The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chignesh10
Thanks, what unis did u apply to? And what did you put in yoru application?
Are you a member of the RSC?

Applied to Imperial, Durham and Nottingham for chemistry with a year in industry.

Yes, I am an RSC member. I mentioned going to GSK for a school trip and a few things about reading around my subjects. I talked of an interest in an area- the idea of entropy.

I talked of my other A-levels as well, but I don't know whether that is necessary or helpful.
Original post by Killjoy-
Applied to Imperial, Durham and Nottingham for chemistry with a year in industry.

Yes, I am an RSC member. I mentioned going to GSK for a school trip and a few things about reading around my subjects. I talked of an interest in an area- the idea of entropy.

I talked of my other A-levels as well, but I don't know whether that is necessary or helpful.

In your personal statement, do you really need to talk about various chemistry related things you did? Did you get into Imperial?
In your personal statement, do you really need to talk about various chemistry related things you did? Did you get into Imperial?

Yes, I got an offer from Imperial.
I think it would be an advantage, but I'm not an admissions tutor.
Make sure your grades are good first and foremost :smile:

I didn't really worry about this until yr.13; I'd advise starting to draft your PS and think about uni choices after the summer exams.
Yes, I got an offer from Imperial.
I think it would be an advantage, but I'm not an admissions tutor.
Make sure your grades are good first and foremost :smile:

I didn't really worry about this until yr.13; I'd advise starting to draft your PS and think about uni choices after the summer exams.

Hmm...what were you grades like? Do you think Imperial is competitive? Sorry for all teh questions, but what was the Imperial interview like? And what sort of chemistry related activities did u do?
Reply 1184
Hey guys, a few questions...
I am applying for chemistry next year..!

I was wondering what books I can read? I am going to receive online copies of Chemistry World but what else?
And what about lectures or any chmistry events?

I'm a member of the SCI and get a fortnightly magazine - Chemistry and Industry.

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything has a lot of science-related content and I really enjoyed it. Would also recommend Richard Feynman.
Reply 1185
Try 'Why chemical reactions happen' by James Keeler and Peter Wothers.

Have you registered with chemnet? (I suppose you must have if you're getting chemistry world.) New scientist is also a safe bet as well as really interesting, and a good book that's re-capped some stuff that I did already for my course is 'Chemicals for Life and living' - by Eiichiro Ochiai, that's quite interesting. Try to read some non-science stuff too though, partly for the 'rounded person', partly as you don't want your head to explode! ^-^
Original post by hapbuk
Have you registered with ? (I suppose you must have if you're getting chemistry world.) New scientist is also a safe bet as well as really interesting, and a good book that's re-capped some stuff that I did already for my course is 'Chemicals for Life and living' - by Eiichiro Ochiai, that's quite interesting. Try to read some non-science stuff too though, partly for the 'rounded person', partly as you don't want your head to explode! ^-^

Haha, do you recommend being a member of Chemnet or RSC?
Original post by megan205
I'm a member of the SCI and get a fortnightly magazine - Chemistry and Industry.

Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything has a lot of science-related content and I really enjoyed it. Would also recommend Richard Feynman.

Hi, thanks , I'll try those books!
Hmm...what were you grades like? Do you think Imperial is competitive? Sorry for all teh questions, but what was the Imperial interview like? And what sort of chemistry related activities did u do?

Grades were As in the sciences and maths.
The Imperial interview isn't too bad- you get invited to an open day type event with a twenty minute interview.
I was asked two questions from my PS. Other students were asked to think / work through things they hadn't met yet.

Imperial is competitive, but it isn't their most competitive course in terms of the grades they ask for compared with their other courses (Chem is typically AAA whereas offers for other courses can be as high as A*A*A or A*AAA.) I got an A*AA offer - I suspect this is because part of my interview didn't go well.

My only chemistry related activity was the GSK trip, so I'm not the best person to ask on that front!
(edited 12 years ago)
Grades were As in the sciences and maths.
The Imperial interview isn't too bad- you get invited to an open day type event with a twenty minute interview.
I was asked two questions from my PS. Other students were asked to think / work through things they hadn't met yet.

Imperial is competitive, but it isn't their most competitive course in terms of the grades they ask for compared with their other courses (Chem is typically AAA whereas offers for other courses can be as high as A*A*A or A*AAA.) I got an A*AA offer - I suspect this is because part of my interview didn't go well.

My only chemistry related activity was the GSK trip, so I'm not the best person to ask on that front!

Hmm, so Imperial didn't really seem to care a lot about chemistry stuff you did but more about grades and interview?
What did u write in ur PS , about chemistry or ECs?
Hmm, so Imperial didn't really seem to care a lot about chemistry stuff you did but more about grades and interview?
What did u write in ur PS , about chemistry or ECs?

I don't know about that, its best to cover both grades and interest.
I didn't write about ECs because I don't really have many :colondollar:
Original post by hapbuk
Have you registered with chemnet? (I suppose you must have if you're getting chemistry world.)

Yep, but I don't use it often.
The Chemspider database can be quite useful when checking names of compounds, I don't know whether that is part of chem net though.
I don't know about that, its best to cover both grades and interest.
I didn't write about ECs because I don't really have many :colondollar:

Hm, your personal statement must have been amazing since you got into Imperial!
What did you mention then :tongue:
Reply 1192
Haha, do you recommend being a member of Chemnet or RSC?

Hi, thanks , I'll try those books!

(I seem to remember when I did it you get a chemnet membership that links you in with the RSC too, and it says so on the card they send you...) Chemnet is the site aimed at students, you get mailed lectures they're holding (unfortunately they're all around the london area so not too helpful if you don't live near) and lots of the Meet The Universities type events, which are handy for questioning those you're interested in before open days, and you can speak to many in an aftenoon.
Original post by hapbuk
(I seem to remember when I did it you get a chemnet membership that links you in with the RSC too, and it says so on the card they send you...) Chemnet is the site aimed at students, you get mailed lectures they're holding (unfortunately they're all around the london area so not too helpful if you don't live near) and lots of the Meet The Universities type events, which are handy for questioning those you're interested in before open days, and you can speak to many in an aftenoon.

Ah ok, so Chemnet is worth it? Yeah I live in London so maybe thats alright. Also, do you get the Chemistry World magazine? I checked on the website , there arent many events that Chemnet have...hmm
Reply 1194
Ah ok, so Chemnet is worth it? Yeah I live in London so maybe thats alright. Also, do you get the Chemistry World magazine? I checked on the website , there arent many events that Chemnet have...hmm

It comes with the package I think. You can buy a single or two year subscription in one go, and you get full membership and a subscription to Chemistry World (one magazine a month... or two per month as they sometimes come a bit late :s-smilie:)
Ah- London, you'll be fine. It's a shame they do very little outside. There's a lot of things in Salter's Hall.
Original post by hapbuk
It comes with the package I think. You can buy a single or two year subscription in one go, and you get full membership and a subscription to Chemistry World (one magazine a month... or two per month as they sometimes come a bit late :s-smilie:)
Ah- London, you'll be fine. It's a shame they do very little outside. There's a lot of things in Salter's Hall.

What unis have you applied to?
What sort of stuff did u add in your personal statement
Reply 1196
Anyone do Nuffield science bursary here?

i did mate
Original post by Messara2
i did mate

Ah ok, are you chemsitry applicant this year? Where did u get ur offers?
Also, do you think doing hte bursary was worth it?
Reply 1198
What unis have you applied to?
What sort of stuff did u add in your personal statement

I applied to Southampton, Bath, Cardiff, Sheffield and Warwick. In my statement I put why I liked Chemistry, a little about my other As/A-levels, a bit about a couple of work-experience placements, and then a couple of hobbies. ^-^ It's especially important to put why you like the subject... above everything else, though mentioning any ways that you continue to further your interests in spare time such as reading journals or magazines/attending lectures is good to do, as it shows your commitment.
I hope this helps :smile:
I'm not applying this year but thought this'd be a good place to ask my question. Does anyone know the difference between Biochemistry and Medical/Biological Chemistry. I'd be interested in either going into Pharmaceuticals or perhaps grad entry medicine.

Any explanations please :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending