The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, has anyone had an interview at York for chemistry??
Got mine on monday and nervous about what it's like and what to wear
:frown:

Help anyone???
Original post by Faiza_Z_A

Help anyone???

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure that admissions will be the most pressing thing on their mind if you read the BBC link above :sadnod:

However, my York interview was easy - nothing chemistry came up and we just had a discussion about how nice York was :lolwut: . However, every interview is different. Just make sure you're competent in chemistry, you know something vaguely chemistry-ish from the news that you can talk about should they ask, but otherwise, just have fun! :h:

Also, they should not and will not judge you on your clothing. Just wear whatever's most comfortable, though if you want to make an effort, just go for smart casual. Many people dress up in suits, but I put on a nice pair of jeans and still got an offer :dontknow:

Help anyone???

I had loads of fun at my York interview! Loved it. We talked about organic stuff so the guy drew out a complicated compound and asked me to identify functional groups. This went on to us talking about heroine, morphine and ethanoic acid. Unlike the other interviews i've had, this guy seemed to care about me as a person and asked about what I like to do outside of chemistry and about the non-academic things in my statement. :biggrin:

I wore jeans and a jumper as it was freezing... Coming from down south, it was a bit of a shock to feel the sharp north wind on my face. Wrap up!
Original post by Fishbulb25
I had loads of fun at my York interview! Loved it. We talked about organic stuff so the guy drew out a complicated compound and asked me to identify functional groups. This went on to us talking about heroine, morphine and ethanoic acid. Unlike the other interviews i've had, this guy seemed to care about me as a person and asked about what I like to do outside of chemistry and about the non-academic things in my statement. :biggrin:

I wore jeans and a jumper as it was freezing... Coming from down south, it was a bit of a shock to feel the sharp north wind on my face. Wrap up!

Pfft. Blooming southerners. It's not THAT cold up north. Anyone would think you'd gone to the arctic!
Original post by .snowflake.
Pfft. Blooming southerners. It's not THAT cold up north. Anyone would think you'd gone to the arctic!

Yuh huh it was!! It was like going on the front of a rollercoaster in pouring rain, like little bullets to the face.
Original post by Fishbulb25
Yuh huh it was!! It was like going on the front of a rollercoaster in pouring rain, like little bullets to the face.

ouch...know the feeling..painful. and i believe ive felt that in LONDON! im sticking to my beloved capital! (how can anyone survive out there without an oyster...)

And thanks to the people who adviced me! make notes! ( i think i'll be okay with that) and be good at chemistry... (if you believe in it strongly enough, it will become true...)

but what about the interviews?!
Reply 1306
still haven't heard anything from Durham and I applied before the oxbridge deadline, wtf is going on.
Reply 1307

Help anyone???
When I had my York interview back in December, as long as you go you're guaranteed an offer (they told us at the end of the day). Which was really lucky for me, seeing as the interviewer grilled me with a load of chemistry questions, from stuff I hadn't done yet :frown: However, had I brushed up on my chemistry a bit more before I went I would have been fine, and this type of interview from York seems to be an anomaly. Still got the ABB offer too, and this was by far my worst interview. :smile:

I just wore what I normally do for sixth form (as did most people there), smart, but not rocking a suit and tie. :tongue:
Reply 1308

Help anyone???

Be ready to be asked about analysis - most people I spoke to were asked about it :P

Also, go over what was in your PS, they paired me up with someone who was an expert at what I'd wrote about :rolleyes: As for dress, I just wore a smart shirt/suit trousers, same as most other people. It's not especially formal, so don't worry :smile:
I had my chemistry interview on Thursday.
Unfortunately, when I got there I discovered the building was on fire... Alas, no interview. Still got an offer though the next day ABB (A in Chem).
If you read the email they sent out to everyone saying they wanted to interview it does that you're guaranteed an offer, you just have to turn up.
With regards to clothing, everyone there was wearing jeans and tee-shirts, not one person was 'dressed up'. As someone said, just wear what you'd wear to school. Wearing a load of FCUK probably isn't a good idea really.
Ok, feel loads better now guys.
Thanks sooooo much for your help everyone :smile:
Now all i need is for the trains out of london not to be cancelled because of snow :s
Original post by Joshc93
still haven't heard anything from Durham and I applied before the oxbridge deadline, wtf is going on.

I applied a little after the deadline but still haven't heard anything either. Rang them the other day and they said don't be expecting anything within the next couple of weeks. Very tense times!:angry:
Original post by Joshc93

Original post by dworth1993
I applied a little after the deadline but still haven't heard anything either. Rang them the other day and they said don't be expecting anything within the next couple of weeks. Very tense times!:angry:

They're taking all the time they're entitled to :h:

It'd be like your invigilators requesting your exam in 20 minutes before the end :tongue:
Original post by Nirgilis
They're taking all the time they're entitled to :h:

It'd be like your invigilators requesting your exam in 20 minutes before the end :tongue:

Still, doesn't stop me being any more anxious about it, especially when others have started getting offers :frown:
so who has actually had an interview from UCL? and what were they asked?
Anyone sat the Chemistry olympiad this year?
Was anyone else at the Bristol open day on Tuesday? Just had the letter come through the door saying I've got an offer :biggrin:

Nearly cried when I opened the envelope and saw the word 'unfortunately' but then realized it said 'unfortunately UCAS won't let us tell you your exact offer' (or words to that end).

:biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 1317
Anyone had an interview at Sheffield? Mine's tomorrow, just wondering what to expect. Then an interview at York on Monday 20th February
Original post by Tom172
Anyone had an interview at Sheffield? Mine's tomorrow, just wondering what to expect. Then an interview at York on Monday 20th February

I have york tomorrow, then sheffield next week. Do you want to swap notes?
Reply 1319
Original post by .snowflake.
I have york tomorrow, then sheffield next week. Do you want to swap notes?

Yeah sure! I'll send you a message tomorrow when i get home from Sheffield

Latest

Trending

Trending