time, you're not even good enough for that, you'd need about ABB+ With your A-levels, I can't see you getting into a target or semi target, so ops may be your best bet.
lol at the all the significance being placed on A-levels. They're merely a formality and just there to filter out the seriously bad students.

Do your retakes, if you think you can get the A*AA then do it regardless of your position with respect to IB. There's no reason why you should stick with a result on the back of your illness, do it so it matches your ability.

Getting into a top 10 (and even a top 6 bar oxbridge) university with a retake year is more common than people think. I know some people who have done so at my uni (Imperial) although it's unlikely for their extremely competitive courses.

As for IB, if you can show through your university results and your experiences that you're actually a very competent individual then I am sure they won't need convincing of your illness being the cause of your first sitting results.
If your A-levels after the 3rd year are good enough to get you into a good course at a good uni, they won't hold you back unless employment prospects become so **** that HR start nitpicking.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by uxa595

Original post by uxa595

Obviously it isn't as good as achieving over 2 years but, in my opinion, it is better to retake and get into a good university with A*AA then settle for a university that is less highly regarded just because you've ****ed up.

If you focus and can show the banks you have learnt from your mistake and if you get onto a top course at A&F at Warwick you should be fine.

Also, people on this forum need to stop this whole FO/BO thing. If you don't get into FO, you don't "settle" for BO. That's retarded. They are two completely different jobs. If you want to be a trader, you work your ass off to be a trader, you don't suddenly settle for a completely different role (BO). Likewise I'm sure there are some people who want a good work-life balance and are aiming for BO as it's a well rounded, well paid job.

Anyways, yeah if you get into a top 6 and do something useful over your Summer, achieve high at Uni and do all the usuals (ECs, work exp, know your **** etc) I would think you will be fine (again just my opinion - don't want to give false hope!)
Original post by The_Don_123
Obviously it isn't as good as achieving over 2 years but, in my opinion, it is better to retake and get into a good university with A*AA then settle for a university that is less highly regarded just because you've ****ed up.

If you focus and can show the banks you have learnt from your mistake and if you get onto a top course at A&F at Warwick you should be fine.

Also, people on this forum need to stop this whole FO/BO thing. If you don't get into FO, you don't "settle" for BO. That's retarded. They are two completely different jobs. If you want to be a trader, you work your ass off to be a trader, you don't suddenly settle for a completely different role (BO). Likewise I'm sure there are some people who want a good work-life balance and are aiming for BO as it's a well rounded, well paid job.Anyways, yeah if you get into a top 6 and do something useful over your Summer, achieve high at Uni and do all the usuals (ECs, work exp, know your **** etc) I would think you will be fine (again just my opinion - don't want to give false hope!)

Not true. I know Warwick sociology grads, who were desperate to get into IB, but BO was all they could get, due to their 'soft' degree. So it, depends, it's a generalisation, but most people in BO aren't able to make it to FO/MO, and have to settle for the crumbs metophorically speaking.

Not true. I know Warwick sociology grads, who were desperate to get into IB, but BO was all they could get, due to their 'soft' degree. So it, depends, it's a generalisation, but most people in BO aren't able to make it to FO/MO, and have to settle for the crumbs metophorically speaking.

Well those are the type of people that are just in it for the cash and would burn out pretty quickly anyway.

If you genuinely have a passion for Trading/IBD/Research or whatever you wouldn't "settle" for something different.. It's like going from wanting to be a Pilot to working as checkin staff at an airport or something. Makes no sense.

They'd be in it for the quick money, not for their interest to develop a career in finance. They'll settle easily, BO at IB > any other job a typical sociology grad gets.

I agree with The Don, for people who want it as a career don't settle. If they can't get in an IB, then you're better of aiming for the same desk at a boutique or a start up firm.
The salary may not be as good as it would be if they settle for MO or BO, but sticking to your field of interest will pay off in the long haul.

You get more traders coming from a small firm being hired into IB than you do those who settled from MO/BO. Anybody planning on joining BO and climbing the ranks to FO can just forget about it. It's like entering the NHS as a nurse and planning on coming out as a doctor by the end.
Reply 19
Well, i've asked wbs admissions, the admissions officers assistant and the admissions officer who is yet to reply. But the first two who should have a genuine idea said for econ i have no chance but for A&F i have a have chance even though i'm resitting.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending