The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

International Relations and Global Issues Msci

hi, Iv'e gotten conditional for the course as well as for the normal politics one :biggrin: The problem is that they want 4A's and a B in my Higher subjects (Irish Leaving Cert) but I managed 2 A1's and 2 A2's but got a C2 in Eco :s-smilie: Do you think they still might consider me for the place?? Even though i'm missing the B? Any ideas?

Also if anyone can tell me about the course? How hard, whats the workload like? Any info about school life would be much appreciated as well
Reply 1
I've just finished the first year.

The degree is very good. Roads to Modernity is not soul-destroying but rather incredibly interesting. Admittedly, some of the lectures aren't great, but that goes the same for any other subject/module you take. Yet what you cover is fascinating and the seminars are fun and useful, taught in a similar way to my A level history. There is a lot of interlinking between the history taught here and a lot of the politics, so it's all worthwhile.

This year I'm off to Hong Kong University for my year abroad. It should be amazing. You have to get at least a 2:1 to go abroad so, when the previous writer said first year doesn't count, he/she has no idea what he is talking about. But the degree is worth the hard work it sometimes requires. Unlike the standard politics degree, you will achieve a masters after all. Also, you can choose to drop Power and the State as a module and in the second semester European Politics, and opt for another module. I couldn't recommend this more. In my first year I've done subsidiaries in Feminist philosophy, Arabic and English literature.

Your compulsory modules in politics are Global Politics and Political Ideas. On the Msci course you have a seminar per week for Global Politics which proves incredibly useful, while for Political Ideas its the same as the rest of the politics students. Seminars are always interesting battlegrounds for political argument. In the Msci course, that is not something you can shy away from.

Good luck for your first year. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Josh Fraser
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by joshgfraser
I've just finished the first year.

The degree is very good. Roads to Modernity is not soul-destroying but rather incredibly interesting. Admittedly, some of the lectures aren't great, but that goes the same for any other subject/module you take. Yet what you cover is fascinating and the seminars are fun and useful, taught in a similar way to my A level history. There is a lot of interlinking between the history taught here and a lot of the politics, so it's all worthwhile.

This year I'm off to Hong Kong University for my year abroad. It should be amazing. You have to get at least a 2:1 to go abroad so, when the previous writer said first year doesn't count, he/she has no idea what he is talking about. But the degree is worth the hard work it sometimes requires. Unlike the standard politics degree, you will achieve a masters after all. Also, you can choose to drop Power and the State as a module and in the second semester European Politics, and opt for another module. I couldn't recommend this more. In my first year I've done subsidiaries in Feminist philosophy, Arabic and English literature.

Your compulsory modules in politics are Global Politics and Political Ideas. On the Msci course you have a seminar per week for Global Politics which proves incredibly useful, while for Political Ideas its the same as the rest of the politics students. Seminars are always interesting battlegrounds for political argument. In the Msci course, that is not something you can shy away from.

Good luck for your first year. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Josh Fraser

With out sounding to intrusive, what A levels did you? I only ask because I hope to be applying to study this course in the future with A levels in Gov & Pol, Sociology and World Development so I'm just checking around. Thanks.
Reply 3
he guys
i'm thinking for applying for International Relations and Global Issues MSci
but have applyed for history and politics joint honours degrees at my other univeristies. would you recommend this degree? can you still take a lot of 'politics' modules/choice? also with going abroad in year 2 have you found it easy to keep up with friends back in nottingham and how do the living arrangements work in year 3 and 4? finally how is the social side of going to nottingham?
if anyone can answer any of these questions it would be great :smile::biggrin:
Reply 4
"he guys
i'm thinking for applying for International Relations and Global Issues MSci
but have applyed for history and politics joint honours degrees at my other univeristies. would you recommend this degree? can you still take a lot of 'politics' modules/choice? also with going abroad in year 2 have you found it easy to keep up with friends back in nottingham and how do the living arrangements work in year 3 and 4? finally how is the social side of going to nottingham?
if anyone can answer any of these questions it would be great"

The answer to both your first questions is 'yes'. I would recommend it and if you wish to focus on the politics side you can do that too. With regards to 2nd year, I am away this year, but I still have accomodation sorted for next- my friends have bought a house and there's a spare room, awaiting my arrival back :wink: So not too much hassle for me. The rest of my friends abroad are in similar situations as I am.

Then again, you can go away in 3rd year instead, if you so wish as to not miss out on 2nd year frolics at home. I chose 2nd year because I saw no reason NOT to go this year. I wanted a break from home comforts! I've met so many people from all over the world, friends from different countries and this is an experience that whilst I personally enjoyed, if you're the type to get home sick, you wish to stay in your comfort zone or you don't particularly like travelling, you'd find it hard, whatever, then it's not for you, as Daniel above says. And I would be lying if I didn't say it sometimes isn't difficult- culture differences, language barriers, work stress.

Personally though, I've made good friends here, travelled a lot and the courses and lecturers are all excellent. People tend to be understanding and helpful. The opportunity to study abroad is practically a once in a life time experience- I was no way going to not do it. And because you're studying abroad, there's no need to pay tuition fees for this year. Also, if you study in Europe, you get a grant from the Erasmus scheme which gives you the equivalent of £300 per month. It's hard living abroad for the year, but amazing at the same time. I don't regret it one iota and it has taught me so much.
With regards to friends and family- I keep in touch with those at home on a regular basis thanks to the brilliant invention Skype and I'm going home on 5th december, so plenty of time to visit 'em before xmas. Friends tend to write you when you're abroad, esp. people you wouldn't expect to. You're not forgotten!

As for the social side of Nottingham, my friend, I may be a little biased, but it is possibly the best student life in the country. The Student Union has societies for literally everyone and everything under the sun. In the first year I was part of the student theatre, Impact magazine and swimming soc. There are loads of bar and club events if that's your thing, drinks are relatively cheap. Loads of places to get food, student deals around the town. And because it's in the middle of England, you're not too far off visiting your friends/home in most places.

Someone asked me what Alevels I did- not intrusive at all, I did History, English, Politics and Spanish.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me on [mod edit - do not reveal e-mails] because i'm barely on student room.

best wishes,
Josh
Reply 5
Hi, I've got an unconditional offer to study this course at nottingham this year, the course interests me a lot but I'm a bit put off by the second year abroad. is it possible to do a third year abroad and if it is possible would it be very complicated?
Hi
I've firmed for this course & I've been reading blogs from past students and final years etc and I think you can do third year abroad instead of 2nd.
What A-levels did you do and what grades did you get to get onto this course?? thanks!
I'm 26 so I did an access course sorry I can't help you :frown:
Original post by Toby_hall
Hi, I've got an unconditional offer to study this course at nottingham this year, the course interests me a lot but I'm a bit put off by the second year abroad. is it possible to do a third year abroad and if it is possible would it be very complicated?

im in year 12 and really want to get onto this course, what A levels did you take and what were your predicted grades? also any tips on what I should do to get a place as spaces on this course are limited.
Original post by annabelsmith2001
im in year 12 and really want to get onto this course, what A levels did you take and what were your predicted grades? also any tips on what I should do to get a place as spaces on this course are limited.

Hi, haven't got an unconditional but I applied really early and got an offer almost immediately. If it helps I'm taking econ, history and politics and got predicted A*A*A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending