The Student Room Group

QMUL or SOAS?

Hi, I have been accepted to QMUL for Msc public mental health and SOAS for MA Medical Anthropology and Mental Health. Which one is better if my end goal is to work for NGO’s in low-middle income countries? Thank you for any help
Reply 1
I don't much about the differences in their reputations, but I know SOAS has a focus on teaching issues related to Africa, Asia and the Middle East so it make sense to go there if your end goal is to work with an NGO in middle to low income regions. On the other hand, QMUL is a Russell Group university...
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by slowtempo
I don't much about the differences in their reputations, but I know SOAS has a focus on teaching issues related to Africa, Asia and the Middle East so it make sense to go there if your end goal is to work with an NGO in middle to low income regions. On the other hand, QMUL is a Russell Group university...

Thank you so much for your reply! That is actually my issue. SOAS reputation for African studies vs QMUL being a russell group uni. Also as the course at soas is more policy based with more statistics etc but SOAS is much more anthropology based. So I don’t know which is best😭
Original post by NestaWane
Hi, I have been accepted to QMUL for Msc public mental health and SOAS for MA Medical Anthropology and Mental Health. Which one is better if my end goal is to work for NGO’s in low-middle income countries? Thank you for any help

SOAS has a strong reputation esp in regional courses.
Original post by NestaWane

Hello!

I'm currently studying the MA Social Anthropology at SOAS and I also did the Medical Anthropology: Global Perspectives module. I really enjoyed the module. It's a really good critical evaluation of Biomedicine as a culture, and how it's practice and ideology shift based on disease, social and geographical context e.g. HIV and its treatment and prevention in Iran and Psychoanalysis and Islam in Egypt. My favourite part of the module was "Syndemics" and the idea that diseases are predicated just as much on social factors as they are biological ones and how this has been utilised but also weaponised. I think this module and the degree in general give you an opportunity to look at health and illness in a variety of global and social contexts along the lines of culture, class, queerness, gender and mobility and I really enjoyed that, especially because my bachelors was in a Biological subject which didn't provide a lot of nuance in that regard.

I might be bias because I am studying Social Anthropology but I think the anthropological lens creates a good foundation for doing well informed and reflective work in low-middle come countries. Also, if you already know what region your interested in you can choose an ethnographic location that aligns with that. It'll give you a better contextual understanding of that area and you could try and do your dissertation in that region. SOAS has alot of academics with a wide range of different geographical focuses - So if you plan ahead it could be doable (and a nice career move).

Also If you're interested in looking at policy and statistics you could consider taking an Economics module or a module from the Centre of International Studies and Diplomacy. Have a look at the open options!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Monica

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending