The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

MSc Speech and Language Therapy Uni of Reading 2024 Application

Hi there,

I've applied for the MSc Speech and Language Therapy University of Reading 2024 but haven't heard back yet. Is this normal? Has anyone else heard from them yet regarding their application?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Innie6001
Hi there,

I've applied for the MSc Speech and Language Therapy University of Reading 2024 but haven't heard back yet. Is this normal? Has anyone else heard from them yet regarding their application?

Hi, I applied to MSc Speech and Language Therapy at Reading (want to start in 2024).
I applied on 17th September 2023 and they emailed me with an interview date on 13th November 2023.
So it was quite a long wait- so I'm sure they will get in contact with you shortly.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hi there,

Hi @innie6001!

So sorry for the wait but rest assured this is no fault of your own - these things can often take quite a while due to the amount of applications and planning round interviews etc. I remember waiting a few weeks after submitting my application to get my interview confirmation, so this is totally normal.
I know it is quite hard to wait in anticipation but the team are working really hard to get through all the applications as quick as they can so try not to panic too much - they will get back to you as soon as they can.

In the meantime if you have any questions at all , please let us know!

Good luck!!
Skye 🙂
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student
I was invited to an interview last week
Reply 4
Original post by elevenlions
I was invited to an interview last week

Me too! Got the invite just after starting this thread
Reply 5
I was thinking of applying for a Masters in SLT at Reading after my undergrad degree. The website says "All applicants must have been awarded their undergraduate degree before applying". So does that mean that I can't apply in my final year of uni, I would have to have a gap year so that I will have my degree grade already. Or is it possible to get a conditional offer?
Original post by TangyPanda
I was thinking of applying for a Masters in SLT at Reading after my undergrad degree. The website says "All applicants must have been awarded their undergraduate degree before applying". So does that mean that I can't apply in my final year of uni, I would have to have a gap year so that I will have my degree grade already. Or is it possible to get a conditional offer?

Hey @TangyPanda

So good to hear you're thinking of SLT! What are you currently studying?

Where did you find that on the website? Sorry - I'm trying to have a look myself to look more into it for you, but can't seem to find that! For most of our courses you would be able to apply with predicted grades, so I will see if I can find out what it means for you and get back to you if that's okay! If that is the case, it may be due to the competitiveness of the course, but it may be that you can apply on conditional grounds so I will try to gather more information for you.
Sorry for the confusion and that I'm not much help at this moment in time but we will get back to you when we have clarified,I just don't want to give you incorrect information as I'm a student myself and applied for the MSci so it was different for me. However, if you have any questions about Reading or the SLT course in the meantime, please do ask away!

Skye 🙂
Original post by TangyPanda

Hey @TangyPanda

I have had confirmation of the situation for you:
I can confirm you do NOT need to have your degree before applying, but this is a very recent change which explains why you may have seen it but I cannot seem to find it now. Therefore, you can apply on the grounds that you will have your undergraduate degree by the time you start the course and could be given a conditional offer. I have been informed that they will likely be looking for those doing something similar/related to SLT. The website states this:
"Normally a good undergraduate honours degree (a good 2:1 or above), or equivalent from a university outside the UK, in a related field such as linguistics, psychology, medical sciences or education. Other degree subjects may be considered on a case-by-case basis."

So you would be able to apply in your final year and if successful, given a conditional offer based on obtaining the required level of degree when you get your result, like most other courses.

Hope this helps!

Skye 🙂
I'm also applying. How did you guys find the application portal? It is awful imo! Won't let me submit even when everything is completed. The website is so slow from the stone age! Has kinda put me off the uni
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2
I'm also applying. How did you guys find the application portal? It is awful imo! Won't let me submit even when everything is completed. The website is so slow from the stone age! Has kinda put me off the uni

I didn't find it too bad. It definitely was a bit outdated though. I wouldn't let it put you off the uni though - when I went for a look round the clinic and department looked great!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 10
I got accepted to Reading last week! If anyone else is starting the MSc in September and wants to chat feel free to drop me a message! 🙂

Hi Anonymous!

So sorry to hear you've been having trouble with the portal. Has it resolved or is there still something you're struggling with? If so, do let us know and we can pass on to someone to have a look into it perhaps.

Great to hear you're thinking of applying though! Let us know if you have any questions at all about the course or the uni itself (aside from the obvious portal issues!) - we'd be so happy to help.

Good luck!
Skye 🙂
I got accepted to Reading last week! If anyone else is starting the MSc in September and wants to chat feel free to drop me a message! 🙂

Was the interview tough? Was it group interview?(I hate those!)

How long did the process take from application to interview to being offered? X
Reply 13
Was the interview tough? Was it group interview?(I hate those!)

How long did the process take from application to interview to being offered? X

I applied end of October and got offered an interview in early December for the end of December.

There is a group interview followed by a 1-1 interview. I’d urge you not to worry too much about the group interview though as everybody was friendly and the interviewed made sure we all got a chance to talk.

Yes I’d say the interview questions were quite tough compared to other places I interviewed but nothing crazy or specific they just made you think.

I would say some long-term experience with people with communication difficulties is probably needed to answer the interview questions.
(edited 3 months ago)
I applied end of October and got offered an interview in early December for the end of December.

There is a group interview followed by a 1-1 interview. I’d urge you not to worry too much about the group interview though as everybody was friendly and the interviewed made sure we all got a chance to talk.

Yes I’d say the interview questions were quite tough compared to other places I interviewed but nothing crazy or specific they just made you think.

I would say some long-term experience with people with communication difficulties is probably needed to answer the interview questions.

Thank you for the reply very helpful.

Disappointing that the interview questions are tougher than other masters ones. Reading likes to act like a Russell Group university for some reason.
Reply 15
Original post by ktjfp
How long did you have to wait after your interview before you had a decision?

I had to wait 2 weeks over Christmas before I got accepted.
I had to wait 2 weeks over Christmas before I got accepted.

Thank you!
Original post by Amykav
Hello thanks for this! I have my interview on the 5th feb. can you please remember any of the questions for the interview? Or what the group interview was like! Many many thanks 🙂

I would agree that the group interview isn’t something to worry about! It feels more like an open discussion and everybody is in the same boat so when you settle into it I found that the 30 minutes flew by!
Reply 18
Original post by Amykav
Hello thanks for this! I have my interview on the 5th feb. can you please remember any of the questions for the interview? Or what the group interview was like! Many many thanks 🙂

Hiya, we aren't supposed to give info on interview questions or anything on here. The group task was more of a discussion. There were about 12 of us and we had 5 minutes to read the info before chatting about it and having a group discussion. If you've worked with people with communication issues you will find the interview much easier in terms of questions and examples they ask for.
Reply 19
Has anyone heard back yet from 05/02 interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending